Playing Online matches as an Aussie is out of the question

Talk about anything not related to FA or FAF here !

Playing Online matches as an Aussie is out of the question

Postby harry5518 » 06 Aug 2019, 00:49

been a while since i played FAF online and 90% of the matches the game lags to the point where it's unplayable. While i have tolerable ping to America and the UK the enormous russian player always complains and moans about aussie players lagging the game when i've always noticed russians causing lag issues in other games. i get either kicked or asked to leave 50% of the matches i play to the point where i almost give up playing FAF online which is a shame, but the playerbase down in the southern hemisphere isn't large enough to justify hosting local only games.

The game is supposed to not have an issue with ping under 500 which is what 99% of the ping i have to players is, but there is alot of the time packet loss or whatever issue is causing stuttering and lag.
harry5518
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: Harry5518

Re: Playing Online matches as an Aussie is out of the questi

Postby Geosearchef » 06 Aug 2019, 09:44

Take a look at the ice adapter debug window and tell us if you get a relay connection or a direct one (srflx/prflx/host). You need to make sure you're not behind a carrier grade NAT (a lot of australians are and succeeded by calling their ISP), otherwise you will be relayed via europe.
Developer, Server Admin, ICE, currently working on Team Matchmaking, FAF Client
Geosearchef
Contributor

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 127 times
FAF User Name: Geosearchef

Postby Louvegarde » 06 Aug 2019, 10:03

Kicking people on flag is a real issue though. I advocated for that we allow people to change their flags some time ago, but it was deemed unnecessary. If you know other players with the same issues, group up and complaint to the Player Councilor. If it gets through, actually implementing flag change on FAF is not that complicated.

Regarding the connection issues themselves though, we can't do much more than what we currently have. There is not enough australians player to host local matches only, so it gets laggy with people from the northern hemisphere. Unless we get more australians playing FAF, I dont know if that issue will ever be solved.
Cryogenic slumber party!
Louvegarde
Priest

Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 103 times
FAF User Name: Louvegarde

Postby harry5518 » 06 Aug 2019, 13:57

Geosearchef wrote:Take a look at the ice adapter debug window and tell us if you get a relay connection or a direct one (srflx/prflx/host). You need to make sure you're not behind a carrier grade NAT (a lot of australians are and succeeded by calling their ISP), otherwise you will be relayed via europe.

how do i do this? and most of the time i have a connection to the other players as direct.
harry5518
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: Harry5518

Postby mirddes » 04 Aug 2020, 05:30

Its definitely gotten better
mirddes
Banned

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 0 time