Star Citizen?

Talk about anything not related to FA or FAF here !

Star Citizen?

Postby MinisterPhobia » 14 Nov 2014, 15:22

Is anyone in the FAF community looking forward to Star Citizen as much as I am? I've put over $1000 USD into the game so far, and, if I wasn't as broke as I am right now, I would put more in without question. I'm VERY excited for this game!

If any of you are looking at this and looking for someone to fly with in Arena Commander, I play under the name MinisterPhobia. I'm also running an Organization that I would love to get some people into and get a community going.

To be clear, though, FAF is still my main game. I'm just planning ahead.
MinisterPhobia
Crusader

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: MinisterPhobia

Re: Star Citizen?

Postby Aarhun » 14 Nov 2014, 15:45

To be honest, I find it a little bit frightening to put so much money in crowd founded projects. At least without having a demo or something concrete. (even if now they have delivered some part of the project)
I wish all the best to Star Citizen and it definitively looks awesome, but I'm a bit suspicious.
Wait and see… ;)
Aarhun

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: Aarhun

Postby sisso » 14 Nov 2014, 16:44

MinisterPhobia wrote:put over $1000 USD into the game so far, and, if I wasn't as broke

Guy, please, don't do it. Invest some much in a promise will hurt yourself and you are hurting the game industry.

Buy X3: Albion Prelude from Steam by some bucks and have 1k hours of gameplay.
sisso
Crusader

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: sisso

Postby Legion Darrath » 14 Nov 2014, 16:58

I bought a simple starter package, I forgot what's in it but it was like 40ish euro I think. I'd pay more but I don't want to spend money on something that doesn't really exist yet and I got burned enough on PA.
Legion Darrath
Evaluator

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 117 times
FAF User Name: Legion_Darrath

Postby ZeRen » 14 Nov 2014, 17:44

I dont trust pre-order and other kind of "pre", if I cant try it before buying
and I dont buy SC before I see open world(space) and traveling between sectors

but this looks really good and Iam watching it closely
ZeRen
Evaluator

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 49 times
FAF User Name: ZeRen

Postby DDDX » 06 Nov 2019, 09:28

So...fast forward 5 years.

How many of you play it today?
Or have at least been in the verse a few fimes, in the 3.x versions?

I'm an avocado (evocati) and get early access to new builds to test before they get released to general public.

They made some really impressive breakthroughs in gaming...most notably-the scale of things. The ability to land on a planet with no loading when that planet is literally 1/6th the size of our Earth...that's goddamn MASSIVE!
It's so huge that you don't even see the curvature of the planet, once you are on foot.

The development is slow, with some more...substantial mechanics just now coming in (like ship mining and FPS mining. Descending and wandeding around in tight caves in search of valuable ore to get back to your ship, or picking a random asteroid, landing on it, exiting the ship and floating around searching for laranite to fill your backpack with is soooo much fun!)...

There was a free-flight event last week, I am sorry now I did not write this post sooner.
Check out my 2 maps: "Survival_Mayhem&BO_3d_v1" "Survival_Mayhem&BO_3d_RPG"
as well as my mod: "Survival Mayhem&BO balance"
-- let me know of any bugs or issues regarding those 3.
DDDX

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 16 times
FAF User Name: DDDX

Postby Katharsas » 06 Nov 2019, 11:04

I backed the original campaign early with a 100 Euro starter ship. Ive looked into it many years ago but they had only hangar and a very early Arena Commander version back then. Im concerned about the feature creep, I hope they don't f*** it up and i still visit the reddit from time to time to criticize a thing or two.

But Im not really interested in the game anymore until the single player is released and polished. I didnt back the game for the MMO so whatever happens with that is not very important for me. I think playing the game now will substantially spoil it for me, i can play a single game only so much before it grows stale (excluding some very few, special games).

However, when the game releases, it WILL disappoint a lot of people (not me though, i just want to fly in SP and thats already in the game basically). The community-made hype and self-proclaimed Youtube-Expert hype around the game is insane (and CIG doesnt do much to bring expectations back down to earth). There will some major community frustration before this story finishes (i guess the next big one will be when the devs inevitably cut some of the feature creep down because it takes longer than expected to implement). You cant keep promising new features forever. In fact they are already over the amount of features that a team of humans can implement in a reasonable time frame. Maybe the MMO will be finished by intelligent AI or something. xD

Edit:
Oh and btw., i predict that the networking of the game will always be wonkey, maybe even bad. The MMO portion could end up being pretty buggy. Don't get your hopes up too much.
Katharsas

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 34 times
FAF User Name: Katharsas

Postby DDDX » 12 Nov 2019, 10:12

I dunno...what I keep seeing is a slow but steady progress.
Some very difficult things have been done almost to perfection. Like planets and moons.
Caves are so awesome...and give such exciting options like having a slightly larger asteroid with a hidden cave in it, in a vast sea of asteroids in a field in the middle of nowhere...

Mobiglas is working almost entirely without crashing, ships almost entirely spawn functional and buggless...

There are 3 steps to programming
- Think up a code for it (very time consuming)
- kill all the bugs (also very demanding)
- Make actual content.

Now when you reach step 3, with steps 1 and 2 done, the speed of development of actual playing content increases insanely.

That being said, I agree, the nature of hyping is to disappoint.
With one huge exception - we can constantly see and play whatever releases.
So it's not like they keep it hidden, waiting to finish it, while the hype grows -quite the opposite.

Have you seen the "Vertical slice" of Squadron42, and what did you think of it?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BHR1aEdTA4M&t=4s
DDDX

Postby Katharsas » 12 Nov 2019, 20:18

Ok but they are nowwhere near step 3 if you count ALL features. Some of the "professions" aren't even in alpha or properly designed. And each additional feature that you add has to integrate with all previous feature properly, so what you get is an exponential explosion in complexity that more interacting features you try to put in.

And if you listen clearly, whenever they answer community questions, they usually answer them like this:
"Yes, we WANT to have this in the game".

Shortly after some Youtuber and community be like:
"OMG Star Citizen IS GOING TO HAVE THIS! YAY!"

This is a perfect recipe for disappointment.
Katharsas

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 34 times
FAF User Name: Katharsas

Postby DDDX » 13 Nov 2019, 01:12

Perhaps.

If they were making a normal game, i would agree.
They are trying to make something that will firever alter the gaming industry set a benchmark for future games in terms what can and should be done.

Bottom line - I enjoy every new patch and every new content,mechanics and profession that comes with it.

I get to test it play it.
You never did answer me what you thought of the "Verticle slice".
Seems pretty done,does it not?
DDDX

Next

Return to Off-Topic