Maps in the ladder

Need help? This is the right place!
Note, reporting bugs and issues should be in the Tech Support forum!

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Maps in the ladder

Postby Casey » 17 Jan 2013, 23:18

Hi there o/

I was wondering if there is a place where I can download a list of, as well as all the current ladder maps in order to get some practice on them against the AI (still a little too scared to play online hehe). Is the list here: http://www.faforever.com/mediawiki/inde ... r_Map_Pool accurate?
Casey
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Casey

Re: Maps in the ladder

Postby ColonelSheppard » 17 Jan 2013, 23:44

yes
but dont practice vs. Ai
that helps nothing at all
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby Casey » 17 Jan 2013, 23:50

It helps me learn the maps, I just lost a game of winters duel because I didn't realize there were those mass points on the hills until much later :( Is there a place where I can download them all?
Casey
Crusader

Postby Softly » 17 Jan 2013, 23:53

When you have a look at the maps, focus on learning stuff like where theres mass to reclaim, and where theres choke points you can hold with your ACU for example. That should help you get started :)

(Especially look out for reclaim because its really really important)
Softly
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 251 times
FAF User Name: Softles

Postby ColonelSheppard » 18 Jan 2013, 00:27

Casey wrote:It helps me learn the maps, I just lost a game of winters duel because I didn't realize there were those mass points on the hills until much later :( Is there a place where I can download them all?

enter the names in the map vault
there is no mappack for it i think, but if you played ladder for a time you should have all of them (more or less)
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Postby ZaphodX » 18 Jan 2013, 00:48

It's a bit scary but sometimes the best way is just to jump in and play loads of ranked. You will lose loads but if you watch the replays you will learn and improve very quickly too.
ZaphodX
Contributor

FAF User Name: TAG_ZaphodX

Postby Casey » 18 Jan 2013, 01:58

Ahh thank you very much :) I found them in the map vault and installed them.

Now, I wonder if you can help me with something else.

I played about 5 or 6 games with a friend who used to play sup com ages ago, he had not heard of FAF and played on steam, anyway, he is an Aeon player and feels that FAF has made aeon a bit weaker, I'm sure it hasn't just changed slightly, but let me summarise the points he made and maybe I can pass some advice on to him.

* It's too cheap to upgrade to T2, I don't see any reason to build any T1 units as the land factory upgrade, although initially being expensive, leaves the units much cheaper afterwards. Every game I can comfortably upgrade after capturing my first few mexes with no eco problems.
* The UEF T1 arty does way too much damage (this was a situation where 4 of my lobos killed his T2 PD
* T1 is worthless due to how the commander is/you lose if you keep the commander in base, this is about him not liking to be forced into doing the same thing every time.
* Aeon has nothing to counter the T2 rail gun bot thing...(I can't remember the name)
* The ladder maps have way too much mass available
* The way the armies are, you should play cybran for 5x5 UEF for 10x10 and Aeon for 20x20

There were things he liked too, it wasn't all complaints but I'd like to help him out if I can.

I won about half of the games, and I think that's what discouraged him as from my understanding, during the sup com beta he was pretty high up. I've watched a lot of Gyles replays and try and play like those guys what with using certain unit comps and building many engineers which watching the replays he wasn't doing. I was also teching early.

One thing he said would really really help him if there was a guide that explained all the differences from Vanilla/FA to FAF.

It might help if I upload the finns revenge replay maybe you could give us both some pointers?

Many thanks

Casey x
Casey
Crusader

Postby ColonelSheppard » 18 Jan 2013, 07:51

Casey wrote:* It's too cheap to upgrade to T2, I don't see any reason to build any T1 units as the land factory upgrade, although initially being expensive, leaves the units much cheaper afterwards.
Every game I can comfortably upgrade after capturing my first few mexes with no eco problems.

just no, while fast t2 might be viable in some cases and some mps it is in general NOT, and you still need t1 units then
this statement is nothing but wrong

Casey wrote:* The UEF T1 arty does way too much damage (this was a situation where 4 of my lobos killed his T2 PD

but the firing rate is just sad

Casey wrote:* T1 is worthless due to how the commander is/you lose if you keep the commander in base, this is about him not liking to be forced into doing the same thing every time.

Commander has 100 dps and >10k hp, with thebuild power of 2 engines
means your commander is worth ~20 tanks or t20 engines

Casey wrote:* Aeon has nothing to counter the T2 rail gun bot thing...(I can't remember the name)

Mobile shields, force them back till they cannot retreat anymore and then kill them with obsidians or Gun range upgrade

Casey wrote:* The ladder maps have way too much mass available

yeah, probably

Casey wrote:* The way the armies are, you should play cybran for 5x5 UEF for 10x10 and Aeon for 20x20

no, people claim Cybran to have probelms on 5vv5 maybe but otherwise there is no: "play this here and here" if you have much water, aeon and sera are often better but it is not related to mapsize
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Return to Help