Call for a web based platform

Talk about anything not related to FA or FAF here !

Re: Call for a web based platform

Postby Zoram » 14 Nov 2014, 21:26

dstojkov wrote:
Aurion wrote:so I really wish there was an alternative

Well ... You have still Steam.

It is playable and useer friendly but well .... you have no feature. So and it was my point the outcome is almost the same

dstojkov, I nearly tried your thing, because I waste way too much time on the interweb. Yet I didn't.
- You have no website, if you do, I havn't found it.
- You have a forum with more -empty- categories than active users ( active users being exclusively you), that screams "hey, I'm 14 years old, this is the year 1998, I just discovered the internet and I built a forum for the thousands of fans that will queue to discuss on it". Well, the thing is, hudge empty forums are like hudge empty restaurants, nobody ever gets in there.
- Following your links I'm redirected to two boxes to subscribe, with no indication whatsoever, what is it you're getting into. I stil "subscribed" out of sheer curiosity, and after a couple more empty blank pages, I got a bunch of files in a zip, whohoo.
- Now I'm not bored or stupid enough to waste time trying to figure out what the hell I'm supposed to do with it, then proceed to install something without knowing whatever it will do to my computer.
- I'm not delluded enough to think that whatever it will launch will allow me to find any games at all to play, when the number of people posting anything on your forum is actually zero.

That's not even an alpha release, actually, that's the thing, nobody knows what exactly it is. So who's going to try it.

Scrap the 20 categories empty forum, do a simple web page, explaining clearly what it is you're trying to achieve, and maybe, maybe, people will try it out.

Oh, I did get one thing out of all your posts on here. You're building a lobby for people who wanna play 3599 (or whatever patch number it actually is). Well, I for one, wanna play supcom, or supcom Forged Alliance. How many players actually care, let alone remember, patch numbers ? Maybe on a recent game with a hudge community, you'd find enough geeks getting passionated about a patch version. On a game released in 2007, and abandonned before 2010, I find it rather unlikely.

As for the multi-lobby things to get games going faster, it defies logic. Yes for the one person hosting several, once one is full, you can tell to the people waiting in your other games: "sorry dude, f*** off, my other game is full, I'll play that one", but since your system allows everyone to do that, everybody ends up being fucked. It's basic game theory, really, check it out.

(plus the fact, that multilobby when you probably don't have 5 active users, come on ..).
Zoram
Priest

Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 111 times
FAF User Name: zoram

Postby Softly » 14 Nov 2014, 21:54

I just want to come and say that moaning about how many features this lacks rather misses the point.

dstojkov has a functional if bare bones lobby, try to remember that at some point faf would have been exactly the same.

Constructive criticism is probably whats required, and an understanding that good software doesn't get developed in a day.

@dstojkov great work and keep it up :)
Softly
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 251 times
FAF User Name: Softles

Postby Zoram » 14 Nov 2014, 22:00

Softly wrote:I just want to come and say that moaning about how many features this lacks rather misses the point.

dstojkov has a functional if bare bones lobby, try to remember that at some point faf would have been exactly the same.

Constructive criticism is probably whats required, and an understanding that good software doesn't get developed in a day.

@dstojkov great work and keep it up :)

I just spent quite a bit of time explaining, from my user point of view, why I didn't try it, and why imho, no significant amount of players would either, in the current state of the project. Lots of others have also stated what they think is key, and what is secondary, in such a venture.

I don't know exactly what you would call constructive citicism. Yes, there is lots of sarcasm mingled in the advice, and while it is not necessarily very nice, it's bloody hard to not take the piss a litle at the whole thing, given the wild claims that have been made of incoming release in the next few days, starting some 6 months ago ...
Zoram
Priest

Postby dstojkov » 15 Nov 2014, 01:26

Hi Zoram,

Zoram wrote:"hey, I'm 14 years old, this is the year 1998, I just discovered the internet and I built a forum for the thousands of fans that will queue to discuss on it"

Thx for the feedback. I am not 14 old ;)

I never force you to try my lobby. A lot of person don't care at all about it. I am fine with it.
But there is not only you in the community.... Some others are interested what about them ? What about the people that left the community because they didn't agree with the decision that were taken by the elite of faf before? What about them? Just carrying about you is also no solution. Everyone that loves this game should have a place to go.
This is why I began my lobby ... this is not about me but about the community and the community as a hole not only a part of it.

Being eager on critics ok … May I ask … What did you sacrifice for the community?

Regards
dstojkov
Evaluator

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 24 times

Postby Zoram » 15 Nov 2014, 01:56

dstojkov wrote:Hi Zoram,

Zoram wrote:"hey, I'm 14 years old, this is the year 1998, I just discovered the internet and I built a forum for the thousands of fans that will queue to discuss on it"

Thx for the feedback. I am not 14 old ;)

what ? and we're not in 1998 ?

dstojkov wrote:I never force you to try my lobby. A lot of person don't care at all about it. I am fine with it.
But there is not only you in the community.... Some others are interested what about them ? What about the people that left the community because they didn't agree with the decision that were taken by the elite of faf before? What about them? Just carrying about you is also no solution. Everyone that loves this game should have a place to go.

Where did I say caring about me was the solution ? I took my example, because (quite obviously), I'm the only person whom I can speak of with authority. Not being a mind reader and all, I don't speak on behalf on anyone.

Then I can only infer, usine common sense and logic, what might work or not. I infer, for example from your empty forum, that the "others" you speak of do not represent any kind of player base. Or it is an extremely silent one really, and not, by far, "the community" or any tangible share of it.

Now if your idea is to develop a niche thing for a group of buddies, kuddos to you really, Ive got no issue with it (why would I care ?). But you're the one speaking of "the community" and bringing your project to this forum.

dstojkov wrote:Being eager on critics ok … May I ask … What did you sacrifice for the community?
Regards

Did you read anything of what I wrote, at all ?

- you have no web page, so noone will know about what you're trying to achieve

- your forum is a joke. It's a basic rule of community building, you don't start by setting 20 empty forums. You show content, you convince why people should care first, and you build your following from there.

- your multi-lobby idea is self defeating, it encourages poor behavior (drop games and people within that don't get filled first and since everyone has the option of doing the same, it will actually decrease the number of games actually starting)

- the idea of non discriminated multi-balance-mods is confusing to anyone but hardcore players who actually care about patch versions. For anyone else, it will look like a clusterfuck of "choices" with no reason to pick one over the other. Even assuming the difference between patch version is obvious enough to people, to maintain games going in at least a few of these mods, you will need a player's base numbering in the high thousands. Which you don't seem to have.

- You won't have it if you don't care about explaining clearly what you're doing, hell there isn't even a readme file in your zip. You said on here it was about a web based lobby, I'm confused, what is the download for ?

As for the sacrifice I made, well I made none, so ?
I made no sacrifice neither to architecture, yet I'm so arrogant that I feel entitled to tell any wannabe house builder that building a house in the middle of a swamp with the door on the roof will not attract any buyer.
Zoram
Priest

Postby dstojkov » 15 Nov 2014, 02:27

Zoram wrote:you have no web page, so noone will know about what you're trying to achieve

http://forum.gpgunleashed.net/

This is a forum for the people to post ... Why do I need a web page ?

In Announcement you have the last dev infos
but not only that .. I leave all instructions how to test it almost step by step
I telll you what to download and how to deal with it.

... I mean you just need to read

Zoram wrote: you don't start by setting 20 empty forums.

The vaults are soon done. I just prepare the forum for the mods, maps makers so that they know where to post.
This is a platform for playing but not only. This is a place where every work can be put online and tested

Zoram wrote:your multi-lobby idea is self defeating

Why self defeating ?

you can host as much as you will ... but you can also join as much as you want and this in the same time. So plan A don't work ... you still have a plan B.What is wrong with that ?
If you prefer waiting hours .. ffs host only a game no one force you to host 20 games or join 20 if you don't want. The possibility is there. All is up to you at the end

Zoram wrote: hell there isn't even a readme file in your zip

The zip like you say is the client ... like faf is one. Browser can not launch program .. and there is a reason behind it.
The visual part is on the browser the action you made on the browser are executed through the client. No need to be a geek to understand that.

I mean .... All is explained in the forum. You just need to read it and post something if you don't understand :geek:
dstojkov
Evaluator

Postby Zoram » 15 Nov 2014, 02:56

dstojkov wrote:
Zoram wrote:you have no web page, so noone will know about what you're trying to achieve

http://forum.gpgunleashed.net/

This is a forum for the people to post ... Why do I need a web page ?

to explain your work to people in a properly laid out way, to give people a reason to go to your forum

dstojkov wrote:In Announcement you have the last dev infos
but not only that .. I leave all instructions how to test it almost step by step
I telll you what to download and how to deal with it.

what I see is 8 pages of you talking to yourself, with no instruction either on the first nor last page. You expect people to read through the whole thing to discover what your thing is about ? Why would they do so in the first place ?

dstojkov wrote:The vaults are soon done. I just prepare the forum for the mods, maps makers so that they know where to post.
This is a platform for playing but not only. This is a place where every work can be put online and tested

and i just looks like a ghost forum with nobody on it. As I said, nobody goes into empty big restaurants.

Zoram wrote:your multi-lobby idea is self defeating

dstojkov wrote:Why self defeating ?

you can host as much as you will ... but you can also join as much as you want and this in the same time. So plan A don't work ... you still have a plan B.What is wrong with that ?
If you prefer waiting hours .. ffs host only a game no one force you to host 20 games or join 20 if you don't want. The possibility is there. All is up to you at the end

Because it makes all game setup extremely unreliable, since all your players might actually f*** off to another game. this just actually dilutes the probability of any one game ever starting. AS I said, read up on game theory: individual rational choices making it actually worse for every agent in the end, your idea is prime example. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_theory

Zoram wrote:The zip like you say is the client ... like faf is one. Browser can not launch program .. and there is a reason behind it.
The visual part is on the browser the action you made on the browser are executed through the client. No need to be a geek to understand that.

I didn't see the value of starting games from a web-browser. I don't like the idea, as is the case for many people here it seems.
The only upside I could imagine was that it's light on the user, with nothing to download.

What's the value to the user of having to use his browser to play if you have to download shit anyway.
It's neither practical nor user friendly. the point is ?
Zoram
Priest

Postby dstojkov » 15 Nov 2014, 03:27

Zoram wrote:to give people a reason to go to your forum

Well .. This is not a finished product yet ... Do you realize that ?

You have faf in a working state. Just be patient :twisted:

Zoram wrote:what I see is 8 pages of you talking to yourself, with no instruction either on the first nor last page

Well then you should think about to buy glasses :ugeek:

Zoram wrote: AS I said, read up on game theory: individual rational choices making it actually worse for every agent in the end

Well this ... this remind me the communism ideology
Remember theory is just a way to describe the reality ... how it achieve it ... this is another topic.
If Einstein would have listen what Tesla said to him ... the humanity would not have took for granted max speed is the speed of light ... and thus retard the mankind with trying applying a theory instead of learning of experience

Zoram wrote: As I said, nobody goes into empty big restaurants

:o what a no sense .... apart from launching and dinner time every restaurant is almost empty most of the time

Zoram wrote:I didn't see the value of starting games from a web-browser. I don't like the idea

Your view is really too much narrowed ... It sounds like I have to convience you ... You didn't invest any money here ... So .. there is no risk at all. So why so suspicious ?

Zoram wrote:The only upside I could imagine was that it's light on the user, with nothing to download

The client is 10 mo so yes this is light
dstojkov
Evaluator

Postby Zoram » 15 Nov 2014, 04:08

Well this ... this remind me the communism ideology
Remember theory is just a way to describe the reality ... how it achieve it ... this is another topic.
If Einstein would have listen what Tesla said to him ... the humanity would not have took for granted max speed is the speed of light ... and thus retard the mankind with trying applying a theory instead of learning of experience

The "experience" of going faster than light ? Einstein "retarding" mankind ? (or was it the humanity who "retarded" mankind ?)

Alright, I bow down to your grand wisdom, sorry it took me so long to see the sheer genius hidden behind the mumbo jumbo.
Zoram
Priest

Postby nine2 » 15 Nov 2014, 08:53

good luck with your lobby dj. i couldn't be bothered trying it either (dont want jdk) but good luck to you. ppl need to chill - dj is just one guy can't make everything world class quality ok
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic