Call for a web based platform

Talk about anything not related to FA or FAF here !

Re: Call for a web based platform

Postby dstojkov » 25 Jun 2018, 00:03

Hi guys,

check this out

openvpn_1.jpg
openvpn_1.jpg (85.81 KiB) Viewed 7616 times

openvpn_2.jpg
openvpn_2.jpg (84.1 KiB) Viewed 7616 times

Openvpn ftw :D
dstojkov
Evaluator

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 24 times

Postby Brutus5000 » 25 Jun 2018, 00:44

Do you mind explaining us what we can see there? I see twice the same screenshot once with ip once with host?
The 9th Doctor wrote:You think it'll last forever, the people and cars and concrete. But it won't. One day it's all gone, even the sky.
Brutus5000
Councillor - DevOps

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 288 times
FAF User Name: brutus5000

Postby dstojkov » 25 Jun 2018, 12:43

Brutus5000 wrote:Do you mind explaining us what we can see there? I see twice the same screenshot once with ip once with host?

Sure

In the first screenshot you can see the url of gpgunleashed

In the second this is the ip address of the openvpn server.

As you can see the web page open on the same very page but this time "through" the VPN

Here a screenshot that can help you understand better:

openvpn_3.jpg
openvpn_3.jpg (148.4 KiB) Viewed 7592 times

In a same manner each commander will receive is own ip address before game is launched. Since all players in the game will be connected via VPN (for fa )there will be in theory no connection issue even though someone can have a bad connection and drop but this will be no more be a connection issue.

I hope I made it more comprehensible
dstojkov
Evaluator

Postby Geosearchef » 26 Jun 2018, 13:38

So basically you say you solved connection issues by using a VPN? Putting everyone playing a game in one network is security wise not a good idea at all. Also, you need to pay a server to host this on. And actually, we can already do this. I can just tell my ICE adapter to use TURN as default so all traffic will be relayed via a server. This would solve connection issues, but 1st put a heavy load on the server probably requiring multiple servers and 2nd increase ping times. Imagine 2 people sitting in one room in Australia. If they now use a proxy/vpn/turn whatever relay server located in europe they will usually get a RTT of 450+ which is barely below the maximum FA can handle.
Developer, Server Admin, ICE, currently working on Team Matchmaking, FAF Client
Geosearchef
Contributor

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 127 times
FAF User Name: Geosearchef

Postby dstojkov » 26 Jun 2018, 14:23

Hi Geosearchef,

I ll try to go through all your points

Geosearchef wrote: Putting everyone playing a game in one network is security wise not a good idea at all

Well putting a bunch of players together in a vpn session during a single match should not provide much chance of an attack. Unless you host some applications on your local PC and even though this is even less chance to get an attack that connected on your own wifi.

Geosearchef wrote: Also, you need to pay a server to host this on

already do :D

Geosearchef wrote:This would solve connection issues, but 1st put a heavy load on the server probably requiring multiple servers and 2nd increase ping times. Imagine 2 people sitting in one room in Australia. If they now use a proxy/vpn/turn whatever relay server located in europe they will usually get a RTT of 450+ which is barely below the maximum FA can handle

You got a point here. This need to be tested first and see how much it will influence the ping. border line I ll get a server in au once I move there :lol: I ll do it if there is a real need the like lot of players in asia region
dstojkov
Evaluator

Postby Geosearchef » 26 Jun 2018, 17:54

Putting you in a VPN with other players during a game poses multiple security threaths.

It basically puts you in a subnet with them leading to the loss of a functioning firewall as you already said. This is no problem, unless you're running local services that should only be accessible in a local network (which some people do)

It opens the door to a wide varity of attacks like man in the middle attacks, session hijacking, spoofing, spreading viruses, . Also attacks on security flaws in operating systems often just work in the local network and you provide a perfect way for them to spread.
Developer, Server Admin, ICE, currently working on Team Matchmaking, FAF Client
Geosearchef
Contributor

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 127 times
FAF User Name: Geosearchef

Postby dstojkov » 26 Jun 2018, 23:31

Geosearchef wrote:It basically puts you in a subnet with them leading to the loss of a functioning firewall

:? as far as I know your firewall is not gone because you plugged into an LAN why should this be different with a VPN ?
Being on on a VPN is just another way to say I am plugged on a LAN with the exception that you go through a tls ... so man in the middle is basically not possible nor session hijacking :?

You should take a look at the openvpn doc ...
dstojkov
Evaluator

Postby Brutus5000 » 28 Jun 2018, 15:53

I have a question that may have been answered before.
Doesn't installing and configuring a VPN adapter defeat the initial approach of being a pure web based platform?
The 9th Doctor wrote:You think it'll last forever, the people and cars and concrete. But it won't. One day it's all gone, even the sky.
Brutus5000
Councillor - DevOps

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 288 times
FAF User Name: brutus5000

Postby dstojkov » 28 Jun 2018, 18:02

Brutus5000 wrote:I have a question that may have been answered before.
Doesn't installing and configuring a VPN adapter defeat the initial approach of being a pure web based platform?

Hi Brutus5000,

A pure web based platform is not possible. The reason being is security. the browser can not execute arbitrary code on the host, otherwise it will the security breach of the century :D A possible way is to write a plugin. But again the plugin as to be downloaded and installed ...

Back to your question, you as a player you just need to install openvpn and rename the adapter, the configuration is done automatically. Connections are always been an pain in the ass tbh. FAF went with an relay solution I ll go with another one that I think is more appropriate for the purpose

P.S: I plan to use my client for linux too ... An eventual upgrade will be to write a heavy client with javaFX but that is another story
dstojkov
Evaluator

Postby axel12 » 29 Jun 2018, 16:57

Or you just make the whole client to be java fx https://github.com/FAForever/downlords-faf-client ;)
axel12
Contributor

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 6 times
FAF User Name: axel12

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic