Call for a web based platform

Talk about anything not related to FA or FAF here !

Re: Call for a web based lobby

Postby Ze_PilOt » 30 Jul 2013, 14:39

I can already tell you that you won't be able to do stuff in a browser that are easily possible in FAF.

Believe me or not, it's not my problem, I guess you need to make your own mistake to learn.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby Ze_PilOt » 30 Jul 2013, 14:46

dstojkov wrote:But for long running app they are not used.

You should make your research (or open my links) before saying stupid things like this.

http://www.sublimetext.com/ is 100% Python.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calibre_(software) is mostly python.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercurial (the repository system FAF is using) is 100% python.

Eve Online is using Stackless Python for both client and server (yes, the only real MMO out there is using python for the server).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eve_Online#Development
This frees the game developers from performing some routine work and allows them to apply changes to the game universe without resetting the server

By the way I'm using python for the server for the exact same reason : I can update the code without restarting it or disconnect anyone.

I've only cited some popular one, but they are many.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby da_monstr » 30 Jul 2013, 14:49

I get a feeling that dstojkov is just pissed that his "3599 unleashed" mod is not a featured mod. So he wants to make another lobby client for a game with an already small community?!

I... I just... wow.
Peace through superior firepower.
[Total Biscuit, comparing FA to SupCom2] "The scale and the sublime nature of the economy was ruined with Supreme Commander 2, which I absolutely despised. Oh god, I hate that game so very much."
da_monstr
Priest

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 20 times
FAF User Name: Mainstay

Postby dstojkov » 30 Jul 2013, 16:19

I read your links. Python is quite promising. it's faster to develop but this was kind of obvious this is a scripting language !!

But there is also some arguments in favor of java as well ... So you prefer Python no problem I'm good with it. But for a long running project I would rather choose a java based stuff and why not experiment with python or what ever
dstojkov
Evaluator

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 24 times

Postby Ze_PilOt » 30 Jul 2013, 17:19

That does not answer the original question : what's the point of doing it?
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby dstojkov » 31 Jul 2013, 11:49

I already answered this question just read my post above.

As soon as I reinstall all stuff on my laptop I will begin with the network sniffering to understand what is going on here :-)
dstojkov
Evaluator

Postby Ze_PilOt » 31 Jul 2013, 11:52

That does not answer it at all.
About the "long running project" argument, if EVE online is not "long running project" enough for you...
You've said why you want to use java (and I don't get why you want it in JRE in a web browser), not why you want to start a new project.

Why starting exactly the same project than FAF from scratch ? What FAF can't do that yours will be able to ?
I can already tell you want you won't be able to do with java running in a web browser that FAF is already doing.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby Koecher » 31 Jul 2013, 17:17

I just found this and felt rememberd to this threat:

...so true...

Btw, why not use Assembler? Once you are done, the programme probably run faster than the python based version (if you have good Assembler skills). :mrgreen:

Ze_PilOt wrote:What FAF can't do that yours will be able to ?

Using his "Unleashed" Mod as default versiion :lol:
Koecher
Contributor

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 20 times
FAF User Name: Koecher

Postby dstojkov » 01 Aug 2013, 12:12

Koecher wrote:why not use Assembler?

In some part of linux kernel assembler is used for optimizing purpose.
We don't need that here. Python may be used for long running project but in comparison with the long project running java ... I mean this is not comparable at all .. let's be serious.

Koecher wrote:Using his "Unleashed" Mod as default versiion :lol:

You don't get the point ... There will not be a default "version". Each nod will have his own ladder. Thus encouraging people to make their own stuff.
dstojkov
Evaluator

Postby rootbeer23 » 01 Aug 2013, 12:38

dstojkov wrote:In some part of linux kernel assembler is used for optimizing purpose.

We don't need that here. Python may be used for long running project but in comparison with the long project running java ... I mean this is not comparable at all .. let's be serious.

the faf lobby uses 1% of the CPU most of the time. there is simply nothing worth optimizing.

the only thing that is slow in the lobby is when you go to the replay tab for the first time, but
that is entirely due to disk I/O. (i have a spinning disk and with that it takes maybe 20 seconds).

in the linux kernel, assembler is used for pure optimization in only 1 spot: the crypto functions.
and of course here and there, but all that amounts to less than 1% of the kernel.
and that makes sense, because with crypto you can actually put your CPU to use.

Koecher wrote:Using his "Unleashed" Mod as default versiion :lol:

You don't get the point ... There will not be a default "version". Each nod will have his own ladder. Thus encouraging people to make their own stuff.[/quote]

you can modify the forged alliance lobby to have more than 1 ladder and you can use the faforever.com server for your
own version. all you need to do is add a second server that gets the game results too. and you can do it in a fraction
of the time.
rootbeer23
Supreme Commander

Been liked: 31 times
FAF User Name: root2342

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic