Computer Programming

Talk about anything not related to FA or FAF here !

Re: Computer Programming

Postby Ze_PilOt » 15 Sep 2012, 09:00

You don't want to be bothered with memory pointers, memory management in general and with a poor string support while learning some basic logic concept, common to all modern languages.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby Panchovilla » 15 Sep 2012, 21:46

Great feedback and after searching around on the Internet, I found a great site and community devoted to this sort of stuff, and they even have classes on Game Engine design...3D modeling, and other neat things. hoping to get started with some C++ classes then move into Python/Maya/Houdini and other things once I've mastered the basics and learned my first language. Wish me luck. :)
Panchovilla
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Softly » 15 Sep 2012, 21:56

Good luck!
Softly
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 251 times
FAF User Name: Softles

Postby Panchovilla » 15 Sep 2012, 22:34

Thanks for the support Dilli :)
Panchovilla
Crusader

Postby kissemisse » 17 Sep 2012, 13:10

Panchovilla wrote:Great feedback and after searching around on the Internet, I found a great site and community devoted to this sort of stuff, and they even have classes on Game Engine design...3D modeling, and other neat things.

Could you share the site you found?
kissemisse

FAF User Name: kissemisse

Postby Panchovilla » 17 Sep 2012, 21:34

kissemisse wrote:
Panchovilla wrote:Great feedback and after searching around on the Internet, I found a great site and community devoted to this sort of stuff, and they even have classes on Game Engine design...3D modeling, and other neat things.

Could you share the site you found?

Of Course, its www.3Dbuzz.com
Panchovilla
Crusader

Postby crippen » 25 Sep 2012, 16:17

I would suggest a language that is popular, cause popular languages have lots of people asking newbie friendly questions (ruby and java comes to mind, but Im a bit outdated already), and there are more forums to attend too, where you dont feel like your the only beginner. But whatever, just jump into something, although C++ might be a bit tedious at times, but your mental approach is to be the same, you need the right language/tool, for the right job. It's very easy to jump into a new language once you learned programming in general.

Whatever you choose, its about how well you manage your emotions and patience. No matter how skilled you become, you still have to meet a lot of tasks that was suppose to only take 10-15minutes, but instead takes 12 hours. Programming is easy on paper, so freaking easy, but when reality comes, things seldom go as planned. As you program, you will learn to trust that things just falls into place after all. Sometimes, a task that you dread will take 4hours, takes 10minutes. And this is where many people fall off, they make a tiny bit of code, and it works, MIRACLE, they are glad, but they are too afraid to take on new tasks, they like to sit in the comfort of their recent success, postponing new learning. Some even jump on new frameworks/languages, hoping it will be better there. Sometimes yes, but be careful that you are not too timid of your current progress and project.

I wish you luck, its a great field to explore.
crippen
Crusader

FAF User Name: crippen

Postby Raging_Squirrel » 26 Sep 2012, 18:05

Vmcsnekke wrote:You could start by enhancing the replay window of FAF. The replay
tab shows (amongst other things) this info:
http://faforever.com/faf/vault/replays_simple.php

I'm not sure but I guess this is the source:
https://bitbucket.org/thepilot/forged-a ... swidget.py

Your guess is wrong. Python has nothing to do with PHP :)
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat with experience.
Raging_Squirrel
Priest

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times
FAF User Name: Raging_Squirrel

Postby Gowerly » 26 Sep 2012, 19:04

If you want to build an application quickly, C# will help you do this.
If you want all the power and libraries in the universe, then go Python.
If you want to get into Games Development, then it's C++ or a third party engine.
Gowerly
Evaluator

FAF User Name: Gowerly

Postby IceDreamer » 27 Sep 2012, 04:07

Learning the physical part of programming, memorising the commands etc, can be learned from a tutorial, and is pretty easy really.

Learning to think as a Programmer is a long, hard path, which will take determination, time, talent, and a huge amount of frustration. If this is what you find yourself having problems with after the basics are out of the way, then I suggest looking specifically for tutorials and languages specifically designed to help develop the thought processes and the certain logic which is needed to be a Programmer.
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Previous

Return to Off-Topic