Call for a web based platform

Talk about anything not related to FA or FAF here !

Re: Call for a web based lobby

Postby Ze_PilOt » 01 Aug 2013, 12:43

rootbeer23 wrote:the only thing that is slow in the lobby is when you go to the replay tab for the first time, but
that is entirely due to disk I/O. (i have a spinning disk and with that it takes maybe 20 seconds).

I think that could be optimized a lot by multithreading the loading of replay info.

Unless it's really due to I/O, I have mine on my SSD, so I don't know really.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby Ze_PilOt » 01 Aug 2013, 12:45

rootbeer23 wrote:you can modify the forged alliance lobby to have more than 1 ladder and you can use the faforever.com server for your
own version. all you need to do is add a second server that gets the game results too. and you can do it in a fraction
of the time.

The lobby is designed so any featured mod can have his own ladder (the matchmaker is actually doing that exactly).

The problem is that I won't accept simple balance mod as featured mod to not have the TA Spring effect (so many version of the same thing that people don't know what's best and what to use, scattering the community and make new players lost).
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby Nombringer » 01 Aug 2013, 12:46

If think if you are willing to put in that much time, the community would much rather you helped out with FAF than create a copy of it with more featured mods...
BC_Blackheart: i just copy his shit and do it 5% better leads to easy win usually xD

Need help? Are you a new player? Feel free to message me any time in the lobby :) Lessons may cost a portoin of your soul.... (Noms are included but not guaranteed)
Nombringer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 65 times
FAF User Name: Nombringer

Postby dstojkov » 01 Aug 2013, 12:46

rootbeer23 wrote:you can modify the forged alliance lobby to have more than 1 ladder

... Dude you missed the point .. This is not wished at all
dstojkov
Evaluator

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 24 times

Postby Nombringer » 01 Aug 2013, 12:47

Ze_PilOt wrote:
The lobby is designed so any featured mod can have his own ladder (the matchmaker is actually doing that exactly).

The problem is that I won't accept simple balance mod as featured mod to not have the TA Spring effect (so many version of the same thing that people don't know what's best and what to use, scattering the community and make new players lost).

Agreed.
BC_Blackheart: i just copy his shit and do it 5% better leads to easy win usually xD

Need help? Are you a new player? Feel free to message me any time in the lobby :) Lessons may cost a portoin of your soul.... (Noms are included but not guaranteed)
Nombringer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 65 times
FAF User Name: Nombringer

Postby Gyle » 01 Aug 2013, 12:53

dstojkov wrote:
You don't get the point ... There will not be a default "version". Each nod will have his own ladder. Thus encouraging people to make their own stuff.

All that's going to do is fracture the community, encouraging everyone to play different mods rather then be focused around a single central game option.. I know Zep isn't planning to add any of the original format for precisely that reason. Personally I don't think that would be the problem. I think that ladders for every mod could potentially be far more damaging. If you are a joe, the sort of joe that makes up 50-60% of FAF's regular player base, and you want to log in and just play a game of FAF but everyone is off laddering on separate mods that can only increase the waiting times for games or reduced the amount of custom games being hosted. It doesn't take a great deal for that joe to log off to play somthing else thus reducing the likelihood for him not to log back in next time.

In this particular case I believe less is more.
My youtube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/felixlighta?feature=mhee

"Don't take life too seriously... no one gets out alive."
Gyle

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 28 times
FAF User Name: Gyle

Postby dstojkov » 01 Aug 2013, 13:05

Nombringer wrote:
Ze_PilOt wrote:

Agreed.

This is where our path split dude ... I definitively not agree with that.

Most of the players I knew are gone some being kicked, banned ... other just gives up on their own on their once beloved game because a too strict politic !!!! Just believe what you want and stay blind if you want this is your issue

I will just not give up on my once games mate because someone tell me what is better for me or the community ... Sorry we do have enough people who tell us what is "good" for us ... If you guys need a master this is your fucking choice !!! I don't need to have it also here and because speaking brought nothing I better invest my energy in building something from scratch so no blackmail at all
dstojkov
Evaluator

Postby Koecher » 01 Aug 2013, 13:15

dstojkov wrote:You don't get the point ... There will not be a default "version". Each nod will have his own ladder. Thus encouraging people to make their own stuff.

So, anybody who creates his own mod/version, no matter what it changes, it would creat its own ladder? So, if I just add a Monkeylord Lazor to the Mantis, it would get its own ladder? Sounds great! :lol:

Do you know where it ends up when there are several versions out there? No? Remember back to GPGnet when 3603 Beta, the Patchmod or FA-Ladder released. What happend than? Right! It was a pain to play a game as everybody had his own favor where and what to play. And that was like 2 or maybe 3 different gameversions.
So, in order to play balanced games, what would happen if you offer like 20 different redundant versions? How long would it take to fill a balanced, lets say, high-level 4v4 game? How many almost equal games - just with some minor differences - would be hosted at the same time waiting to be filled?

dstojkov wrote:
Koecher wrote:why not use Assembler?

In some part of linux kernel assembler is used for optimizing purpose....
We don't need that here....

Ahje, detecting sarcasm isnt one of your strengths, eh?
Koecher
Contributor

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 20 times
FAF User Name: Koecher

Postby dstojkov » 01 Aug 2013, 13:47

Koecher wrote:So, anybody who creates his own mod/version, no matter what it changes

yes anybody, it have at least too be played. I meant with this that every mod that is played will have the possibility to have a ladder.

Look at faf so many featured mod. but not all are played.
dstojkov
Evaluator

Postby Koecher » 01 Aug 2013, 15:47

Erm, you realise that you somehow contradict yourself, right?

On the one hand side, you tell about having a big load of Mods with own ladders on the other hand side you see yourself that some of the featured mods in FAF are barely played. And acutally all the FAF featured mods are hand-chosen and pretty good while they offer real significant changes and a real new game experiences.

So, having multiple balance changing mods with own ladders will do better?
Koecher
Contributor

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 20 times
FAF User Name: Koecher

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic