Quitting SupCom

Talk about anything not related to FA or FAF here !

Quitting SupCom

Postby Flynn » 06 Apr 2015, 20:43

I really want to quit SupCom for good but I know I would miss it. When I see something in RL that reminds me of SupCom or see a movie like Edge of Tomorrow that really makes me want to order around big stompy robots. What annoys me with SupCom is not getting good, especially losing to guys with a faction of my games behind them. This is a big of a "cool story bro" post but I have written it now and thus must post it. Sorry if it seems annoying to some people.
Flynn
Evaluator

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: Flynn

Re: Quitting SupCom

Postby Flexable » 07 Apr 2015, 08:44

Ok.
what about a last game before quitting ? ;)
Flexable

Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: Flexable

Postby Flynn » 07 Apr 2015, 13:32

Great idea ;) Part of the problem of quitting is that I would miss the strategy, there is no real life alternative to controlling mass robot armies :)
Flynn
Evaluator

Been liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: Flynn

Postby -_V_- » 07 Apr 2015, 15:29

Still thinking this is your "M. Psy fix my brain" forum ? :mrgreen:
-_V_-
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby SeraphimLeftNut » 07 Apr 2015, 20:30

You can't quit supcom because when you are searching for cups in the kitchen and find one, ctrl+z, doesn't allow you to find the rest.
no ui lag: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MdcVdL2kIY
I think this is going to be fun
SeraphimLeftNut
Contributor

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 219 times
FAF User Name: TA4Life

Postby Morax » 10 Apr 2015, 17:40

When I walk through the forest trails during hikes I keep thinking how the mountain of rocks could make a Megalith with ease.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby codepants » 26 May 2015, 19:32

Realize this is a tiny bit old, but wanted to comment because it seems like an interesting conversation.

I think the best thing to do would be to accept that you aren't going to get really good really fast and play to have fun. There are players with 3k games that are 1k rated... I don't imagine they are playing to get better. And that's OK.

I was considering quitting Supcom cold turkey and ran across this article which gave me an interesting perspective. He's selling something, but the point is, video games are social and they are a challenge. That's why we like them. If you beat every supcom game you played, I'm not so sure you would play anymore. Supcom is addicting because it's re-playable. Every game is different.
http://kingpinlifestyle.com/how-to-quit ... deo-games/

Needless to say, I haven't quit supcom, but I don't play nearly as much anymore. And you know what? I got better. Playing fewer games forces me to focus on a few things to improve. Before, I'd just play until my mind turned to mush. Maybe some people can do that and still get better. I don't think it was working for me, or very healthy.

In any case, just my thoughts. At the end of your life I don't think you're going to look back and say, "Darn, I was still only a 1300 at supcom." I think you'll look back and say, "Yea, I was 1300, but that's because I cheesed noobs so hard they turned to asiago and farted everywhere."

Okay, hopefully at the end of your life you have more important things to worry about than video games, but that's another conversation... which I think Brnk or Gyle would be able to speak to since they have recently married, but still supcom.

My two cents.
codepants
Priest

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 54 times
FAF User Name: codepants

Postby BRNKoINSANITY » 27 May 2015, 00:08

I shall speak ;)

My wife and I have had this discussion, and basically video games are entertainment. Playing two hours of supcom is no different than watching two hours of TV or listening to two hours of your favorite podcasts and youtubers. It is how you choose to spend that time of day when it is "me" time and you don't really have other things to do.

The only problem is when it starts consuming so much of your time that you neglect other things. Leaving work 30 minutes early to fit that extra game in... Not doing any reading or keeping up on the local events... Not talking to anyone or leaving the house... Different people give up different things, up to the point where it is actually detrimental to your health because you are losing sleep and making yourself sick.

Everyone draws the line in different places, and to be honest up till recently I was playing WAY WAY WAY too much supcom and wasting too much time in #aeolus. I could feel my life slipping away from me in the form of lost interests and a closing mind. This is why I gave up being a moderator and took a step back from so much play time. I can now sit down and play for 1-3 hours, depending on the day, and then have time to devote to my wife, to casting, to reading, to exploring some things I have been wanting to learn, and the list goes on. I have quite literally gained 3-4 hours of my life back that I was putting into supcom before, and I feel 1000% better because I am not completely sleep deprived anymore.

This is all just me personally. Some people enjoy supcom to the point of consuming it 24/7, and if they are ok with it I am ok with it :) I just know that it was not good for me, and so I have taken a step back. You know what? I feel good!

Side note --- I am now teaching myself some basic animations and some things with video editing, so all that free time is actually quite fun to invest!
BRNKoINSANITY
Evaluator

Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 207 times
FAF User Name: BRNKoINSANITY

Postby ThrashAbaddon » 10 Nov 2015, 18:42

this is one really good link. thanks :)
ThrashAbaddon
Crusader

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: The_Author

Postby dstojkov » 11 Nov 2015, 15:21

Flynn wrote:I really want to quit SupCom for good but I know I would miss it. When I see something in RL that reminds me of SupCom or see a movie like Edge of Tomorrow that really makes me want to order around big stompy robots. What annoys me with SupCom is not getting good, especially losing to guys with a faction of my games behind them. This is a big of a "cool story bro" post but I have written it now and thus must post it. Sorry if it seems annoying to some people.

Dude ... May be you just tired of faf not fa since this is not the same ....

For instance I love this game but I hate the restrictive politics of faf's owner and the decisions they took "in the name of the community" especially one global featured mod and more generally the global balance change since the end of gpg( 3599 ).

Before, the bugs makes player leave ... now the balance. The worst is this story is that more left for good because of the balance than for the bugs !!!! :roll:

Regards
Last edited by dstojkov on 11 Nov 2015, 15:29, edited 2 times in total.
dstojkov
Evaluator

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 24 times

Next

Return to Off-Topic