Economy for New Players

Need help? This is the right place!
Note, reporting bugs and issues should be in the Tech Support forum!

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Re: Economy for New Players

Postby rootbeer23 » 20 Jun 2013, 07:37

gnatinator wrote:Bumping for new players.

I lost too many games today because of new team mates losing the economy game.

what did they do wrong?
rootbeer23
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 31 times
FAF User Name: root2342

Postby gnatinator » 20 Jun 2013, 20:44

Fairly typical new player issues such as half of their extractors still T1 40 minutes into the game, not using the storage bonus, etc.

I know this sounds horrible, but understand we all start somewhere, and knowledge of these things is the quickest way new players will get better and not be frustrated.
Economy for New Players | LAN Party List supports the FAF community.
gnatinator

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times
FAF User Name: gnatinator

Postby Hawkei » 25 Jun 2013, 07:12

Eukanuba wrote:I'm pretty sure that I read that an engineer's build power is halved if he's assisting a factory, can anyone confirm or deny this?

No. this was a change in FA. The factory build power was doubled, and unit build times doubled. It meant that engineers were half as effective, and unassisted factories were better. Compared with supcom vanilla. Build power is build power. it does not change.
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 182 times
FAF User Name: Firewall

Postby E8400-CV » 21 Oct 2013, 03:37

How does one check the import/export of one's resources? Some games I think I'm OK on energy but then, later on, it suddenly appears that I'm importing 5000 energy from a teammate. As soon as he builds something crazy I'm left with a huge shortage.
Is there a way to see how much of the small green +xxx is your own production?

DilliDalli wrote:I personally just start placing t2/3 power randomly around when I get to building it, away from other buildings.

You can still stick shields next to it this way, although you need to build slightly more shields if you want to cover them all.

The advantage of this is that it makes it harder for the opponent to kill all your power, spreading them out means no chain reactions, and more time is required to bomb different targets/drop on different targets. I also dislike putting my power next to anything which I don't want to get blown up like engies (because when you get to the t3 power stage buildpower is very important).

I really like to see that on the other team if I get into a match that ends with T3 arty.

Last week (or the week before that?) I had a game where we couldn't get trough the shielding of the enemy single T3 arty with two T3 arties on my team. Then we just targeted all those unshielded Pgens and gone were the shields :lol:
E8400-CV
Evaluator

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 32 times
FAF User Name: jcvjcvjcvjcv

Postby gnatinator » 14 Mar 2014, 14:29

Bumping for the influx of new players.
Economy for New Players | LAN Party List supports the FAF community.
gnatinator

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times
FAF User Name: gnatinator

Postby fondelaar » 14 Mar 2014, 17:59

how usefull is it to do this:

1. take all mexes
2. surround the one you wish to upgrade with Pgens
3. Upgrade to safe some power
4. ctrl-K the pgens and place storages

would it be more cost efficient? How much of the mass gets retrieved after a building/unit gets destroyed?
fondelaar

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: fondelaar

Postby Aulex » 14 Mar 2014, 21:48

fondelaar wrote:how usefull is it to do this:

1. take all mexes

would it be more cost efficient? How much of the mass gets retrieved after a building/unit gets destroyed?

I think you get around 90% of the mass back and that is more efficient from an ecowhoring perspective but if you are playing on a small map or a 1v1 you may want to surround your mex with a factory for cost reduction bonus because you're not as likely to cap your mexes in comparison to a larger map or a team game
"Let's start beating ass and die" - drunk TA4Life

"Just because you have a d*** doesn't mean you need to be one...pussy" -Blackdeath

SCOUTING SAVES LIVES
http://imgur.com/YGk0W0o

How to play Sup Com by Ubilaz
http://goo.gl/je83z
Aulex
Contributor

Has liked: 299 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: VoR_Aulex

Postby ax0lotl » 15 Mar 2014, 13:16

how usefull is it to do this:

1. take all mexes

Surrounding mexes with pgens is done sometimes. Like here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtwTaBkJJJ8
Pgens explode on death, which does some damage to adjacent buildings, so pgens next to mexes should be reclaimed without Ctrl-K.
Building and reclaiming pgens takes time and attention.

I think surrounding mexes with pgens is only worth it when you very early, when power is a bottleneck, want to convert reclaim into upgrades.
ax0lotl

Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 35 times
FAF User Name: ax0lotl

Postby RedX » 15 Mar 2014, 21:02

Am I incorrect in my understanding that engies don't benefit from adjacency bonuses applied to structures they are assisting, thus making adjacency for factories rather less effective than people are thinking? I build PGens around factories for the slight power savings but primarily because then the shields I build next to the pgens are covering my factories and benefiting from adjacency at the same time. I never build factories adjacent to mexes except on very small maps where I do not expect to ever hit a point where I will be building storage around all my mexes. Sometimes I will build my initial fac adjacent to a mex and then just spam engies and reclaim it later to replace it with storage, but I only do this when I am sure that upgrading a different landfac will not impact my spam ability too much.
RedX

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 14 times
FAF User Name: D3matt

Postby Wildman » 11 May 2014, 15:32

Im up for the challenge of going to noob to medium player ^^
Wildman
Crusader

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: ikickasss