Speed School of FAF

Need help? This is the right place!
Note, reporting bugs and issues should be in the Tech Support forum!

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Re: Speed School of FAF

Postby Darth_Google » 17 Oct 2016, 22:56

Hello, do you still give advice on the replays?
A useful guide for a newer players that i find a great success following to.

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=13336
Darth_Google

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 12 times
FAF User Name: Darth_Google

Postby speed2 » 17 Oct 2016, 22:57

Darth_Google wrote:Hello, do you still give advice on the replays?

Yes
speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

Postby Darth_Google » 17 Oct 2016, 23:22

I've posted a replay in a replay analysis thread with me losing to a turtle player. The problem is.. i had a rough idea on how to turn the tables on him, though fumbled an execution, but if the guy would choose not to turtle and rather hit me wiht units i'd lose earlier. But at least i have an idea on what to do with turtling players.

The real issue is i try to main an Aeon and im really struggling against either early raids on maps like Theta and in the same time if enemy chooses to turtle it feels like you cant really break in with Aeon. Obsidians are quite expensive and dont seem really effective against t2 PDs esp. if shielded, Blazes i dont even try and Auroras with shields are still Auroras. And after that the turtle is just a step ahead of me: by the moment i bring MMLs he already have shield and begins on TMD, so i have to wait for t3. I grow bored and try to do something before that, do a stupid mistakes like building a TML battery while already struggling on mass and all that because i grow so frustrated with the slow slugfest.

I can do decent with UEF or Cybran in a situations like these but with Aeon im really struggling against turtling. Part of the issue is i find it hard to raid or defend from raids with Aeon since i rely on microing Auroras and if 4 Mantis come in after the mexes you cant just put 5 strikers there and expect them to win because Auroras tend to lose when not microed and in the same numbers.

Replay ID is 5277401

I play as UEF there and lose but this applies to Aeon too i think, it;s just even harder and more infuriating because if i'd play the same game with Aeon.. it'd be even worse. It must be some common mistakes i make if the same issue keeps appearing but i fail to recognise it.

Darth_Google

Postby speed2 » 18 Oct 2016, 13:58

Darth_Google wrote:I've posted a replay in a replay analysis thread with me losing to a turtle player. The problem is.. i had a rough idea on how to turn the tables on him, though fumbled an execution, but if the guy would choose not to turtle and rather hit me wiht units i'd lose earlier. But at least i have an idea on what to do with turtling players.

The real issue is i try to main an Aeon and im really struggling against either early raids on maps like Theta and in the same time if enemy chooses to turtle it feels like you cant really break in with Aeon. Obsidians are quite expensive and dont seem really effective against t2 PDs esp. if shielded, Blazes i dont even try and Auroras with shields are still Auroras. And after that the turtle is just a step ahead of me: by the moment i bring MMLs he already have shield and begins on TMD, so i have to wait for t3. I grow bored and try to do something before that, do a stupid mistakes like building a TML battery while already struggling on mass and all that because i grow so frustrated with the slow slugfest.

I can do decent with UEF or Cybran in a situations like these but with Aeon im really struggling against turtling. Part of the issue is i find it hard to raid or defend from raids with Aeon since i rely on microing Auroras and if 4 Mantis come in after the mexes you cant just put 5 strikers there and expect them to win because Auroras tend to lose when not microed and in the same numbers.

Replay ID is 5277401

I play as UEF there and lose but this applies to Aeon too i think, it;s just even harder and more infuriating because if i'd play the same game with Aeon.. it'd be even worse. It must be some common mistakes i make if the same issue keeps appearing but i fail to recognise it.

speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

Postby Darth_Google » 18 Oct 2016, 16:08

Thank you very much for this!

Ill try to comment on my side. I have a hard time actually knowing where to look. For example, the ACU and fac were idle because i was busy looking after bomber and trying to avoid any AA when i see it or find a good isolated engies. And when i do i find it hard to divert my attention elsewhere.

Also i genuinely belived there's more than a single entry on the base and could not reclaim the big rock but good to know you can do it though.

I built 2 pstorages instead of one when i realised im behind on units so i could OC clumped units and negate an advantage until its overwhelming, and yeah, gun rush was planned, its just.. could not do it soon enough with powerstall.

In the end though i think i would've fare better with sweeping the army south instead of throwing it through the gauntlet in the middle or maybe should've get a tac on standby. I went with com to the right side hoping on baiting him out of the turret coverage, because i realised that im far behind on eco, map control, and he invested so much mass in the base in the middle so i needed to at least try to attack else the percies hit. I mean im dead for sure already so why the hell not?
It did not worked, sadly, though he actually lost his units and had to pull back his com with a ~3k hitpoints.

I play w/o mods so knowing where the most of the reclaim is requires a decent map knowledge.

Also, when i tried to set up an attack move from the fac the engie goes there but does not reclaim things in that big range. Whats the trick on getting it right?

And on the matter of t2 mexes - i know it sounds odd but how do you know when enemy is going for them? I mean.. yeah, i should scout and i do but maybe i need to do it more often. In other plays i noticed that mexes go darker on color though they are still marked as t1 if there's no radar coverage. How this works exactly?

Darth_Google

Postby angus000 » 18 Oct 2016, 20:39

Your macro is terrible. You walked with your acu right at the beginning, your build order was messed up, you didn't queue up units in factories fast enough, you didn't expand beyond your secure perimeter, you didn't stop air production while E stalling at the beginning, you wasted mass all game! How are you 1300 rated? No offense intended, just amazed.

You need to try to improve your BOs and expanding. You had already lost after the first 4 minutes, if not before.
angus000

Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 39 times
FAF User Name: flexible

Postby Darth_Google » 18 Oct 2016, 21:26

angus000 wrote:Your macro is terrible. You walked with your acu right at the beginning, your build order was messed up, you didn't queue up units in factories fast enough, you didn't expand beyond your secure perimeter, you didn't stop air production while E stalling at the beginning, you wasted mass all game! How are you 1300 rated? No offense intended, just amazed.

You need to try to improve your BOs and expanding. You had already lost after the first 4 minutes, if not before.

You just have not seen the most interesting and embarassing part where i walk my ACU all around the map and die on my opponent's base. :D

On a more serious note, that is true. I have to say only that its literally the first time i try to go a 2nd air with bomber first in that patch and obviously thats how you DONT do it. Also i went for a scout before the bomber though the scout can catch up. Im experimenting in a sandbox for a BOs right now because i only memorised a generic hydro rush so far and thats whats im going for usually. Fac+4 mexes and then assist on the hydro or build a pgen before going for hydro.

The good ratio for factories is about one per two mexes considering they are building all the time, right?

Spoiler: show
The thing with the rating is i was playing FAF more than a year ago and mostly it was a custom games with friends doing things more on instinct. I developed a feeling on a BO and was using just that w/o really thinking on how many pgens or mexes per fac i need. And now when im back i forgot something and something has changed: for example, im pretty sure that hydro+pgen or two or trees was enough to get away with building bomber back then because thats about how i got away with that. Not sure on the exact ratio because as i said it did not care to remember exactly how it worked and on what ratios since working was good enough for me. Heck, i rediscovered that you can alt+rmb your Auroras just a few days ago because i remember there was a trick for them but did not remeber WHAT the trick was.

Darth_Google

Postby biass » 18 Oct 2016, 23:57

Darth_Google wrote:The good ratio for factories is about one per two mexes considering they are building all the time, right?

try not to do this ratio stuff
1st, scout

If you are behind of units and you think we will attack you, build some more factories
if you want to win at this tech level and have the mass, make more factories
if you are winning in unit count but dont really want to win yet, dont make any more factories, make something else like mexes or another combat option like t2 air etc
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby angus000 » 19 Oct 2016, 00:24

Thanks for not taking offense at my words.

biass wrote:
Darth_Google wrote:The good ratio for factories is about one per two mexes considering they are building all the time, right?

If you are behind of units and you think we will attack you, build some more factories

I think it might be too late if you build more factories when you already saw your oponent has more units.

The number of factories sometimes depends more on the map than the number of mexes. If the map is 5x5, you'll definetely a lot of factories. Same in some 10x10 where land plays a huge role. As far as I can tell, I think most good players balance out their number of factories according to their mass in store and mass income in general. If you are wasting mass, it's clear the either: 1) the map has much more mass than you can spend on fighting, thus it's an eco map; or 2) you're not puting enough mass on the battlefield as you should.

Darth_Google wrote:im pretty sure that hydro+pgen or two or trees was enough to get away with building bomber back then because thats about how i got away with that

Bombers are more expensive now, but the BO is the same, 6 pgs or hydro and 1 pg. If you don't have enough tree reclaim, you might need another pg or 2.

My personal recomendation for you would be to work on setting up factories faster and with a good ratio to your available mass at any moments, and to learn to queue up a mix of engies and tanks in your first factory, specially for ladder. Aside from intial BO, of course.

Check this out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2pTYbY-W58&index=1&list=PLxH0oefiZR_VrY6qtvv4iIHfn6i6ipnaS
angus000

Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 39 times
FAF User Name: flexible

Postby crazywauz » 19 Oct 2016, 12:38

You just have not seen the most interesting and embarassing part where i walk my ACU all around the map and die on my opponent's base. :D

nice :P
crazywauz

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: JoeDiBoe

PreviousNext

Return to Help