How important is fluff to your RTS enjoyment?

Talk about anything not related to FA or FAF here !

Re: How important is fluff to your RTS enjoyment?

Postby AdmiralZeech » 26 Mar 2015, 12:16

Thanks for the responses everyone! Whilst I certainly wouldn't go so far as "Side A, Side B" etc, it was interesting to pose the extreme and see what people thought.

partytime wrote:what do you want help with?

Lol, I need someone to take away all my games, novels and anime so I can actually do something productive for once. And stop me from buying a PS4 to play Bloodborne :P
AdmiralZeech
Priest

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 62 times

Postby Vee » 26 Mar 2015, 12:59

"Fluff" is important when you are first playing a game. Now I would still enjoy supcom if you removed all unit models and just displayed icons, but if it was like that when I played the game for the first time I would definitely quit immediately.
Vee
Evaluator

Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Vee

Postby Blodir » 26 Mar 2015, 13:37

I actually wouldn't mind at all, but I agree with others that it makes the game that much less approachable.

P.S I've never played the supcom campaign and I don't have any clue what any of the factions stand for
Blodir
Contributor

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 535 times
FAF User Name: Snowbound

Postby Frozen_byte » 26 Mar 2015, 15:35

AdmiralZeech wrote:Lol, I need someone to take away all my games, novels and anime so I can actually do something productive for once. And stop me from buying a PS4 to play Bloodborne :P

You speak right out of my soul mate!
~¿Quis custodes custodit?~
Frozen_byte

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 22 times
FAF User Name: Frozen_byte

Postby Morax » 27 Mar 2015, 18:27

If the strategy is to take two pieces of bread, add peanut butter, and decide "fluff" is another ingredient that is needed I like lots and lots:

Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby Tremarl » 14 Apr 2015, 10:34

I don't play text based games. So no I'd enjoy some fluff
Tremarl
Spammer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 4 times
FAF User Name: Tremarl

Postby justmakenewgame » 07 Aug 2015, 08:52

Blodir wrote:I actually wouldn't mind at all, but I agree with others that it makes the game that much less approachable.

P.S I've never played the supcom campaign and I don't have any clue what any of the factions stand for

that's a surprise... no, a shock!

AdmiralZeech
depends on target group. People were playing Quake with so ugly textures(to get like 120 fps) that any game would look good. But you see what's going on in game industy... Game are not changing for years and years. Just better graphics. There are games with 15 years old gameplay and just improved picture and effects.
For me: if someone in his promo video would start talking about actual game play and not as always - graphics, effects, other cheap hipe; i would be so glad and surprised... I'm disqusted by all those "presentations" like Star Citizen or Doom 4 or Mount and Blade 2. So if you ever make a game that would go for improved gameplay, you have a good chance to become a new legend in game industry.
better colors for FA - forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5434&start=30#p106723
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3--CgLvJGpk

<Aurand> dogler; you made bad decisions
justmakenewgame

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 23 times
FAF User Name: justmakenewgame

Postby Nombringer » 07 Aug 2015, 13:08

I guess at that point your cutting into the market of people that play chess.

But you would be competing with game that has god knows how many years of people playing and knowing about it ect.... So it would probably fail :(
BC_Blackheart: i just copy his shit and do it 5% better leads to easy win usually xD

Need help? Are you a new player? Feel free to message me any time in the lobby :) Lessons may cost a portoin of your soul.... (Noms are included but not guaranteed)
Nombringer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 65 times
FAF User Name: Nombringer

Postby tatsu » 28 Aug 2015, 19:35

AdmiralZeech wrote:Let's say I wrote an RTS.

Let's say I accidentally made amazing gameplay, in the style of TA/SCFA, but with great innovations of my own. And very good UI.

Let's say it was bug free, had a full range of multiplayer/online/competitive features, and good skirmish AI.

Let's say I have lots of pretty particle effects for projectiles and explosions.

But lets say I have no talent at 3D art or writing. And I don't even bother. My tanks are just icons, my superunits are just large cubes. The names of my factions are "Side A, Side B, Side C", the names of my units are "Light tank, medium tank, heavy tank, etc." There is no story, no context.

Would you miss the fluff that much? Do you get a lot of additional enjoyment from seeing that awesome "Monkeylord Spiderbot" blast its way through "UEF Pillar heavy tanks"? From the characters and the events in the campaign, the backstory of the factions, etc?

so long as the units had actual complex 3D models and there was projectile simulation in a grand way. to me it would be the best game ever.
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 1952 times
Been liked: 171 times
FAF User Name: tatsu

Postby nine2 » 31 Aug 2015, 02:33

Why not make some fluff? I bet u could recruit someone to make storyline and 3d models. Somewhere out there is a 3d guy dying to make an rts but doesnt have a programmer etc.
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic