Updated Mods for FAF and Vanilla / Steam

Everything about mods can be found here.

Moderator: Morax

Re: Updated Mods for FAF and Vanilla / Steam

Postby Franck83 » 07 Jan 2017, 23:07

I looked to the video resin and you did an amazing work. Ressurection and reflected projectiles are very usefull features that can be added to make unique units.
The black hole effect is technically impressive.

You are still coding mods for FA ?
Alliance of Heroes Mod is out ! Try it ! It's in the Mod Vault !
Franck83
Evaluator

Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 122 times
FAF User Name: Franck83

Postby Resin_Smoker » 08 Jan 2017, 18:37

Franck83 wrote:I looked to the video resin and you did an amazing work. Ressurection and reflected projectiles are very usefull features that can be added to make unique units.
The black hole effect is technically impressive.

You are still coding mods for FA ?

Na... Like I said in a prior post, I've moved on.

Dont get me wrong, I really enjoy modding and the time spent working others to achive a greater goal. Unfortunately, the FAF community really isn't conducive to modding.

Note: UI modding is doing ok as that doesn't alter the game or units.

Instead, the sole focus of the community is balence, which IMO, has taken all of the creative life out of the game. Some may choose to disagree with this notion, which I can understand but one has only to look at the number of new mods being developed / released to realize that I'm right.

Cheers,

Resin
Resin_Smoker
Evaluator

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 106 times

Postby Franck83 » 08 Jan 2017, 22:28

I agree with you that creativity is the key. Modding can bring original games to long term success (DotA is from warcraft 3 creative modding).

Developping mod is very time consuming, and it is pain work since there is poor documentation. Sadly, it may have not the true gratefulness from community that it costs :( .

What i know from several months modding in FA is that the potential is here and is HUGE. All we need is competent modders and positive thinking and support from the community.

Because, there are always good ideas in creative modding and we need to focus on them. Negative thinking is motivation and energy burning.

The hardest work i think is to grab all good ideas in a coherent work that do no break the original game's DNA. What a challenge :!: But there s a place for creativity !
Franck83
Evaluator

Postby Resin_Smoker » 08 Jan 2017, 22:51

Well you can easily build off 4DC / DMS once you understand them. Granted allot of what Domino and myself did looks like total giberish, it works. Keep in mind that a fair amount of the material is custom... models, animations, icons and effects were all made by multiple highly skilled contributors over several years. (Talking thousands of manhours) While several mods may have done outstanding work with unit mods or custom units, few if any really attempted to change the game. Only difference is that 4th-D and 4DC failed due to changing to much to late to make a difference.

Note: Take a closer look at the Seraphim beam-tenticle. It's a one of a kind unit and could be modded to be "attached" to an existing unit. Made that while I was on deployment to Italy several years back. Never did get around to making the hydra unit I wanted with it. Maybe you can try?

Resin
Resin_Smoker
Evaluator

Postby Franck83 » 08 Jan 2017, 23:40

Yes, i will study 4DC / DMS. I'm lacking in command function understanding for now (like your ressurection command button in the video).

Take a closer look at the Seraphim beam-tenticle. It's a one of a kind unit and could be modded to be "attached" to an existing unit. Made that while I was on deployment to Italy several years back. Never did get around to making the hydra unit I wanted with it. Maybe you can try?

An hydra unit, what a nice idea :) ! It needs 3D blender skills !

For know, i'm busy on metatables. i'm trying to made the sync functions working on child database. For now, sync functions are only working in the UnitData.Data[key] table in unit.lua.

That's annoying for any custom data further mod dev. Trying to make my custom data sync on every child database.

Code: Select all
Sync.Data = {}
MyData = {}
MyData.global ={}

function SetSync(data)
   MyData = data
end

SyncMetaMyDataGlobal = {
    __index = function(t,key)
      local Domain_id = rawget(t,'Domain_id')
      return MyData.global[Domain_id .."_" .. key]
    end,

__newindex = function(t,key,val)
      local Domain_id = rawget(t,'Domain_id')
      rawset(MyData.global,Domain_id .. "_".. key, val)
      Sync.Data = MyData
    end,
}

function LinkDataBase(Domain_id)
   local Domain = {}
   Domain.Domain_id = Domain_id
   setmetatable(Domain,SyncMetaMyDataGlobal)
   return Domain
end

function Inc()
   LOG(repr(MyData))
   Shields.Fixed = Shields.Fixed + 1
end

-- Init technologies example that are automaticly sync'ed
Shields = LinkDataBase('Technologies_Shields')
Shields.Power = 100
Shields.Regen = 100
Shields.EnergyConsuming = 100

When theses architectural impediments will be removed, my mod dev will be boosted !

