How do anti-torpedo weapons work?

Need help? This is the right place!
Note, reporting bugs and issues should be in the Tech Support forum!

Moderator: PhilipJFry

How do anti-torpedo weapons work?

Postby KillerOfMen » 19 Sep 2012, 18:22

Hello! :) :)

I've been comparing units in the database and was wondering about anti-torpedoes. In particular, I was comparing the Cybran Destroyer and Sub Killer: http://faforever.com/faf/unitsDB/unit.p ... 01,XRS0204

The destroyer's anti-torpedo weapon deals 1.05 dps, while the sub's deals only .2 dps. I fully understand dps in normal situations, but how does dps work when destroying torpedoes? How much hp does a torpedo have?

I notice that both weapons fire a projectile which deals 2 damage. If I assume that one projectile is enough to destroy one torpedo, then the destroyer's anti-torpedo weapon is much better because it fires about 5x faster. Is that the case?

Also, it's clear that all torpedoes are not created equal. Comparing seraphim subs: http://faforever.com/faf/unitsDB/unit.p ... 03,XSS0304 I notice that each of the yathsou's torpedoes deals 335 damage, while the sou-istle's torpedoes deal 75 damage.

Is two damage enough to destroy any torpedo? If so, we obviously want our destroyers/sub hunters using their anti-torpedo weapon on the yathsou. How do we tell our ships to do that? Do ships only fire anti-torpedo weapons at torpedoes aimed that them, or can they also protect other friendly ships? If I had a bunch of T2 sub hunters firing anti-torpedoes, it is possible that they would destroy ALL of a yathsou's torpedoes, erasing all of its damage?

Please please explain all of this to me!!!
-Killer
KillerOfMen
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: KillerOfMen

Re: How do anti-torpedo weapons work?

Postby ColonelSheppard » 19 Sep 2012, 19:07

as far as i know the projectile dmg is more or less always 1

so i guess the dps is only variable because of the firing rate and the amount of projectiles
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby Myxir » 19 Sep 2012, 19:15

i also think that the dps of anti-torpedo doesn't matter at all, as the torpedos don't have health (at least i don't know about)
Unhappy with balance http://i.imgur.com/q5G2BlM.png
Myxir
Evaluator

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 306 times
FAF User Name: Washy (irc)

Postby noobymcnoobcake » 19 Sep 2012, 19:17

Cybran and UEF anti torpedos act as "beacons" and draw all torpedos in a small radius towards them. They are the most effective

Aeon and Aera anti torpedos are useless on most units that have them. Tempests anti torpedo is good, as is missile ship. T3 subs is also good. But everything else it is useless.
noobymcnoobcake
Evaluator

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 5 times

Postby KillerOfMen » 19 Sep 2012, 19:36

You're saying the aeon tempest has good anti-torpedoes, but most aeon anti-torpedoes are worthless. This is a comparison of the destroyer to the tempest: http://faforever.com/faf/unitsDB/unit.p ... 01,UAS0401

The differences are the projectile damage, the lifetime, the firing rate, and the firing tolerance. Which of these stats make the tempest's anti-torpedo good and the destroyer's worthless?
KillerOfMen
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: KillerOfMen

Postby noobymcnoobcake » 22 Sep 2012, 00:37

Yeah saying they are good and some are worthless is an exaggeration. tempest anti torpedoes can target multiple different torpedoes while the destroyers one struggles to do this, wasting many anti torpedoes on the same one. it also fires around 4x the number of anti torpedos. The DPS is completely irrelevant.
noobymcnoobcake
Evaluator

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 5 times

Postby Plasma_Wolf » 22 Sep 2012, 10:40

I'd say that you can best compare the anti-torpedo with the tactical missile defence. The UEF,Cybran and Seraphim TMD fire bullets or lasers that shoot a missile out of the air while the Aeon one has a beacon.

As is said earlier. The UEF and Cybran anti-torpedoes are beacons so they take out all torpedoes that are close to each other, while the Aeon and Seraphim anti-torpedoes are projectiles that kill one torpedo at a time. I also think that all torpedoes have a HP of 1, so that all atni-torpedoes kill all torpedoes, regardless of what they are.

Finally, the fire cycle is more important than the dps they do. The same goes for the fire cycle the enemy torpedo systems do. A constant stream of torpedoes will make sure one goes through at some point, while a large blob at the same time could easily be killed, but this goes for Cybran and UEF (flares). For Seraphim and Aeon, I think a constant stream will be dealt with better than large blobs at a time.
Plasma_Wolf
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: Plasma_Wolf

Return to Help