How do I kill torpedo ambushers?

Need help? This is the right place!
Note, reporting bugs and issues should be in the Tech Support forum!

Moderator: PhilipJFry

How do I kill torpedo ambushers?

Postby stalewee » 11 Dec 2012, 23:02

I can't figure out how to kill cybran torpedo ambushers, especially as UEF.

All I can think of is torpedo bombers, but I'd have to send them right over the enemy base.
stalewee
Contributor

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 9 times
FAF User Name: stalewee

Re: How do I kill torpedo ambushers?

Postby rootbeer23 » 11 Dec 2012, 23:15

stalewee wrote:I can't figure out how to kill cybran torpedo ambushers, especially as UEF.

All I can think of is torpedo bombers, but I'd have to send them right over the enemy base.

easiest to kill with battleships or TML cruisers. switch the firing mode to ground fire and take aim.
rootbeer23
Supreme Commander

Been liked: 31 times
FAF User Name: root2342

Postby stalewee » 11 Dec 2012, 23:27

Ahh excellent. Thanks
stalewee
Contributor

Been liked: 9 times
FAF User Name: stalewee

Postby L0rdOfSzin » 12 Dec 2012, 20:38

or on your next strat bomber snipe attempt, bomb the ambusher on the way
L0rdOfSzin

Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: L0rdOfSzin

Postby ColonelSheppard » 12 Dec 2012, 21:59

L0rdOfSzin wrote:or on your next strat bomber snipe attempt, bomb the ambusher on the way

quite a bad idea as they are underwater and you would have to target them with ground atack
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby L0rdOfSzin » 18 Dec 2012, 21:19

So what? If you already know where it is, you can just tell them to ground attack ahead of time. A late game snipe will probably have enough strats to kill it in one pass.
L0rdOfSzin

FAF User Name: L0rdOfSzin

Postby ColonelSheppard » 18 Dec 2012, 21:48

just say'in
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Postby Stratocaster » 15 Jan 2013, 05:29

As UEF, I like to make an Atlantis to spear head a naval assault force. It has excellent vision range, which can barely spot a torpedo ambushing launcher. I then use the tactic detailed above, using naval units with long range and splash damage, to attack the surface of the water where it just barely submerged under. I find cruisers and battleships to be the most ideal units for this task.

The torpedo ambushers have stealth, and cannot be spotted reliably on fly overs. A T3 spy plane has a small omni radius, which allows you to see them as radar blips, but it flies so fast that you might have trouble accurately targeting them, going off of radar blips. Getting vision on them is best, especially if you cannot build an omni sensor near where they are located, to get the omni portion of the sensor to reveal them. If you cannot use an Atlantis, building up a group of Frigates, no fewer than 6, and sending them in to get visual data, will be your next best option. Once they're spotted, you will be able to know exactly where they are, so you can shoot them with your cruisers and battleships.

I highly recommend the Atlantis though. It easily rivals other naval units--its long range torpedos might only do moderate damage, but it has a massive amount of hit points, which can soak up a lot of damage for the rest of your navy, has good AA when surfaced, can make T3 air such as scouts, bombers, and fighters, and most importantly, has great vision, radar, and sonar range. You can outright spam them and win naval battles, and siege the coast with air, built from within them.
Stratocaster

FAF User Name: Stratocaster

Postby ColonelSheppard » 15 Jan 2013, 07:45

Stratocaster wrote:As UEF, I like to make an Atlantis to spear head a naval assault force.
[..]
I highly recommend the Atlantis though. It easily rivals other naval units--its long range torpedos might only do moderate damage, but it has a massive amount of hit points, which can soak up a lot of damage for the rest of your navy, has good AA when surfaced, can make T3 air such as scouts, bombers, and fighters, and most importantly, has great vision, radar, and sonar range. You can outright spam them and win naval battles, and siege the coast with air, built from within them.

dont use atlantis to counter HARMs
just dont do this, it's like countering ASF with soulripper
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Return to Help