How important is fluff to your RTS enjoyment?

Talk about anything not related to FA or FAF here !

How important is fluff to your RTS enjoyment?

Postby AdmiralZeech » 23 Mar 2015, 14:46

Let's say I wrote an RTS.

Let's say I accidentally made amazing gameplay, in the style of TA/SCFA, but with great innovations of my own. And very good UI.

Let's say it was bug free, had a full range of multiplayer/online/competitive features, and good skirmish AI.

Let's say I have lots of pretty particle effects for projectiles and explosions.

But lets say I have no talent at 3D art or writing. And I don't even bother. My tanks are just icons, my superunits are just large cubes. The names of my factions are "Side A, Side B, Side C", the names of my units are "Light tank, medium tank, heavy tank, etc." There is no story, no context.

Would you miss the fluff that much? Do you get a lot of additional enjoyment from seeing that awesome "Monkeylord Spiderbot" blast its way through "UEF Pillar heavy tanks"? From the characters and the events in the campaign, the backstory of the factions, etc?
AdmiralZeech
Priest

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 62 times

Re: How important is fluff to your RTS enjoyment?

Postby da_monstr » 23 Mar 2015, 14:59

I think it's important to be able to relate to factions and their backstories. And I'll openly admit, I'm a bit of a graphics whore. I would not be able to stand a game with grey blocks for units instead of models that convey their awesomeness. Killing Monkeylords would be no fun without seeing the big spider topple over :) .
Peace through superior firepower.
[Total Biscuit, comparing FA to SupCom2] "The scale and the sublime nature of the economy was ruined with Supreme Commander 2, which I absolutely despised. Oh god, I hate that game so very much."
da_monstr
Priest

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 20 times
FAF User Name: Mainstay

Postby nine2 » 23 Mar 2015, 17:17

i would play it if it was amazing. but i think others wouldn't. and then it couldn't be that great (need lots of players). so i don't think it can work.

whilst 3d stuff is a tonnnnne of work and i would say not possible.... others can help you with backstory factions etc.

what do you want help with?
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby Frozen_byte » 23 Mar 2015, 22:00

I do not need 3D graphic.
I do not need SkrimishAI

I need good pathfinding
I need good Simulation
I need Planet rotation
I need DAY/NIGHT-CYCLE!!!

I'm not sure if the missing context will bother me, I like the creative names on Units. Some I remember some I dont.
~¿Quis custodes custodit?~
Frozen_byte

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 22 times
FAF User Name: Frozen_byte

Postby Exotic_Retard » 24 Mar 2015, 00:09

this is actually quite hard to predict - it also depends on things like community and such

for example mods. those will change everything. so il assume no mods.

also the community will create backstories to side a/b/c and such - this will also help fill in the missing gaps. so i will assume you didnt mean that too.

in that case i guess your game would not be very popular, but very very loved by those that do play it.
reason: whose who get past the barrier of lack of gfx and see the game for what it is (amazing) will love it.
those that dont will just think its shit without ever knowing.

or mb it will be so different that it attracts attention and becomes an instant hit. who knows. the internet is very strange.

personally - given that the gameplay is amazing - i would love it... i think :P
Exotic_Retard
Contributor

Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 626 times
FAF User Name: Exotic_Retard

Postby Puschkin » 25 Mar 2015, 13:45

Fluff isn't that important to me, however, when you are down to "Side A" and "Side B" and even down to units represented just by squares and blobs, then no, thank you. It's not so much that I need eye-candy, but I still need a proper, fast and memorable way to distinguish units, factions and so on.

Basically, what you describe would be playing FAF but always showing the strategic icons and no actual units regardless of zoom level. This wouldn't work. I've got used to the icons and can enjoy watching replays in strategic view for great parts but if I am actually playing, I just need those visual hints.

For the record, I would still love to play a game of "Empire" (the very old DOS game), so yeah, graphics aren't that important to me if the gameplay is striking. Although I have to admit that one gets slowly spoiled over time ... RK's explosion mod was very welcomed be me :)
Puschkin
Crusader

Been liked: 5 times
FAF User Name: Puschkin

Postby nine2 » 25 Mar 2015, 14:12

i wonder if to be a great rts you actually need turrets that turn and face the enemy, at a certain rate, with certain accuracy etc. all that firecycle stuff is important....?
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Postby Frozen_byte » 25 Mar 2015, 15:03

Yes! It gives a realistic feel, if the turret have to rotate first.

A nice example is DoW or CoH* both using the relic engine. Epic atmosphere but the shot is calculated BEFORE ITS EVEN SHOT and this results in very stupid, facepalming, raging moments because you cannot dodge/abuse rotation speed by running in circles.

*Dawn of War/Company of Heroes
~¿Quis custodes custodit?~
Frozen_byte

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 22 times
FAF User Name: Frozen_byte

Postby Puschkin » 25 Mar 2015, 16:02

It's not only the realistic feel, it's what gives units their "face" AND it opens up room for certain tactics and micro management tricks.

See, many novice SupCom players complain about the lack of unit diversity between the factions. But there are actually tons of differences, albeit little ones at times. Like the UEF frigate being the only one with radar jamming. But that's abilities - when you go down into details there are more differences.
For example, generally you are only interested in DPS and range and don't care much about firecycles and turret turn speed etc. Let's take naval units and their torpedos. Two units may have the same DPS and range for torpedos but one fires twice the amount of torpedos (with half damage each). This may matter when facing targets with anti-torpedo and it even matters which kind of anti-torpedo: Is it one of those that fires at torpedos? If so, the unit with twice the number of lower power torpedos has a slight advantage!
Puschkin
Crusader

Been liked: 5 times
FAF User Name: Puschkin

Postby nine2 » 25 Mar 2015, 16:48

yeah and it changes overkill. the point is a lot of diversity is achieved with fire cycles. maybe you dont need to see a turret per se but i all the tiny parts that make up fire cycle and unit movement and projectiles = that all adds a ton of flavour to an rts. Without that it is just boxes shooting dots.
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Next

Return to Off-Topic