The 4DC mod will be under study :geek: !
Franck83
Evaluator

Postby Resin_Smoker » 09 Jan 2017, 01:47

Look into DMS... Domino came up with a way of updating the meta in real time from any other part of the script. A warning however, this can be abused.

I'd suggest PM'ing Domino directly as he often does check the boards here and after all that was his baby.

Resin
Resin_Smoker
Evaluator

Postby Resin_Smoker » 09 Jan 2017, 01:52

Another thhing... SIM tables and UI tables often don't mesh well. First off only cirtian things are being passed and second there is a difference between the SIM speed and the games graphical speed. Look around in forums for a few posts detailing this.
Resin_Smoker
Evaluator

Postby Resin_Smoker » 09 Jan 2017, 02:00

While i am thinking of it.... Projectile deflection: Never did crack that nut 100%. Aparently the OnImpact for Units is faster the the same fuction for shields or the Projectiles Inpact is too fast. I forget which!

Anyways, getting it to work is sometimes hit or miss as there is allot of things that can factor into an impact event triggering. Even when properly logged the events don't always make sense. Basicly its a case of who's triggering first.

Keep in mind that a projectiles physical speed is also a factor! Too fast a projectile can mean it passes right thru the shield, impacting the unit instead. All the while the logs for both the unit and shield can trigger showing the impact took place. Bit of coarse if the projectile is no longer in play due to registering the unit impact first, the shield OnImpact events fail to run.

Note: In the video all i did there is use the Units OnImpact to revector the projectile back the way it came. While this worked it wasnt optimal for shields considering the issues I saw with them. Could be a tick rate issue but who knows.

Let me see if i can find the script....
Resin_Smoker
Evaluator

Postby Resin_Smoker » 09 Jan 2017, 02:12

Here is a video of a projectile bouncing between two shields: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC7IefN ... e=youtu.be

Full-blown combat: https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... 0w_H1yUU60

v3.0 of my last attempt: http://www.mediafire.com/download/rbzk1 ... ons_v3.rar

Link to relavent thread: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=7444

Another relavent project: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6526
Resin_Smoker
Evaluator

Postby Franck83 » 09 Jan 2017, 09:24

Here is a video of a projectile bouncing between two shields: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC7IefN ... e=youtu.be

Full-blown combat: https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... 0w_H1yUU60

v3.0 of my last attempt: http://www.mediafire.com/download/rbzk1 ... ons_v3.rar

Yes, it's a very cool feature that i wanna well adding in my mod. A special shield skill that can be train with a % chance to reflect damage. Thanks for the code, i will take a deep look. We can add some crafting skills. For exemple, why not engineering some armor with special features like % reflecting. That s not so difficult to do.

Another thhing... SIM tables and UI tables often don't mesh well. First off only cirtian things are being passed and second there is a difference between the SIM speed and the games graphical speed. Look around in forums for a few posts detailing this.

You are talking about sync functions ? yeah, myxir help me several months ago to understand how to sync sim and ui values. Then taking back Ui values with simcallbacks. It's ok now. I can sync from sim to ui then ui to sim. it's one of the most important thing to know for modding.
The thing i wanna do, is to sync sub table. For example, Unit.Sync.Armor will sync but not Unit.Sync.Armor.Resist. This can be skirted, but finding how to do it may add some comfort coding.

Keep in mind that a projectiles physical speed is also a factor! Too fast a projectile can mean it passes right thru the shield, impacting the unit instead..
This can be a special unit feature :) . A special attack that goes thru the shield.

Let me see if i can find the script....

If you have any script code of any kind, i'm interested. The deflector shield thread is very nice. Why not doing melee units with crush damages ? Ty for the post Resin.

Do you know how to make invisible units ? I'm not talking about invisible to radar, but real invisibility.
Franck83
Evaluator

PreviousNext

Return to Mods & Tools