Seton's Clutch - Rock Spot

Need help? This is the right place!
Note, reporting bugs and issues should be in the Tech Support forum!

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Seton's Clutch - Rock Spot

Postby Emptyless » 09 Sep 2012, 12:28

Im going to completely cover the rock spot on Seton's Clutch.
See more in video style on my Youtube Channel; http://www.youtube.com/user/TheEmptyless

Seton's is after the ranked map i think the most played map and because in the noobs only sometimes a player forgets a few basic tips which can cost the game for his team.

You can see Seton's Clutch can contain up to 8 players and the normal/most played team divide is left bottom versus right top.

Bottom left is the Airguy who has to secure the team of air suppriority. This player also has the task of getting one of the strongest economies in game to support teammates who are in need of power and short on mass. This is really late game though. His mirror player, the top right, has offcourse the same goal.

middle left is the rock spot naval guy. His role is simpy to win the naval. His mirror is the middle right naval guy. Im going to write this post on how to play the rock spot naval guy.

middle middle is the frontman. He makes sure no land units are able to walk into the base by turtling up a little bit. He also has to provide his team with the early mass reclaim in the middle which if you don't do that you can also lose the game. His mirror player middle middle has the same goal.

Bottom right is the beach spot naval guy. He has the same goal as the Rock Spot naval guy.

With all this being said i think it is time to move on:

--BASICS--

Supreme Commander economy is based on Mass and Power. Not enough mass or not enough power can stall production quite heavily.

- To get power you can either build t1 powergenerators or hydrocarbon powerplants, t2 powergenerators, t3 powergenerators or the experimental Paragon but the Paragon is really late game. If you build power generators next to a building which is using power you get a slight bonus. For Example a factory that is using -20 power and you build one t1 power generator next to it it will still produce +20 power but the factory now only uses -19. While this doesnt seem like much it is in the early game usefull when upgrading mass extractors which have 4 pgens next to it. However don't crazy on surrounding mass extractors as it still is an early game advantage only as you can build enough power really easily later on. To be able to get a little bit more power from a producing generator you can build energy storage next to it. I've seen quite some games where people would surround their Hydrocarbon Powerplant with energy storage and then surrond those with t1 power generators.

- Mass is more a problem which even late game can be a problem. You can get mass with mass extractor or mexes who can be t1, t2, t3. You can get it with fabricators and with reclaiming. The same thing goes for surrounding mass producing stuff with mass storage as for energy storage. If you surround a building producing mass with mass storages it will produce more mass. Reclaiming though is one of the features that is way under utilized. You can set an engineer on patrol or gather to reclaim trees, rocks and fallen enemy's or friendly troops. By reclaiming forest with enough engineers you can easily get a +30 mass income in the early game which is really important. Thats one of the main reasons why you have to build the 4 factories at the base to be able to support the engineering production. When reclaiming stones it is a little bit more than forests but when reclaiming for example enemy t3 ships who have sunk to to bottom of the sea you can get mass spikes of above 1000.

--Early Build Order--
Based on Dim14: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNxTEfcGmpA

While some people say that the build order is what fits you most i think that the first 2 minutes without going for a cheese in some sort of way are pretty standard. I would like to thank PraiseGurgleOurMaster and Dim14 for this build. (http://www.youtube.com/user/praisegugleourmaster)

The build goes as follows:
I have set the build order with numbers but NOTE between 7 and 8 you should build the mass extractor - a little mistake sorry.

1. You start off with you ACU building an mass extractor and after that an Land Factory at exactly those spots.
2. build 5 power generators
3. build the mass extractor
4. build the remaining 8 power generators
5. build the air factory.

After these 5 basic building steps you can either build 3 more t1 powergenerators, upgrade the second mass extractor or build 2 more land factories. These order of these steps are for how you want to play so choose for yourself.

Because you will have your first land factory producing infinite engineers you want to use those early ones as best as you can

1. move to the middle of the powergenerators as you see with the move command in the image 2. and assist ACU
2. move down to reclaim the rocks (picture 3) and build the mass extractor there and a radar
3. take 2 mass extractors in base that arent taken by ACU and then assist ACU
4. assist ACU
5. assist ACU
6. build mass extractors on the right + 3 land factories (who wille produces infinite engineers) at the beach (image 4)
7. and 8. take remaining mass extractors and hydrocarbon powerplant
9+ reclaim forest or whatever you want

Once the air Factory is done (2:40) you want to get a bomber flying towards the bottom and after that an air transport for taking the island. After that just spam intercepors to help air guy

After this you will have your entire economy and sim city ready to go. Just make sure you upgrade your mexes and once they are t2 keep upgrading but also build mass storages next to them. Use your commander for the first 3 t2 power generators (Because you can get the commander t2 really fast). Build your navy on the style you like and have fun.

I hope you all liked this guide. If you have comments or additions or changes feel free to post them or PM me.

Check out my youtube channel as well http://www.youtube.com/user/TheEmptyless
Emptyless
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Emptyless

Re: Seton's Clutch - Rock Spot

Postby Myrdral » 09 Sep 2012, 13:09

For new FA players who wish to jump right into Seton's Clutch, your post and videos are a useful resource. Respect to Dim and you for crediting part of your own build to his innovation. Your detail may even prove useful to more experienced players.

Keep in mind that no tutorial is truly complete. You gave a greatly detailed description of a standard, if not basic, build order for rock. Take this tutorial with a grain of salt. Learn game concepts from it, then apply your knowledge to develop your own build order. Human elements from yourself, allies and opponents demand build order adaptation. Under the ever-changing circumstances of each individual game, optimal build order changes every second.

My suggestion to improve your already great basic rock tutorial is to include an emphasis on the reasons for each build order decision. These reasons are most valuable as it will help players to optimally adapt to game conditions. For example, a general concept is to put nearly all of your mass and energy income into one project at a time. From your tutorial, a player will know to assist their ACU's early buid queue with one or more engineers where optimal. Yet, they may not know the reason to do this is to focus on one project at a time. Engineer travel time is a consideration here as well. Ideally, you want to have the perfect amount of build power to use your full economy at each priority build project in a sequence which minimizes wasted engineer travel time. Expanding to distant mexes, locating engineer spam factories and reclaiming etc. must be carefully planned so your build power is nearby the right places at the right times.
Myrdral

FAF User Name: Myrdral

Postby KillerOfMen » 11 Sep 2012, 23:18

Why the mex before the factory?
KillerOfMen
Crusader

FAF User Name: KillerOfMen

Postby SeraphimLeftNut » 12 Sep 2012, 06:38

mex before factory is 100% for style
no ui lag: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MdcVdL2kIY
I think this is going to be fun
SeraphimLeftNut
Contributor

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 219 times
FAF User Name: TA4Life

Postby Voodoo » 12 Sep 2012, 08:37

I think it is not good to ignore the hydro. My first two engeniers are going to it after they build 1 or 2 mex.
And the acu don't need to build a mex when you are using the stones. So you can have a transporter in under 3min. It's very important to capture the island as fast as you can.
Voodoo

Has liked: 251 times
Been liked: 344 times
FAF User Name: Voodoo

Postby Emptyless » 13 Sep 2012, 07:29

I think eventually the mass extractor will work out quite well if you place it first. Though if you want to put some early aggresion with any kind of race then you should ofc build the land factory first. TAG_UBER wrote a nice post somehwere about the factions and their strenghts. So if you play UEF or something i would still recommend getting it first because you can't really put early aggresion until you have your stable fleet of subs, torpedoboats, shields etc.
Emptyless
Crusader

Postby Voodoo » 13 Sep 2012, 08:47

I have a BO to kill the opponent in under 10 min. You can attack with air, drops and t1 navy. After that rush on t2 navy and finish him. The problem is, this works only when your alone with your opponent. But as all players go heavy eco they have realy nothing on the start of a setons game.
Voodoo

Postby Emptyless » 13 Sep 2012, 22:32

Voodoo wrote:I have a BO to kill the opponent in under 10 min. You can attack with air, drops and t1 navy. After that rush on t2 navy and finish him. The problem is, this works only when your alone with your opponent. But as all players go heavy eco they have realy nothing on the start of a setons game.

Can you post a replay then of a 10 minute rush :?
Might as well learn from it :)
Emptyless
Crusader

Postby Voodoo » 13 Sep 2012, 23:31

I will play a setons as soon as possible.
Voodoo

Postby Emptyless » 14 Sep 2012, 08:24

Voodoo wrote:I will play a setons as soon as possible.

Thank you

I thing i noticed i should have added is the lack of teamspeak usage. While i think that players who are playing this know far more about there pc than regular sc2 players. I think we should really promote teamspeak usage as it gives such a nice style of play and it makes it so much more fun playing as a team.
Emptyless
Crusader

Next

Return to Help