What faction to choose, SC2 player

Need help? This is the right place!
Note, reporting bugs and issues should be in the Tech Support forum!

Moderator: PhilipJFry

What faction to choose, SC2 player

Postby Valki » 20 Dec 2012, 20:33

Hello everyone, great to see supreme commander still alive

In the past I have played Supreme Commander (not FA), I always played the UEF because I found them aesthetically the most pleasing (and still do).
Now I'm playing SC2 (Starcraft 2), high gold league, but I'm planning to do some Supreme Commander on the side.

I'm now playing small games against AI to get back into it, but I'm a bit torn on which faction to play.

They say Cybran and Aeon are not for beginners because they require a lot of micro, but it can't be worse than SC2 so that will be okay ;) - in fact, I might need a little bit of micro or else I might get bored.

My playstyle:
  • I like early agression.
    UEF T1 looks appealing, but so do Mantis
  • I like a strong airforce (not necessarily early-game)
  • I like drops
  • I like a mobile style of play
  • I do not like proxy bases
    'Attack of the Bases' is not my thing

So I'm curious, what are the strong points of the various factions for my playstyle?
Valki

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 27 times
FAF User Name: Valki

Re: What faction to choose, SC2 player

Postby Softly » 20 Dec 2012, 22:10

You can pretty much do any of those things with any of the factions, but for early aggression I would have to go for the cybran. Mantis are just so speedy :D and they get a t1 gunship too. Beware though, atm their arty is sucky...

Strong late game airforce... Has to aeon. They have the bomber with the most damage per bomb, the best t3 gunship and you can never forget their mercy snipes...

Drops has to be seraphim. Sera arty + t2 transport = ZOMFG. They even have the best t1 transport.

Mobile style of play has to be cybran, though this is mainly forced on them by a lack of decent shielding and some nice kiting units like the brick and the hoplite.

Proxy bases can be fun too sometimes :), and if you want to keep winning you'll have to spread you buildpower out at some point.
Softly
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 251 times
FAF User Name: Softles

Postby ColonelSheppard » 20 Dec 2012, 22:21

most players claim that UEF and sera are the easiest factions to play, there isn't much difference between them except that sera has a hoveriing arty

Cybran's biggest pro on tec1 is the Jestergunship
Aeon have high range tanks but with paper hp (kiting, micro intensive)
UEF maybe has a problematic t4 lategame on watermaps in my opinion but it's only weakness in previous tech levels are stengths of the other factions
Sera is maybe the best allrounder (some say it would be silightly better overall) biggest contra is maybe that you do not have the option of getthogunship and labrush in the early game

i can only suggest you this:
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=1614 (just PM one in the Lobby)
and this
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=2089
if you want to come into the game more fast (again?)
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby Softly » 20 Dec 2012, 22:41

ColonelSheppard wrote:Sera is maybe the best allrounder (some say it would be silightly better overall) biggest contra is maybe that you do not have the option of getthogunship and labrush in the early game

Which means sheppard is helpless :P

Also welcome to FA
Softly
Supreme Commander

Postby Valki » 23 Dec 2012, 12:17

Thanks for the advice, I'm trying those specific advantages out :)
Valki

Postby uberge3k » 27 Dec 2012, 17:57

Welcome to the game.

Coming from a SC2 background, you should have an advantage by being much better prepared for unit micro. Most players here are quite allergic to the concept.

With this in mind, I would strongly recommend Aeon. While you should definitely play all of the factions a decent amount to better understand their strengths and weaknesses, many of Aeon's units are simply impossible to mass-efficiently counter when they are properly controlled. I'll do my best to share my knowledge of the game regarding the specifics you mentioned:

I like early agression.
UEF T1 looks appealing, but so do Mantis

UEF has a very solid all-around land force, with their only deficiency being a lack of hover units at T1, and no hovering shields are flak at T2. Their T1 tank, the Striker, is perhaps the quintessential tank - no real strengths or weaknesses. Their T1 mobile artillery fires a bursty, very high damage projectile that is relatively slow. However, their Light Assault Bot is easily the best of the three that have one, and scales well with micro.

Aeon has the best land force at T1, without question, due to the way their tanks work. The Aurora has less HP than other tanks, but more range and far more maneuverability. Try out it's micro in sandbox and get used to how it's controlled; at a high level, you simply move back when the enemy advances, and forward when the enemy retreats. If you get in range of other tanks, quickly move side to side to dodge projectiles.

Cybran's land is rather weak at all levels; every other faction simply has something better. The mantis' biggest advantage is that they are harder to outmicro due to their higher ROF, but this is very rarely an advantage since most players simply do not bother with unit control at this level.

Seraphim is very strong, but their advantage relies more in the fact that their units require very little control and instead force others to micro. They have no LAB at T1; their tank is similar to UEF's but is more frontloaded, and their artillery is the best of all with very high damage and the ability to hover.

I like a strong airforce (not necessarily early-game)

Each faction's air is roughly equal, with again the exception of Aeon's. Aeon is the only faction to have T2 interceptors, which, with micro, cannot be mass-effectively countered until T3. Combined with being one of the only two factions that have two levels of RAS upgrades on the ACU (the other being Seraphim), it's easy to see why Aeon is generally the faction of choice for air players.

I like drops

If drops are a favorite tactic, I would recommend Seraphim for their artillery, and because their transports have more slots for units than other factions'. UEF and Aeon arty are both decent, while Cybran's is fairly weak; it's inaccuracy makes it a poor choice for taking on structures, combined with its cost.

I like a mobile style of play

This is one constant among every faction - map control is far more efficient than turtling, so every faction is forced to play offensively and move quickly.

I do not like proxy bases

In 1v1s, it's generally impossible to efficiently PD creep as there are simply too many cost-efficient counters to it. Smash them with mobile artillery, TML or MMLs. :)
Ze_PilOt wrote:If you want something to happen, do it yourself.
uberge3k
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 48 times
FAF User Name: TAG_UBER

Postby Valki » 27 Dec 2012, 20:34

Thank you for a very thorough perspective.

You make Aeon sound quite good, and it already was my second choice.
In some games I played I was hating the fact that unit micro had less effect on the battle than I had hoped. I'll be trying Aeon against humans.

What I didn't like about Aeon was that they do not have a T2 bomber. I really like the UEF T2 fighter/bomber, they always seem to hit and burn all targets I want to hit and they seem to do well enough against air units.
Valki

Postby ColonelSheppard » 28 Dec 2012, 10:21

uberge3k wrote:
I do not like proxy bases

In 1v1s, it's generally impossible to efficiently PD creep as there are simply too many cost-efficient counters to it. Smash them with mobile artillery, TML or MMLs. :)

the only thing i disagree
---> PD creep is always viable, esspeciallly if you are not playing in the 2k +rating range and even there: i've seen man replays of Zock with PD creeping
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby Softly » 28 Dec 2012, 13:21

Depends where you pd creep.

If you're pd creeping in the middle of the map trying to capture a single mex point then yes its counterable easily.

If your pd creeping into someones base they do have to defend against it, unless of course you have spread all your buildpower and eco across the whole map. (which is an unlikely scenario)
Softly
Supreme Commander

Postby uberge3k » 29 Dec 2012, 05:22

http://faforever.com/faf/unitsDB/unit.php?bp=UEB2301
http://faforever.com/faf/unitsDB/unit.php?bp=UEL0103

For every T2 PD, you should have 15 artillery, which will kill the PD almost instantly with only 2-3 losses. Perhaps more if you don't bother to group your artillery in an intelligent fashion, but so long as they're in a roughly blob-like shape instead of single-file they will easily kill the PD.

http://faforever.com/faf/unitsDB/unit.php?bp=UEL0111

Alternatively, for every T2 PD, you should have 2+ MMLs, which will kill the PD in about 20 seconds with zero losses.

Alternatively, you can grab your ACU and OC it three times in a row, killing the PD at a cost of ~2k HP if you don't make any attempt to dodge. (in before comment about undodgeable sera/cybran PD - if you can't counter a PD creep from them, you really should re-evaluate what you are doing with your life...)

If you let them turtle so hard that they have TMD, T1 PD, units, and who knows what else to counter all of the above counters - you have already lost the game. It is, quite simply, mathematically impossible to cost-efficiently PD creep as its counters are incredibly efficient. If you find that you cannot stop a PD creep, then you are losing, badly, and the other player can use absolutely whatever they feel like to slaughter you. Which might include a PD creep.
Ze_PilOt wrote:If you want something to happen, do it yourself.
uberge3k
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 48 times
FAF User Name: TAG_UBER

Next

Return to Help