Woodcraft Mantis

Talk about anything not related to FA or FAF here !

Woodcraft Mantis

Postby Lingon » 15 Oct 2019, 22:56

Hello forum dwellers. :)

I wanted to share this insane piece of craftsmanship that my girlfriend surprised me with for my birthday earlier this summer. My jaw nearly hit the floor when I saw what she had done!

11.jpg
11.jpg (4.03 MiB) Viewed 6495 times

She is very creative with, apparently, everything she tries out. I met her as a digital 2D artist several years ago, but she keeps on surprising me to this day!

This is what she wrote about it:

I downloaded the model from some Russian website, fixed it up a bit in in Maya, ran it through Pepakura Designer to unfold it before I printed out the plans.
Then I transferred the plans onto a sheet of balsa wood and cut it with just an exacto knife and assembled it with universal glue. I carved the details into the wood again with the exact knife.
I tried using magnets as joints but in the end it didn't turn out as I imagined it would. It's quite "fragile". The Mantis legs are completely mobile, but due to the magnets can easily come off if you bump it.
The Mantis is painted with with tempera paints.

As for the base, it is simply a piece of cardboard (The Cybran plating included) which I have glued some sand from a local beach and some small rocks, supposed to resemble ingame reclaimable boulders to give it that desert map & Cybran feel.

I was working on it for about two months or so. It took quite a long time due to me not knowing what was doing at that point, and being busy with university.

I have a bunch of more photos, but this forum seems a bit paranoid of spam so it blocks off-site links for me. I've just not had a reason to visit this before, so I am limited to just this one for now. :!:

Edit: More images:
Lingon

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 20 times
FAF User Name: Lingon

Re: Woodcraft Mantis

Postby nine2 » 18 Oct 2019, 04:25

i really like it. if you pm me the link to more photos, i will add it to your post for you
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby Uveso » 18 Oct 2019, 21:42

Marry her! :mrgreen:

Awesome work!
Uveso
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 291 times
FAF User Name: Uveso

Postby MrTBSC » 19 Oct 2019, 02:14

Lingon wrote:Hello forum dwellers. :)

I wanted to share this insane piece of craftsmanship that my girlfriend surprised me with for my birthday earlier this summer. My jaw nearly hit the floor when I saw what she had done!

11.jpg

She is very creative with, apparently, everything she tries out. I met her as a digital 2D artist several years ago, but she keeps on surprising me to this day!

This is what she wrote about it:

I downloaded the model from some Russian website, fixed it up a bit in in Maya, ran it through Pepakura Designer to unfold it before I printed out the plans.
Then I transferred the plans onto a sheet of balsa wood and cut it with just an exacto knife and assembled it with universal glue. I carved the details into the wood again with the exact knife.
I tried using magnets as joints but in the end it didn't turn out as I imagined it would. It's quite "fragile". The Mantis legs are completely mobile, but due to the magnets can easily come off if you bump it.
The Mantis is painted with with tempera paints.

As for the base, it is simply a piece of cardboard (The Cybran plating included) which I have glued some sand from a local beach and some small rocks, supposed to resemble ingame reclaimable boulders to give it that desert map & Cybran feel.

I was working on it for about two months or so. It took quite a long time due to me not knowing what was doing at that point, and being busy with university.

I have a bunch of more photos, but this forum seems a bit paranoid of spam so it blocks off-site links for me. I've just not had a reason to visit this before, so I am limited to just this one for now. :!:

all respect to that girlfriend of yours .. cherish and relish the beautiful work she has done for you :)

..... aight ... what are you gonna offer her in return :P ...
MrTBSC

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 7 times
FAF User Name: Mr.TBSC

Postby Lingon » 20 Oct 2019, 22:52

Thanks for all the kind words from us both. :)

MrTBSC wrote:..... aight ... what are you gonna offer her in return :P ...

She has basically (tried, hah!) to forbid me from spoiling her with any more gifts after things like high end gaming peripherals, helping to pay for her trips to visit me and so on. We live on either side of the European continent, we had a long distance relation for about 5-6 years by now, and typically see one another every six months, so that is often all we ask for. :)
Lingon

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 20 times
FAF User Name: Lingon

Postby nine2 » 26 Oct 2019, 13:46

Added more images to the opening post
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine