What would you do if you had a REAL commander?

Talk about anything not related to FA or FAF here !

What would you do if you had a REAL commander?

Postby samoja » 01 Dec 2013, 18:53

Heya guys, long time no see, i often imagined how it would be if i rely possessed a commander, lets say you accidentally run into a crashed alien wreckage, you found a device inside which is able to turn energy into matter and vice versa, also it had a large database containing every tech you needed to make any unit or building in SC, including commander(excluding mass fabs as they make no sense), all you need is to enter shape and parameters, suck in some mass(like some rocks or dirt) and voila. What would you do with such power?

EDIT, as yoo are making your stuff atom by atom you can make materials far tougher than today's armor, near impenetrable with current tech, also t1 generator would produce about as much power as modern nuclear reactor.
samoja

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: samoja

Re: What would you do if you had a REAL commander?

Postby ZLO_RD » 01 Dec 2013, 19:23

Factory, pgen, pgen, mex, mex, 3 more pgens, second fac then spam engyes, reclime stuff around and after t3 make t3 power and mass fabs, and make shitload of stuff, like covering planet surface with mass fabs, and then creating more surface areas just to place mass fabs on, and then make some sort of dyson sphere...
basicly i would ecowhore and expand cause i see no enemies around...
http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus
http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd
TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI"
ZLO_RD
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 400 times
FAF User Name: ZLO

Postby samoja » 01 Dec 2013, 20:28

ZLO_RD wrote:Factory, pgen, pgen, mex, mex, 3 more pgens, second fac then spam engyes, reclime stuff around and after t3 make t3 power and mass fabs, and make shitload of stuff, like covering planet surface with mass fabs, and then creating more surface areas just to place mass fabs on, and then make some sort of dyson sphere...

Yeah but rely, the true question is why, what would you gain by it? srsly how would one unravel that kind of power without causing a catastrophe, i mean if you shared it with even one more person there is a great chance you two would end up in eternal power struggle with both of you having infinite resources, which would crush the rest of humanity and quite possibly a large portion of our galaxy too, so you would have to keep the knowledge solely to yourself. But rely what is the point, world dominance is overrated, many many millions of people would die, and all you would get is a full time job of running the entire world, do you know how much paperwork that is? And you already can synthesize whatever you could possibly want, so what are the benefits of being overlord of the world?

EDIT: oh by the way the way i see it, mexes are not rely necessary, you could just situate yourself atop rocky mountains and melt it fro top to bottom, nuff mass to do whatever you like.

EDIT 2: I said no mas fabs, they are wholly impossible, turning 1 kg of mass into energy and vice versa is theoretically possible, making mass out of nothing not so much, and there is already more then enough mass in solar system alone to make whatever the hell you want, there is mass of earth*5 in oort cloud alone.
samoja

Postby Gorton » 01 Dec 2013, 21:15

Mass fabricators don't make mass out of nothing, they change energy into mass.
"who is this guy, he didnt play gpg or what?" - RA_ZLO

*FAF Moderator*
Gorton
Councillor - Moderation

Has liked: 1067 times
Been liked: 455 times
FAF User Name: Gorton

Postby Gerfand » 01 Dec 2013, 21:22

Wait you mean... I can create a Universe
Suck Big Bang theory
Gerfand

Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 7 times

Postby Gerfand » 01 Dec 2013, 21:26

ZLO_RD wrote:Factory, pgen, pgen, mex, mex, 3 more pgens, second fac then spam engyes, reclime stuff around and after t3 make t3 power and mass fabs, and make shitload of stuff, like covering planet surface with mass fabs, and then creating more surface areas just to place mass fabs on, and then make some sort of dyson sphere...

This way you will play PA
Gerfand

Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 7 times

Postby samoja » 01 Dec 2013, 21:41

Gorton wrote:Mass fabricators don't make mass out of nothing, they change energy into mass.

Which they get from fusion, making it very efficient process for loosing mass, you cant get any energy except by converting mass, so converting something like 1/100000000000 of mass into energy and then turning that energy back into mass 1/1 only works in game because you can extract mass only from certain spots on the landscape, but if you could melt mass anywhere, as it should be then they are not rely practical to say the least.
samoja

Postby Mycen » 07 Dec 2013, 19:33

samoja wrote:
Gorton wrote:Mass fabricators don't make mass out of nothing, they change energy into mass.

Which they get from fusion, making it very efficient process for loosing mass, you cant get any energy except by converting mass, so converting something like 1/100000000000 of mass into energy and then turning that energy back into mass 1/1 only works in game because you can extract mass only from certain spots on the landscape, but if you could melt mass anywhere, as it should be then they are not rely practical to say the least.

Nah, that's never how I looked at it.

I like to look at it this way: You can only build mexes on certain spots for the same reason that we only build mines on certain spots - only certain spots on a planet will have material of the type and volume that makes it worth pumping out of the ground. (Probably very dense metals in this case - gold veins, uranium deposits, etc.)

But you can build mass fabricators anywhere, not because they are making mass out of pure energy, but because they are gathering whatever random silica or other relatively useless material is lying around, and using that energy to transform it into more dense elements that can be used for construction.

Mass extractors pump out material already present on the planet (cheap and easy) while mass fabricators use an industrialized verision of this. Expensive and inefficient, but flexible and customizable.
Mycen
Evaluator

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 40 times
FAF User Name: Mycen

Postby eXcalibur » 09 Dec 2013, 15:03

there is a really great book about exactly this subject!
i have read it a couple of times. i love it.

Spoiler: show
it is about a young boy, who wants to make all people rich by inventing self-replicating robots. this way, all the work can be done by robots without any additional cost.
an ACU can (almost) self-replicate as well, just build an SCU... and this SCU builds another, and another, and ...

unfortunately, it is only available in german (as far as i know): https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herr_aller_Dinge
eXcalibur
Priest

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: eXcalibur

Postby samoja » 11 Dec 2013, 11:11

eXcalibur wrote:there is a really great book about exactly this subject!
i have read it a couple of times. i love it.

Spoiler: show
it is about a young boy, who wants to make all people rich by inventing self-replicating robots. this way, all the work can be done by robots without any additional cost.
an ACU can (almost) self-replicate as well, just build an SCU... and this SCU builds another, and another, and ...

unfortunately, it is only available in german (as far as i know): https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herr_aller_Dinge

It is called Von neuman and it is a rather well explored topic, but every Von neuman SF i know of turns out to get out of control, like in X-universe of X-games where Von neuman terraformer drones got a corrupt update and started killing everyone, that is why i said that real ability to turn matter into energy and vice versa wouldn't be so kewl, maybe at first you would solve all world problems but sooner or later some madman would start building an army in secret, he would attack, the rest of the world would fight back and with limitless resources earth would be turned to dust. Most modern wars end when one side runs out of resources because its economy was devastated, like WW2, what if both sides have limitless resources?
samoja

Next

Return to Off-Topic