What faction to choose, SC2 player

Need help? This is the right place!
Note, reporting bugs and issues should be in the Tech Support forum!

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Re: What faction to choose, SC2 player

Postby ColonelSheppard » 29 Dec 2012, 13:29

try to OC a shield, PD creep is viable, especially for low/medium players and obviously even viable in high skill games, now dont give some mathematical theories, im to lazy to read it anyway, just look a few of Zock's replays on Fields of Thunder or Vale of isis, thats where i saw it
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby uberge3k » 29 Dec 2012, 15:13

ColonelSheppard wrote:try to OC a shield

Mobile shields are OC'd in one hit. And cost mass to build and energy to run. If he has a shield, you should have even more units to counter it with.

If he has the economy to support stationary shields, and the time to build them on the front lines, you have already lost the game and your opponent could have used literally any other tactic to finish you off with.

ColonelSheppard wrote:especially for low/medium players and obviously even viable in high skill games, now dont give some mathematical theories, im to lazy to read it anyway, just look a few of Zock's replays on Fields of Thunder or Vale of isis, thats where i saw it

Even players like Zock cannot bend the physics of the game to miraculously make inefficient strategies mathematically viable.

I don't doubt that you saw him using a PD creep successfully. Nor do I doubt that PD creep can be an effective tactic in the proper situation.

What I do know for certain is that the PD creep can be countered at an extremely efficient rate, as both math and experience show.

Show me a replay of a successful PD creep. I will guarantee you that:

1) The PD creep-er already had a sizable advantage.
2) And/or the victim did not properly counter it.
Ze_PilOt wrote:If you want something to happen, do it yourself.
uberge3k
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 48 times
FAF User Name: TAG_UBER

Postby vnucik » 03 Jan 2013, 12:56

well im pretty new but i would like to discuss pd creep,, i dont pd creep often but i think that building some 2 T1 Pds or even a small firebase with like (aeon) 3 T1 pd + 2 T2 pd +(wall+ tmd) is sometimes viable at chokepoint, because: it often prevents the enemy from rushing his army and he is instead forced to efficiently counter it or make a turnaround with his army and go around....it can be usefull in situations where i want to buy time to some front or force the enemy to go around my defense where im prepared for the attack...also when im retreating and the enemy is chasing me the best solution i found is to build some Pd to temporarily stop him to let me recover...so i think that building pds has more psychological aspect than mass-efficient....it often force the enemy to do something which i may want
vnucik

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Vnucik/Kukox

Postby ZaphodX » 03 Jan 2013, 13:44

@vnucik
In general PD is only viable when dealing with or preventing an immediate threat. Otherwise you are heavily investing in a resource-expensive and static defense that only begins to pay itself off once it gets some kills.

Even if it isn't mathematically efficient I find PD creeps can be effective in conjunction with units and are often effective in low to mid level play.

@Valki
As mentioned Aeon is a nice choice if you can handle the frequent kiting. I would however recommend all factions as they all have their advantages and can be played to suit your style and find your own niche playstyle.

I would also recommend trying out the Nomads from the nomad mod as they have a lot of new units that rely on tactical usage and placement.
ZaphodX
Contributor

FAF User Name: TAG_ZaphodX

Postby Valki » 04 Jan 2013, 10:08

Going back to the original question of the topic...

How do you guys manage your workers?
I never seem to have a worker available when I need one. In SC2 you have mineral lines all over the map and you simply pick some workers from there.

I've been trying making a builder control group, but that is a bit annoying if it gets wiped out, right now I'm always letting a bunch of workers assist a factory (T1 if there is no T2 or T3) - so I have a worker line to pull workers from.

How do you guys manage it? :P

and PS.
Aeon works quite nicely - I get a lot of result from kiting.
Valki

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 27 times
FAF User Name: Valki

Postby ZaphodX » 04 Jan 2013, 10:48

Just try making plenty of engineers. Build power is very important. Have them assist a t2 factory and you can pick engineers off to rebuild mex or reclaim as necessary.

It's not perfect but to avoid needing to micro it too much you can get your first land factory repeat building 2 engys with say 4 tanks after your opening build order. This gives you a decent supply of engys as you need them and some spare tanks in your base to redirect as needed or deal with raiders that have got past other units. Using an attack move out of the factory also gives a small micro advantage for automating tank aggression and engineer reclaiming.
ZaphodX
Contributor

FAF User Name: TAG_ZaphodX

Postby CoreKrogoth » 15 Jan 2013, 19:19

Thanks for that useful thread!
As a beginner it's really helpful to get some more opinions.

I started playing at GPGnet and played just randomly.
Now on FAF I prefer Seraphim in 1on1.
Losing is fun!
CoreKrogoth

FAF User Name: TEA_CoreKrogoth

Previous

Return to Help