How to? Game validation of GOG version.

Need help? This is the right place!
Note, reporting bugs and issues should be in the Tech Support forum!

Moderator: PhilipJFry

How to? Game validation of GOG version.

Postby Zsombi » 13 Jul 2020, 14:07

Hello.

I use an iso backed up boxed version, when I lost the disk key I started using a crack for reinstalls, since the last patch made it DMR free anyways. All was well until FAF got the bright idea of Steam validation of all things. Since I don't have the box-key anymore (or the box & receipt) I have to buy the game again.

I was looking at how to get a "FAF approved" version of the game and found that getting it from Steam comes with more trouble than it is worth.. such as online validations & rechecks and stuff.

Since from GOG once paid & downloaded it does not require any further validation/ authentication to install and play on any computer ever again, I am thinking of buying it there.

So once I would have it, how could I go about getting it validated so that the FAF client would accept it?
I wouldn't want to buy it on Steam if at all possible (preferably also would do away with their client app from my system, I blocked it from the net anyways).

It would be better to have the FAF client recognize the GOG version directly. Though the best would be to remove this feature altogether.

Thanks.
Zsombi

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: Zsombi

Re: How to? Game validation of GOG version.

Postby ZLO_RD » 13 Jul 2020, 14:41

Zsombi wrote: Though the best would be to remove this feature altogether

it is kinda the work in progress... at least from what i understand, that when we make patcher, we can remove this feature. but not 100% sure.
Zsombi wrote:It would be better to have the FAF client recognize the GOG version directly.

Detecting game on your PC and knowing that it is from GOG sounds impossible.
Making some sort of gog-link on faf so you can proof that you bought the game was planned. We contacted GOG, but they didn't give us any instructions about how can we make a GOG-link-thing. Instead they asked square-enix about something and no progress since that time. https://www.faforever.com/2020/06/bad-n ... -gog-users

So basicly right now you need to have game on your steam account. So it is either you buy it on steam, or buy somewhere where you also get a CD key so you can redeem game on steam, then you can link your account and then steam is no longer required.

Edit: also retail versions of the game have DRM. but it is removed with the 1rst patch (1.5.3599). so not much special about this DRM free on GOG
http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus
http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd
TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI"
ZLO_RD
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 400 times
FAF User Name: ZLO

Return to Help