Freedom and Society

Talk about anything not related to FA or FAF here !

Re: Freedom and Society

Postby Casimus » 24 Sep 2012, 17:46

Load of tosh, you discuss "freedom of speech" then you want to restrict it??

Utter left wing nonsense.
Casimus
Banned

Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 23 times
FAF User Name: SN_CASIMITSU

Postby Myrdral » 25 Sep 2012, 19:18

Casimus wrote:Load of tosh, you discuss "freedom of speech" then you want to restrict it??

Not sure to what this refers.
Myrdral

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Myrdral

Postby rootbeer23 » 26 Sep 2012, 00:37

Myrdral wrote:
Casimus wrote:Load of tosh, you discuss "freedom of speech" then you want to restrict it??

freedom of speech does not mean you can say anything you want.
it means you can criticize the king without being fed to the lions. it does not mean you can insult people.
rootbeer23
Supreme Commander

Been liked: 31 times
FAF User Name: root2342

Postby Myrdral » 26 Sep 2012, 05:25

I guess my point in making this topic was not clear. I meant to say, sure you can do and say what you wish. However, society creates rules(written or not) so that people may coexist without murdering each other =P. We are playing a war game though so its a weird combination of violence and being nice. Or at least it should be. Refer to the moderator actions thread to see that the people being banned are really working hard at it. Recent moderation is very good.
Myrdral

Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Myrdral

Postby Casimus » 30 Sep 2012, 23:10

rootbeer23 wrote:
Myrdral wrote:

freedom of speech does not mean you can say anything you want.
it means you can criticize the king without being fed to the lions. it does not mean you can insult people.
It means you can say anything political or not as long as it doesn't offend those in power ie freedom of speech doesn't exist.

I hate the term and always have, we have seen many in power who control the masses, Democracy doesn't really exist, what exists is a vote to appease the masses, which has no bearing on real political issues.

There is a very interesting documentary called "The Shock Doctrine" I think this would be interesting to anyone who has an interest in this subject.
Casimus
Banned

Postby Casimus » 30 Sep 2012, 23:16

Myrdral wrote:I guess my point in making this topic was not clear. I meant to say, sure you can do and say what you wish. However, society creates rules(written or not) so that people may coexist without murdering each other =P. We are playing a war game though so its a weird combination of violence and being nice. Or at least it should be. Refer to the moderator actions thread to see that the people being banned are really working hard at it. Recent moderation is very good.
Ok that's more like it.

What bothers me is that people band the word "freedom" around when really it doesn't exist.

Going even deeper one could argue that free will does not exist, not that I want a religious debate but do you make your decisions or your brain?? Do you exist other than the ball of mass (not to be reclaimed) that walks around and talks or is there something else that controls your actions??

We ARE controlled at every level of our existence in real life and on FAF accepting that is the only way to retain sanity in this world.
Casimus
Banned

Postby rootbeer23 » 01 Oct 2012, 00:22

Casimus wrote:It means you can say anything political or not as long as it doesn't offend those in power ie freedom of speech doesn't exist.

I hate the term and always have, we have seen many in power who control the masses, Democracy doesn't really exist, what exists is a vote to appease the masses, which has no bearing on real political issues.

What is the name of the planet you are living on?
The most radical my little brain can think of at the moment would be Karl Marx + Friedrich Engels. Not only are they proposing to disown the rich, they are also suggesting to abolish the state, so most of the powerful people are covered. See if you can get books written by them from your local library.
rootbeer23
Supreme Commander

Postby uberge3k » 01 Oct 2012, 01:04

Casimus wrote:Going even deeper one could argue that free will does not exist, not that I want a religious debate but do you make your decisions or your brain?? Do you exist other than the ball of mass (not to be reclaimed) that walks around and talks or is there something else that controls your actions??

http://www.onintelligence.org/ :ugeek:
Ze_PilOt wrote:If you want something to happen, do it yourself.
uberge3k
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 48 times
FAF User Name: TAG_UBER

Postby Casimus » 01 Oct 2012, 10:11

rootbeer23 wrote:
Casimus wrote:It means you can say anything political or not as long as it doesn't offend those in power ie freedom of speech doesn't exist.

What is the name of the planet you are living on?
The most radical my little brain can think of at the moment would be Karl Marx + Friedrich Engels. Not only are they proposing to disown the rich, they are also suggesting to abolish the state, so most of the powerful people are covered. See if you can get books written by them from your local library.
So you got that im into Marxism from that?? I'm not stating my own political views I am stating what I know to be true of our existence.

Would I like real democracy, hell yeah. Would I like to believe that free will really exists, of course.

Some facts for you from my humble country,

Issue 1 -The super rich pay less tax than the working class.
Issue 2 -The debt that this country is in is being payed for by the working class, no one else.
Issue 2 - The bankers continue to take massive bonuses despite their part in creating this financial crisis.
Issue 4 - Education is becoming so expensive that only the rich will be able to fully educate their children.

What you need to know is that these things have come about from lies, for example:

Government A promises to tackle issues 1-4 and present an agenda that is attractive to the people, so the people vote (its a democracy right?) then guess what none of the above is dealt with and a brand new doctrine emerges.

So IMHO Democracy is a lie.

As for free will or freedom of choice, see Uber's link if your brain is making your decisions for you then you are not truly free are you?

You like many are sheep, feeding on the lies from those in power.
Casimus
Banned

Postby rootbeer23 » 01 Oct 2012, 17:56

Casimus wrote:So you got that im into Marxism from that?? I'm not stating my own political views I am stating what I know to be true of our existence.

i was merely poiting out an example of free speech.

Casimus wrote:Would I like real democracy, hell yeah. Would I like to believe that free will really exists, of course.

Some facts for you from my humble country,

Issue 1 -The super rich pay less tax than the working class.
Issue 2 -The debt that this country is in is being payed for by the working class, no one else.
Issue 2 - The bankers continue to take massive bonuses despite their part in creating this financial crisis.
Issue 4 - Education is becoming so expensive that only the rich will be able to fully educate their children.

What you need to know is that these things have come about from lies, for example:

Government A promises to tackle issues 1-4 and present an agenda that is attractive to the people, so the people vote (its a democracy right?) then guess what none of the above is dealt with and a brand new doctrine emerges.

So IMHO Democracy is a lie.

You are exactly right. I hope you are at least voting for the less of the 2 evils.
and look on the bright side:
1) they dont come to your house murdering you.
2) they build public roads.
3) it will be over in maybe a hundred years or so.

Casimus wrote:As for free will or freedom of choice, see Uber's link if your brain is making your decisions for you then you are not truly free are you?

well, if there is no free will then apparently none is needed to be alive. i am fine with that.

Casimus wrote:You like many are sheep, feeding on the lies from those in power.

i am not a government employee.
rootbeer23
Supreme Commander

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic