Replay Analysis Thread

Need help? This is the right place!
Note, reporting bugs and issues should be in the Tech Support forum!

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Re: Replay Analysis Thread

Postby Carly » 01 Sep 2013, 06:25

So I am new to faf and supcom in general. I am kind of getting the hang of the game but I feel like I'm missing something vital in my game play. I didn't know how to attack and ended up having my team finish off my enemy with strat bombers before my sat was up. And the fatboy was a mistake, I was panicing and didnt know what to spend my mass on.

Any comments or suggestions would be very well appreciated. Thanks in advance for helping out this noob. :)
Attachments
Noob.fafreplay
My game as a noob with noobs.
(192.21 KiB) Downloaded 108 times
Carly

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Carly

Postby ColonelSheppard » 01 Sep 2013, 11:57

it's very hard to give somebody tips after a thermo-like replay

Only thing i can really say is that you upgrade mass extractors wrong:
T1-> all mexes T2 -> all mexes T2 with storrages -> T3 thats how you do it

maybe you can upload a 'real' replay, like 1v1 or a at least a bit agressive teamgame?

I can link you the usual stuff:

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=3058&p=30316#p30314#
http://forums.gaspowered.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=50272
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 4b-3s5vol0
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby SC-Account » 03 Sep 2013, 02:35

Carly wrote:So I am new to faf and supcom in general. I am kind of getting the hang of the game but I feel like I'm missing something vital in my game play. I didn't know how to attack and ended up having my team finish off my enemy with strat bombers before my sat was up. And the fatboy was a mistake, I was panicing and didnt know what to spend my mass on.

Any comments or suggestions would be very well appreciated. Thanks in advance for helping out this noob. :)

Sheppard, stop bullshitting about maps, it is very easy to give tips for this map (which is nothing like Thermo, easy to give tips for Thermo too, though), although this map is very different so the tips won't help on many other maps.

However, some map dependant tips:
This map is about reclaiming stones efficiently, the best start would probably something like: factory, 5 power, factory, huge amount of power and constant engineer spam, start upgrading save mexes to T3 + storages while building T2 power and T1 air/land to guard your engineers on reclaim mission. Essential are also some early transports to drop engineers on the hills and reclaim those rocks as well. You can probably make a <10 min experimental that way (or ultra early T3 air).

More general tips:
You don't make any scouts or combat units early on and that is extremely risky. If you want to make a solid plan that leads to your opponents defeat without being the one to be defeated first, you need to scout a lot, especially if you don't know the player/map and got no idea what he is up to. If you pressure your opponent with units early on it will make it hard for him to follow his own plan.
SC-Account
Evaluator

Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 77 times
FAF User Name: Tnuoccacs

Postby Carly » 03 Sep 2013, 06:59

Thanks for the tips SC_Account. I kind of forgot about the rocks on the map; it was my first time playing that map.

However, with team games, I am skipping t1 and going to t2 fighter/bombers and eventually asfs. I am protecting my units either with my t2 fighter/bombers or t1 AA.

With pgens, I really like the +2500 from t3 pgens and I often upgrade my factories to t3 before t3 mass as t3 mex upgrades take a lot of energy. I usually have 2 t2 pgens done when I go for a t3 pgen. Should I have just been spamming a long line of t2 pgens to be more efficient?

One more thing, with t3 mex upgrades taking like 4k ish mass, what defenses should I have before upgrading? If I am spending 4k ish mass on a mex and my opponent was spending 4k ish mass on units, I'll have problems.

Anyways, thanks so much for the reply and analysis.
Carly

Has liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: Carly

Postby SC-Account » 04 Sep 2013, 07:48

Usually getting a T3 factory before you get T3 mexes is right, but on that particular map you can do it the other way around since those rock give an insane amount of mass. You can have all your mexes at T3 in your base at about 5-8 min into the game.
In order to do that efficiently you need some T2 pgens, T3 is not needed.

In general however you should not get more than 4 T2 pgens before you get a T3 one as they are indeed much more efficient.
Even more efficient than T3 power is the Resource Allocation Upgrade (RAS) on your ACU, but it can be tricky to upgrade it since it costs a lot power and you will need to have 3-4 T2 pgens or a T3 pgen first.

Also if you have 4 T2 pgens and one T3 pgen (or RAS), you can reclaim the T2 pgens and make more T3 power instead, since that will save you mass (4 x T2 power = 2k energy, reclaim = 4k mass, T3 pgen > 3240 mass and 2500 energy = profit).

About guarding your stuff with fighter bombers.. that may work out for you now, but it will not help you against good players. Those are not very sophisticated guards :p
SC-Account
Evaluator

Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 77 times
FAF User Name: Tnuoccacs

Postby Kamikazzy » 09 Sep 2013, 15:07

Hi, I have some questions about a game I played

1. How to counter those T1 torp-lauchers? Hover arty maybe?
2. Where is the most save place to tech mexes on this map? Because I lost all T2 mexes when I lost navy.
3. Was the gun-upgrade a good decision or was is risky? Is T2-upgrade better in such a situation?
4. Should I play more with air on this map? maybe go T2air instead of T3 land?

I didn't lost this but it felt very weird when I played.
looking forward to your opinions :)
Attachments
1282091.fafreplay
(76.02 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
Kamikazzy

Has liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Kamikazzy

Postby ColonelSheppard » 09 Sep 2013, 15:15

Kamikazzy wrote:1. How to counter those T1 torp-lauchers? Hover arty maybe?
2. Where is the most save place to tech mexes on this map? Because I lost all T2 mexes when I lost navy.
3. Was the gun-upgrade a good decision or was is risky? Is T2-upgrade better in such a situation?
4. Should I play more with air on this map? maybe go T2air instead of T3 land?

1. basicly with everything but navy
2. losing navy on that map is sooner or later game over, there is no safe place on this map (your luck that you killed him more sooner than late :mrgreen: )
3. gun was good, t2 would have been fail since single t2 PDs are not very usefull against big armies
4. you should starting with at least building any air, this is a classical second air map, and air is very important
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby Kamikazzy » 09 Sep 2013, 17:04

Thanks for the fast answer :)
ColonelSheppard wrote:
2. losing navy on that map is sooner or later game over, there is no safe place on this map (your luck that you killed him more sooner than late :mrgreen: )

yea, I was really lucky that he was not in water. So navy is as important as land?
Should I make more navy, secure underwater mexes, tech underwater mexes, make less T1 land but more air( spam interceptors, drop arty, bombing units and later go T2 air)?
Kamikazzy

FAF User Name: Kamikazzy

Postby Bliss » 11 Sep 2013, 16:49

Hello fellow pro's -----

What was the biggest mistake in this game ?????

i bet lack of scounting ... but how the hell an opponent can simply start making hovering arty and rape everything :cry: :cry:
Attachments
Coastocoast_Bliss.fafreplay
(48.52 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
Bliss
Contributor

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 7 times
FAF User Name: Bliss

Postby MightyHerck » 11 Sep 2013, 22:15

any advice on how I could have better protected my base?
spam pd in my base I guess, but I didn't have a lot of buildpower.
should I have teched up sooner?
or push with spam?
I was planning to do a pd creep and continue the t1 spam.
Attachments
1288417-MightyHerck.fafreplay
(91.98 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
Last edited by MightyHerck on 11 Sep 2013, 22:16, edited 1 time in total.
MightyHerck

FAF User Name: MightyHerck

PreviousNext

Return to Help