Hello :3

Need help? This is the right place!
Note, reporting bugs and issues should be in the Tech Support forum!

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Hello :3

Postby Casey » 15 Jan 2013, 21:24

Hi everyone, wonderful to meet you all :)

My name is Casey, I'm a British student who enjoys playing chess. Lately, I've been speaking to the other players who seem to be getting more and more involved with their computers. Yes, they gaveme the. Pc gaming bug! It started with free civ but has moved on to supreme commander :).

It's taken me ages, but I've managed to beat the single player of the first game and the UEF missions of FA. On normal difficulty, I would love to start playing online but I'm a little nervous, I have a feeling that against people will be very different to the campaign.

I found out about FAF due to Gyles wonderful casts (Gyle honey, if you're reading this then the awareness campaign is working!) and I've managed to get it installed and have enjoyed chatting to people using it :)

My first question is, am I ready to play? I realise that things have been changed but does FAF change things for you? Do I need to install other things?

Secondly, am I likely to find people of my level or are you all grand masters? :)

Thirdly, I find UEF to be the easiest for me, theres something slightly more intuitive about the shape of their units, I mean, a tank looks like a tank, it's hard to explain. Is it okay to stick with them or should I do the rest of the levels and try and get equally skilled with everyone.

Many many thanks for your help and I look foward to playing with you :)

Hugs

Casey
Casey
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Casey

Re: Hello :3

Postby ColonelSheppard » 15 Jan 2013, 21:35

My first question is, am I ready to play? I realise that things have been changed but does FAF change things for you? Do I need to install other things?

you probably have to install this update
http://supremecommander.filefront.com/f ... 3599;89062
everything else will work automaticly (or it will give you a detailed message what to do if you have to do something)

if you need help with game play i suggest you this:
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=2089
and this:
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=1614

Secondly, am I likely to find people of my level or are you all grand masters? :)

there are enough new players and players on your level, you can see the global rating of a player if you move the courser over the icon next to the player name
2000 is grand master
0 is you :mrgreen:
-500 is...

actually i never figured out how to get to -500

Thirdly, I find UEF to be the easiest for me, theres something slightly more intuitive about the shape of their units, I mean, a tank looks like a tank, it's hard to explain. Is it okay to stick with them or should I do the rest of the levels and try and get equally skilled with everyone.

UEF and seraphim are widely considered the easiest factions, due the very "human" desinge of UEF it might me much more easier to get used to the icons and buildings
Voodoo (as on, if no THE best player plays UEF so they are defenitly ok)
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby Casey » 15 Jan 2013, 22:01

Hi sheppard, its great to meet you and thanks for such a speedy reply :)

I forgot to mention that I use the steam forged alliance will that make a difference? I will try and install the update anyway!

Again many thanks, there seems to be a lot of helpful advice on this forum, fortunately, I love reading :)
Casey
Crusader

Postby ColonelSheppard » 15 Jan 2013, 22:10

if you have steam version you dont have to install the link

i'm happy to wellcome you to supcom
Gyle surely is happy about his work producing some fruits xD
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby CoreKrogoth » 15 Jan 2013, 22:14

Hi and welcome Casey!
I am glad that you found your way here.

Col.Sheppard said everything important.

But I feel the same as you.
I am also quite nervous and I do often wrong things in my build order. :D
And I often lose matches.
But in my opinion it doesn't matter.
Even if you lose a match you can still learn from it (Watching the replays or other replays) and make it a little bit better in the next match.
Losing is fun!
CoreKrogoth

FAF User Name: TEA_CoreKrogoth

Postby Casey » 15 Jan 2013, 23:03

*smiles and waves*

Hiii core!

I fully expect to lose hundreds, if not thousands of games, maybe we will play and learn together! I've no idea about build orders or anything like that! So you're already way ahead of me even if you're making mistakes!

The campaign taught me to keep my supreme commander miles away from harm and build those experimental factory tank things, however watching Gyle's replays I see that my opponent is unlikely to let me do that! That or build 100 destroyers!

Also, many thanks to sheppard! I'll avoid the download but follow everything else :)
Casey
Crusader

Postby Mr-Smith » 15 Jan 2013, 23:17

hi Casey

The campaign is totaly different to the online gameplay, as the AI is kind of stupid.
The online gameplay is way more agressive.

But if you are willing to learn it you will find one for sure that helps you and teach you everything you need to know.

And everyone is losing his first games but usually after the first 10 games you will start winning.
If you can't beat us...
...join us.
Doge This, hover ACU: https://youtu.be/a67tvWmu31Y?list=LLW-T ... O4fQ&t=179
Mr-Smith
Evaluator

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 36 times
FAF User Name: Mr-Smith

Postby Casey » 15 Jan 2013, 23:53

Hi mr smith

Yes, I did wonder about that. I need to shake the civ idea that units become old fashioned and therefore useless...in fact, due to the way the Forged Alliance campaign suggests, nay, insists you use tech 3 and experimentals, I don't really know all that much about the new tech one and tech two units. Hehe, after all, by the time I was introduced to them I was sat back filing my nails as automated guns attacked from miles away. However, I'm keen to learn :)
Casey
Crusader

Postby CoreKrogoth » 16 Jan 2013, 00:16

Casey if you want we can make some training matches.
Losing is fun!
CoreKrogoth

FAF User Name: TEA_CoreKrogoth

Postby Casey » 16 Jan 2013, 01:47

That sounds like fun :)
Casey
Crusader