Call for a web based platform

Talk about anything not related to FA or FAF here !

Re: Call for a web based platform

Postby speed2 » 08 Nov 2017, 14:35

jackherer wrote:But how good you are at making ppl work togeather and getting involved in the project.

Considering how many ppl we have working on all kinds of things now I'd say at least 1000x better than what it was. Not to mention it's also very easy for new ppl to get started.
speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

Postby dstojkov » 08 Nov 2017, 14:44

jackherer wrote:
Downlord wrote:Wouldn't you rather want to build things that are useful to people? Things they enjoy? Things that don't just waste your precious time for nothing? If so, why don't you just join our team and work with us? We'd love to get your help.

But if I'm getting this all wrong and you're just doing it for yourself, knowing that nobody will ever use it but just because you enjoy doing it. Well then, go ahead but I suggest to stop posting here. It looks very pitiful.

First of all you have any idea of how many people give up working with you guys? How many good will you discourage?

How much you guys miss a leader and a big picture vision? How it just looks like some kids coding their own little project and not giving a shit about what is really needed and about the players.

Why would anyone want to waste their time and code on a dying project that have more regress than improve since Sheoo's coup d’état (2 or 3 years ago if my memory is good...) And who end up with visionik spending his money to allow everyone to keep playing on Zep work.

The only improvement i can see is coop by Speed and server stability. All the rest was working same or better on Zep time.

So tell me concretely what have you guys build that was really usefull to the player? What real decisions have been taken to make faf expend and not regress?

I'm pretty happy faf isnt handle by Zep anymore who was like Trump, abe to push the nuclear button at any moment because he wasnt happy. I'm happy it became more open, but i'm not sure that "the open driven community project" being control by 4 nerd is a better thing than being control by Zep.

So yes we can thank big time Visionik, because if we had to wait for a rebuild from scratch like it was about to happen without Visionik help, we will probably all be playing on dstojkov lobby. His persistence and good will to make an alternative deserve at least respect, specialy from someone in charge ...

To finish, you say to him that he is welcome to work with you to join the "team" but that posting his work here is pitiful...

Like always faf "leaders" knows how to speak to people and discourage them spending time for faf ...

Thx for the truth even if it can hurts some feelings
I am not willing to begin a lobby war. I am all about the community.
I still have lot to do before i can call it a day !
Last edited by dstojkov on 08 Nov 2017, 14:46, edited 1 time in total.
dstojkov
Evaluator

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 24 times

Postby jackherer » 08 Nov 2017, 14:45

speed2 wrote:
jackherer wrote:But how good you are at making ppl work togeather and getting involved in the project.

Considering how many ppl we have working on all kinds of things now I'd say at least 1000x better than what it was. Not to mention it's also very easy for new ppl to get started.

with witch result for the player/user? What are the concrete results of getting more ppl working on all kind of stuff 1000X better than before?
I still only see Coop. we had more working feature 3 years ago....

Did Visionik left in part because dev wasnt giving a shit about player/user? Or i am wrong?
jackherer

Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 61 times
FAF User Name: Jackherer

Postby PhilipJFry » 08 Nov 2017, 14:56

you're wrong

also your assumption that the devs don't care is incredibly strange to me. Those people spend a lot of their free time to contribute to FAF to keep this ship afloat.

In my experience it's a lot harder to actually get people to get involved into helping/providing feedback etc.
Spoiler: show
i guess this is enough off topic for not though
Last edited by PhilipJFry on 08 Nov 2017, 14:59, edited 1 time in total.
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby Downlord » 08 Nov 2017, 14:58

With some of your points I agree, jackherer, but most I'd have to counter. However, this is Dstojkov's thread and I don't want to bring it off topic.

Instead, I created a new post here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15399
Working on FAF is my passion. Most of you know me for the feature-rich Downlord's FAF Client, but I also program and maintain the FAF server. Visit my Patreon page to get some insights on my work.
Downlord
Councillor - DevOps

Has liked: 161 times
Been liked: 213 times
FAF User Name: Downlord

Postby jackherer » 08 Nov 2017, 15:20

Just to end up on this topic with Philip before i take time on the otherone with Downord, are you that sure i'm wrong?

visionik wrote:Downlord, if you had wanted to be "open" you should have posted the complete, unedited version of the chat history. Instead you turned it into a propaganda piece selectively edited to promote your personal opinion.

If someone could post the entire #website chat for the 24 hours or so in question I'd greatly appreciate it.

Until then, I'd like to point out two things:

1. About breaking things: We are supposed to learn from our mistakes, not repeat them. We screwed up when we broke features in the interest of technical progress earlier this year (the infamous new server). I said this in the chat: (Downlord didn't include this bit)

[8:17 PM]
visionik i really do not want to break anything anymore. if we break stuff, we should roll back or fix it. yes, we broke stuff in the first half of the year. i’d rather like to stop doing that.

[8:17 PM]
visionik i assumed that there was a cultural agreement on this point. perhaps my assumption was wrong.

2. I also had a direct-message conversation with Downlord where I explained why I was unhappy. I'd gladly post it if Downlord is ok with that. Among other things, in that conversation I told him that I'm done with FAF.

I will be announcing a plan for the gradual withdraw of my support in January. I "saved" FAF because I enjoyed it. It was fun, and the up front and ongoing cost was worth that fun. FAF is no longer fun for me. I'm paying for a toxic headache - which makes no sense at all.

I will pay for the servers and help the community in any way possible for a few more months to enable a smooth transition. I wish everyone GG's and sincerely hope the best for FAF.

-V
jackherer

Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 61 times
FAF User Name: Jackherer

Postby Golol » 08 Nov 2017, 18:30

Hey dstojkov,
I remember seeing your thread when it was created and I obviously didn't take it seriously like everyone else but now, seeing that you kept working on it, I have to say I am very impressed with your mentality and how you take the criticism.
I personally don't believe your lobby will ever see much use either, but you must have your own reasons for still working on it and you never know what time brings anyways.
Golol
Contributor

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 21 times
FAF User Name: Golol

Postby dstojkov » 10 Nov 2017, 19:14

Golol wrote:I personally don't believe your lobby will ever see much use either, but you must have your own reasons for still working on it and you never know what time brings anyways.

That s true :D
dstojkov
Evaluator

Postby dstojkov » 10 Nov 2017, 19:34

Hi

I found peoples for the testing of the VPN this week end.
The test should not take that much time.
If everything will run fine I ll integrate it in the lobby within the next week

Regards
dstojkov
Evaluator

Postby dstojkov » 14 Nov 2017, 01:45

Hi

I got some issues with the tests :| Configuring this VPN server is quite annoying.
dstojkov
Evaluator

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic