My new laptop...

Talk about anything not related to FA or FAF here !

My new laptop...

Postby Circuit » 01 Jun 2013, 07:02

The one i play for sup com will be soon ending his life....... :(

So it is time check for a new one. For sp, what i should check first...
Circuit
Contributor

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: Circuit

Re: My new laptop...

Postby Hamstie » 01 Jun 2013, 14:30

Circuit wrote:The one i play for sup com will be soon ending his life....... :(

So it is time check for a new one. For sp, what i should check first...

Supcom needs a good CPU. Somebody asked if its a good idea to OC a laptop yesterday in chat, dont know if that was you, but dont even think about that ;) .
Hamstie

Has liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: Hamstie

Postby da_monstr » 01 Jun 2013, 14:59

I think it would be a great idea going for a Haswell ultrabook or something like that. However, the integrated GPU on the processor is still pretty bad, so AMD is better in that particular regard. Unless you want a discrete GPU, then Haswell is a no-brainer.

That would be my 2 cents on the matter.
Peace through superior firepower.
[Total Biscuit, comparing FA to SupCom2] "The scale and the sublime nature of the economy was ruined with Supreme Commander 2, which I absolutely despised. Oh god, I hate that game so very much."
da_monstr
Priest

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 20 times
FAF User Name: Mainstay

Postby Circuit » 01 Jun 2013, 16:54

any cpu model in particuliar??
Last edited by Circuit on 01 Jun 2013, 17:24, edited 2 times in total.
Circuit
Contributor

Postby Ionic » 01 Jun 2013, 17:01

You will never be competitive on a laptop, the generally small screen is usual positioned poorly as well.

You would be better off using your old laptop for laptop stuff and building a $650 desktop and getting two 24" screens.
Ionic

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times
FAF User Name: Ionic

Postby Circuit » 01 Jun 2013, 17:24

i know laptop have lesser perfomance than desktop... in my case it is a space issue. I dont have any space to put a desk one
Circuit
Contributor

Postby FireMessiah » 01 Jun 2013, 17:44

have you considered a desktop unit? they are far easier to upgrade and modify throughout a PC's life, and laptops are prone to overheating meaning games should only be played in small bursts. if your absolutely set on a laptop, consider some additional cooling options.

for CPU, id suggest anything more than an i5, with an i7 being the top choice. an i7 will also allow you to play other more newer games. (cant go wrong with i7 3770k)
GPU, probably something higher than a GTX 480, a GTX660 is a great choice for power with a lower end price.
id also go with a 120GB+ Solid State Drive, the advantages for loading huge texture files in games is massive with a SSD over a HDD. (in some games, my level loading times went from like 2mins to 10secs with a decent SSD, from a HDD)
memory, 8-16GB of whatever the maximum Mhz your cpu and mobo can support.
and Win 7 64Bit

if your wondering what areas to expand and which to save on, for supcom, spend big on CPU.

these are just my thoughts on an "up to date" gaming system, without breaking the bank balance :)
Ze_PilOt wrote:I know we live in a era when everything is done considering that the user is a total moron or retarded.
I find that insulting when a game is stating me the obvious ("press X to open the door" the 20th time I see a door).
hallelujah, amen.
FireMessiah

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 10 times
FAF User Name: FireMessiah

Postby Voodoo » 01 Jun 2013, 19:28

Circuit please tell us what you want to do with this laptop. Just for FA or do you also play other games? do you convert videos? ... and so on.
And tell us how much money you want to spend.

Without this informations, all i can say is, FireMessiah is right.
Voodoo

Has liked: 251 times
Been liked: 344 times
FAF User Name: Voodoo

Postby Veta » 01 Jun 2013, 19:58

lenovo and asus are good, i think asus has a gamer series of laptops that are pretty impressive
FA is a game of economic micromanagement (what StarCraft players mistakenly call 'macro') and tactical trumping (e.g. T2 PD countering T1 Spam).
Veta

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Circuit » 01 Jun 2013, 22:40

Voodoo wrote:Circuit please tell us what you want to do with this laptop. Just for FA or do you also play other games? do you convert videos? ... and so on.
And tell us how much money you want to spend.

I direct question deserve a direct awser :)

So i am canadian (can dollar). I looking for around 1k for spending

What i play the most is sup com and total war shogun. I looking to play too rome total war 2.

exept minor stuff, i dont do anything about hard with my laptop exept gaming. My biggest problem is to understand all the cpu thing. Back to my time, it was a little faster... just take the the gighz... Now i have to dig a little more about the cpu... you can have few more model inside a series. They are just part number now.. L1 or L2 or L3 memories, some still dual core and so on... I am little overhelming by all because i dont follow the cpu thing since 5 years

Like i said i know desktop have better advantage.... i got no room to put a desk in my appartement

P.S. i am sorry i hit the quote bar to quote myself to edit thing....
Last edited by Circuit on 01 Jun 2013, 22:47, edited 1 time in total.
Circuit
Contributor

Next

Return to Off-Topic