Ashes of the Singularity - looks good

Talk about anything not related to FA or FAF here !

Re: Ashes of the Singularity - looks good

Postby pip » 03 Apr 2016, 08:39

So, now that the game is released, what you guys who bought it think of it? The production value for the game seems limited but the engine sure looks promising and seems the perfect fit for a Supcom 3 / FA total conversion, or TA successor. Let's hope they improve Ashes and that the engine will be used in other RTS.
pip
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 191 times
Been liked: 86 times
FAF User Name: pip

Postby rxnnxs » 03 Aug 2016, 22:40

I am wondering if this game has done a good approach into the right direction?
Is it now better than 8 month ago?
i read that the developer/producer talked about so much they were adding and such, was it all hot air?
thanks to this thread/read:
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=12721&p=130703
mentioning those links:
http://forums.ashesofthesingularity.com/474441
http://forums.ashesofthesingularity.com/477022
rxnnxs
Priest

Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 24 times
FAF User Name: rxnnxs

Postby Masyaka » 06 Aug 2016, 08:30

1)Cpu is not a big problem scince it runs FA
2) Graphic simulator, torture for poorest GPU noobs
3) no micro obviliously
4) 4 resources? Ecowhores possibly?

Is that game free?
Masyaka
Priest

Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 5 times
FAF User Name: Rok-Weiler

Postby rxnnxs » 06 Aug 2016, 13:25

i read through some posts in steam and this game still is crap in my opinion.
asking for the reason why all units are hovering, the fanboys argue around, just to say then in the last sentence, yes, the devs say also its because its harderto implement.
also, they do not give answers, they tell them all to use the search function...
well, look here and here and here...
in the first link read for instance the comments of ebe-a51 and the ones from the developer draginol
now they starting to drag it into the funny. well, let them have their fun, but that community will slowly vanish as it happened at numerous others like in the x-universe. egosoft had also a very high attitude.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/228880/di ... 745322714/

http://steamcommunity.com/app/228880/di ... 1470344559

http://steamcommunity.com/app/228880/di ... 1470343019

http://steamcommunity.com/app/228880/di ... 1470337305
rxnnxs
Priest

Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 24 times
FAF User Name: rxnnxs

Postby Zoram » 06 Aug 2016, 19:12

I tried it for a few hours and didn't like it:

- the lore is not very compelling. The start of the campaign really left me scratching my head. Supcom really wasn't the gold standard of story telling, but this ... Wtf.

- the units are ugly. Really. The hovering just feels like what it is, a tech shortcut for easier pathfinding and not having to animate moving parts. It could have been made in such a way that hover adds something, like crossing lakes or go over small ravines. But no it just feels like units and world are in two different universes, it doesn't feel like units belong there. You get no sense of epic fight. Just slow blobs of stuff.

- explosions are ugly too. Little bulbs of colours. Could work in a cartoonish universe, here it just feels like they didn't finish the animations.

- for the very few hours I plaid, it seems everything is a corridor, no open plane.

- I don't get the "win by collecting resource points" thing

- they didn't want to have a strategic zoom so that play style would not be icon soup. Fair enough, but they didn't replace it by anything of any worth. The strategic map is a joke.
And anyway at the maximum zoom level, where you'll be at a lot of the time, you already have no clue what you're looking at. No icons, granted, instead a blob of stuff. So yeah, you get all the cons with none of the pros of strategic zoom.

- it's bugged. Maybe I'm unlucky. But I had to try three times upon installing the game to get it to start properly.
First time it staid stuck forever on a loading screen. Second time I was welcome with a "check the forums" or some such, and couldn't click anywhere.
Zooming to the max often results in being stucked in the ground, with nice glitches, for a few seconds.

Anyway. Again didn't play much, but those are my first impressions.

At least I could use it as a benchmark for my new 1070 ...
Zoram
Priest

Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 111 times
FAF User Name: zoram

Postby butch3r » 11 Nov 2016, 18:06

Anyone tried Escalatione xpansion? Is it any better?
I know there is strategic zoom for starting.

I only watched gameplays, still don't like the economy (never tried so maybe in gameplay its okay)
butch3r
Crusader

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: butch3r

Postby Professor » 11 Nov 2016, 18:21

I don't think there's much point asking around here. If it's not FA 2.0 a lot of people here don't want to look at other RTS games. It's very different to FA so if you're looking for something very similar you won't find what you're looking for. Escalation definitely improves and adds but if you don't like the base game I doubt you'd like the expansion.
Professor
Crusader

Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 7 times
FAF User Name: ProfessorJ69

Postby Zoram » 11 Nov 2016, 18:26

Professor wrote:I don't think there's much point asking around here. If it's not FA 2.0 a lot of people here don't want to look at other RTS games. It's very different to FA so if you're looking for something very similar you won't find what you're looking for. Escalation definitely improves and adds but if you don't like the base game I doubt you'd like the expansion.

I, for one, would be very happy to look at other RTS's. It just so happens that I didn't like this one. See my "review" above.
Zoram
Priest

Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 111 times
FAF User Name: zoram

Postby Masyaka » 12 Nov 2016, 08:17

Its a game where resources means more than outsmarting/replying your opponent's moves. All you need is resource points and bigger army.
Masyaka
Priest

Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 5 times
FAF User Name: Rok-Weiler

Previous

Return to Off-Topic