Tuturials

Need help? This is the right place!
Note, reporting bugs and issues should be in the Tech Support forum!

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Tuturials

Postby ColonelSheppard » 27 Oct 2012, 13:58

IMPORTANT: SCROLL DOWN AND CKECK OUT ALL OF MY POSTS

English:

This is an replay on a 4v4 teamgame map with Chosen and me going over the main tactics and BO's and common beginner mistakes, if you are completely new you may start witht the replays in my second post

BeginnerSchool.fafreplay
(146.15 KiB) Downloaded 360 times

Voice/Video Tuturial with "Commander" again on Moonlight (starting at 10:30)
http://de.twitch.tv/colonel_sheppard/b/353989392

German:

a "getting started after Singleplayer" tuturial mainly about the very basic tactics and BO

Getting started.fafreplay
(25.41 KiB) Downloaded 223 times

an "advanced" beginner 1v1 tuturial with Nightmare going over main 1v1 tactics and BO's and some gerneral mistakes of beginners

Nightmare 1v1 training.fafreplay
(59.77 KiB) Downloaded 265 times

feel free to post more replays like this here and i add them to the this post
and check my future posts due the 3 attachments limitation
Last edited by ColonelSheppard on 06 Jan 2013, 12:06, edited 9 times in total.
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Re: Replay tuturials

Postby eXcalibur » 27 Oct 2012, 19:46

things like these should be included into the "tutorials" tab in FAF.
eXcalibur
Priest

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: eXcalibur

Re: Replay tuturials

Postby ColonelSheppard » 29 Oct 2012, 01:14

English:

a very beginner 1v1 tuturial for the under 500 rating range brought to you together with GunnerWolf

1v1 School under 500.fafreplay
(41.48 KiB) Downloaded 283 times

a 1v1 advanced tuturial together with Combo on Moonlight with common mistakes of players between 500-1000

1v1 School 500-1000.fafreplay
(21.74 KiB) Downloaded 254 times

German

an advanced 1v1 for people above 1000
1v1 1k - 1,2k german.fafreplay
(43.07 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
Last edited by ColonelSheppard on 20 Jan 2013, 20:31, edited 3 times in total.
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Re: Tuturials

Postby ColonelSheppard » 01 Nov 2012, 02:17

FAQ:

going over some beginner questions i was asked, please note that we are talking about 1v1 here:

when should i upgrade to tech 2 mex?

t2 mex need 3:45 minutes until the are rentable, so basicly when you are sure that you will not lose within the next 4 minutes, in most cases you won't upgrade extractors before minute 10
check out the "Economy 101" in the tuturial tab of the FAF-client

how many engineers should i get to speed up my factory?

at t1 none i think (maybe one or two if the would idle otherwise), on t2 and t3 it depends from the mass you have, it's not uncommon to have like 10 assisting a t2 fab or 20+ assisting a t3 fab
t1 engine have the hight buildrate/permass
so always use t1 engines to assist your fabrics

as soon as i can get t2 engineers i kill off my t1

bad idea
normally players get only 1 or two t2 engines to be able to build t2 buildings but support them with at least 5 t1 engines, you should never destroy your units, only if you REALLY, really, really need the mass

i've been doing it the over way around then, getting as many t2 and t3 as i can

always mix t2 units with t1, pure t2 is weaker, you need the t1 as, let's say cannonfood
i would say on most maps at least 6 t1 factories for the beginning + one t2 (that you may upgrade to t3 at some point)

when should i get 4, 5, 6 and 7?

after you build the initial 2 or 3 with your commander, just take one or two of your engines and plan a bunch of fabs to be build, dont forget to start building units in it as soon they are ready
you might need more fabs on some maps, just build as many as your mass allows, dont upgrade mexes to get you mass off build more fabs

the first online game i played, i upgraded my acu, to have a shield, it lost me the game, so when should i upgrade my acu?

there are multiple upgrades for acu, for different parts of the game: gun upgrade and t2 upgrade are good in early game , however it costs much energy and you should make sure to have at least + 200 to do it, shield needs way more you should not do it without assist of your team or a tec2 pgen
in gerneral: if you look at the energy needed and the energy you have you normally get a good impression of when you should upgrade what

should i make say heavy tank armies or should i get some mobile artillery aswell and other tanks?

build about 1 arty per 4 tanks, and dont build t1 bots (light assault bots = LAB) after the initial raiding, they shouldn't be in you later armies as they have to low health points

im also a big fan of air units
but i find i need t3 to start doing some real damage and to get air dominance
so should i jsut build up interceptors then upgrade to t3 slowly?

you guessed it, build ints and go slowly towards t3
t1 bomber are also very good even if the enemy has air defence, as they are rentable even if they only kill two tanks
if you play Cybran, Jesters do well im damaging enemy commander and destroying extractors all over the map

is it important to priorities one type of unit (Ie air over land) or should you build air and land evenly?

in 1v1 you will always have to focus on land and see air more like "support"

say i was on setons and i was at the back, should i worry about navy and land or just provide air support?

you dont have to care about anything else, get air dominance and everybody is happy

how do you get that many engeneers in late game?

just having 1 or 2 factories spamming them all over the time

im watching this video on youtube about voodoo and in one of his factories he produce 115 engines, is that a good thing to do?

in later game yes maybe, early not
also you shouldn't try to instantly learn from real 1v1 of voodoo as you will just get overhelmed, but thats just a personal impression
i exaplain beginner buildorders in my replays

i get draws for won games!

1. leave over the score screen
2. wait a few seconds before leaving,
if you want to 100% sure leave the game not before the otherone had left (ok that does no work if everyone is doing it)

If you want other things beeing explained just send me a PM or post here in this thread
Last edited by ColonelSheppard on 27 Jan 2013, 16:13, edited 2 times in total.
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Postby Fiete_F_F » 30 Dec 2012, 01:56

I suggest a replay from Today in which BC_Ramak explains ASF (Airfight) - Microtactic to a player "Godfather", I would say an medium/intermediate level. They use a sandbox Setons with cheats and in chat Ramak gives some hints.

I get an 500 Internal Server Error when trying to upload the replay (size is 486KB).
Replay number is: 518786

I suggest the replay in a section for Air-Micro for medium players.

Greetings
Fiete_F_F
Contributor

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Fiete_F_F

Postby CoreKrogoth » 15 Jan 2013, 19:25

This thread should be a sticky thread. :)
Losing is fun!
CoreKrogoth

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: TEA_CoreKrogoth

Return to Help