Replay Analysis Thread

Need help? This is the right place!
Note, reporting bugs and issues should be in the Tech Support forum!

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Re: Replay Analysis Thread

Postby Flynn » 12 Oct 2013, 19:44

Right, this guy hit me with everything, it seemed that just as I was starting to get a foothold he decided to end me. I don't know how he spammed so much ground and air with the limited resources available on this map at all. He just overwhelmed me and that was the end of it.
Attachments
1402301-Flynn.fafreplay
(51.48 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
Flynn
Evaluator

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: Flynn

Postby Voodoo » 12 Oct 2013, 20:04

@Flynn

Your build order isn't realy good. You forgot one start mex and you are building pgens and the hydro at the same time.
You can build faster if you rush the hydro directly. Furthermore you should reclaim the snow with manuel reclaim orders. The attack move isn't working great on this map.
But i have to say your opponent was lucky with his raiding. You played good, but your opponents build order was better and his raiding worked perfect.
So you had less units, lost the map control and your economy crashed. The first 5 mins at a game are realy important, they can decide easely who will win the game.

example for a build order:
1363674-Voodoo.fafreplay
(154.87 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
Voodoo

Has liked: 251 times
Been liked: 344 times
FAF User Name: Voodoo

Postby Flynn » 13 Oct 2013, 10:55

Wow I wasn't expecting a reply that quickly Voodoo, thank you! I must admit I watched the replay myself and I couldn't really find one particular thing that turned the game in his favour, which was why I posted it for further analysis. I must say some of the stuff that you said I used to do, such as rushing the hydro directly, but I found that in pro replays a lot of pros don't bother with the hydro because walking the com to the hydro takes longer than building p gens in the start point and it delays the second factory as well.

Thanks for the example replay as well, that was crazy! Shame about the mercy strike, he just gave you a little too much advanced warning, these things are sooo difficult to coordinate. Question: why do mercies self destruct seemingly randomly a few minutes after they have been landed? He started with about 15 mercies and then when he gave them the attack order he only had about 6 :?:
Flynn
Evaluator

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: Flynn

Postby Voodoo » 13 Oct 2013, 12:39

Flynn wrote:... such as rushing the hydro directly, but I found that in pro replays a lot of pros don't bother with the hydro because walking the com to the hydro takes longer than building p gens in the start point and it delays the second factory as well ...

It's always better to go for the hydro, if there is one near your start position.

Flynn wrote:He started with about 15 mercies and then when he gave them the attack order he only had about 6 :?:

I killed some with an asf.
Voodoo

Has liked: 251 times
Been liked: 344 times
FAF User Name: Voodoo

Postby FlowingWaters » 17 Oct 2013, 22:12

Alrighty then, this is my very first 1vs1 on FAF. I used to play on GPGnet, but thats like 3 years ago now so im pretty rusty. I should have reclaimed a lot more of the mass on the map and didnt have good intel on him at all. What else can you throw at me? Im open for any and all criticism at all :D
Attachments
Canis 1vs1.fafreplay
(55.24 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
FlowingWaters

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: FlowingWaters

Postby Cantor » 17 Oct 2013, 23:22

Your build order was good. Some minor points are that you can make factories adjacent to mexes to save some mass (instead of -4 you pay -3.6 i think), and queue up units in your factories before they are built so they start producing immediately. Good radar placement near the hydro, good acu movement to capture the right side. You can be way more aggressive with your tanks: while you had way more tanks than him they were sitting in your base so his forces could sneak in and take out a few mass extractors. You built a bit too many factories and power. If you have so much power it was very good of you to make an acu upgrade, but even during the upgrade you were overflowing power. In one factory you were producing 100 mech marines, I would change that to tanks. When you do fights, try to involve as much of your army as possible. It's much more efficient to do fights where you outnumber your enemy. If he has 20 tanks and you have 30 tanks, but you send your tanks in 2 groups of 15, you will lose a lot more tanks than necessary.
Cantor

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 7 times
FAF User Name: Cantor

Postby FlowingWaters » 18 Oct 2013, 00:31

Thank you for replaying so fast :) Gonna try and consider these things next time. The factory that was spamming MMs was simply forgotten. i had 6 of them queued up for the ghetto and apparently it was set to infinite build so it just kept spitting them out and when i noticed i had already ran him down with my com and the pillars, so i didnt bother changing it xD

Theres one thing im wondering, on small maps like canis, how fast should i go for eco upgrades? i noticed he had at least one t2 mex while i had none at the end. it didnt matter because i won, which might be because he spent some of his eco on upgrading that mex while i spent most on it on the t2 once i had it. but if it gets to a stalemate situation, how hard should you go for eco?
FlowingWaters

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: FlowingWaters

Postby Molotow » 18 Oct 2013, 03:37

So it's that time again. I've lost a game and need some help improving my gameplay.
the replaynumber is 1424790 (Molotow vs NamesAreStupid).
Molotow
Crusader

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: Molotow

Postby Coffee nut » 18 Oct 2013, 11:21

Hi there,

I figured I probably spent too much on eco and not enough on units, but given the situation, was there anything more I could've done? Also, how do I improve on stopping bomber harrass?

Many thanks
Attachments
1423925-Opera.fafreplay
(68.17 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
Coffee nut

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 4 times

Postby Cantor » 18 Oct 2013, 12:09

@FlowingWaters: I think generally on 5x5 maps it's dangerous to go early t2 mex because it takes a long time to pay off. First you need to invest 900 mass in the mex, which gives you an extra +4 mass. Then you need to invest about 150 mass into at least 2 power generators to power the upgrade, and then 240 mass into a land factory to use the extra +4 mass. So approximately 1300 mass invested, which is about 26 tanks. It will take that new land factory a long time to build 26 tanks to break even, only after that do you get an advantage. However by this time you may have lost a bit of map control, and if you have lost 2 t1 mex you invested all this for nothing. In a stalemate you can definitely do it, but there are safer ways to make an investment that pay off much faster, like gun upgrade or t2 land.
Cantor

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 7 times
FAF User Name: Cantor

PreviousNext

Return to Help