FAF's Nomads vs. PA:T/Legion expansoin. Who Would Win?

Talk about anything not related to FA or FAF here !

FAF's Nomads vs. PA:T/Legion expansoin. Who Would Win?

Postby ympale » 17 Feb 2017, 22:18

Now that the Nomads mod is working again, I'm wondering...

FA Forever community did pretty good job with the mod faction of Nomads. However, PA's community has also done nice work on the Legion faction expansion mod.

So, which faction would, in the standard, all-out fight, win? How would the fight look like? What would the open, glorious TA-inspired galactic war (with scenario of other factions not being present in the warring galaxy)?
ympale

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: ympale

Re: FAF's Nomads vs. PA:T/Legion expansoin. Who Would Win?

Postby Zeldafanboy » 17 Feb 2017, 23:11

In-universe, the Legion would shred pretty much any SupCom faction because they have Orbital. I'm aware that the Nomads have a support satellite but it seems to only be a space to ground weapons platform.

If we're comparing game values (HP, DPS, etc.) Then the Legion would likely lose as Supcom units tend to have longer range, health, and damage than PA:T units, which are cheaper and faster and more spammable.

Of course, one could just build a Helios and drop Manhattans through it to snipe.
Symbiont solidarity. All UEF Are Bastards.
Zeldafanboy

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 13 times
FAF User Name: Zeldafanboy

Postby ympale » 18 Feb 2017, 14:20

Zeldafanboy wrote:In-universe, the Legion would shred pretty much any SupCom faction because they have Orbital.

Huh, I expected that the first reply would say that SupCom's tech would win, color me surprised.

Would orbital really make such a difference, especially since "T1" (from PA perspective) orbital would probably come into play at the SupCom's T2 phase, coupled with the fact that both MLA's and Legion's orbital-to-surface stuff is all in the PA's T2, I expect that orbital's role could be of little relevancy (intel, maybe transport?) until later T3.

Actually, I think I'm going to simulate not too much different scenario with AIs, each with different factions, say, Nomads and Seraphim, with the Nomads having all their air restricted, and the Seraphim having only their scout planes, spy planes, T2 transports, strat bombers, and Ahwassas allowed air-wise.

Zeldafanboy wrote:If we're comparing game values...

Actually, I don't think that these could be comparable criteria...

Zeldafanboy wrote:Of course, one could just build a Helios and drop Manhattans through it to snipe.

Actually, Legion would have neither. The closest thing to this would be Necromancer spam pushed through Comet, or Tyr.
ympale

Postby Exotic_Retard » 18 Feb 2017, 14:46

having written a bunch of the background for the nomads, those guys do have orbital, and lots of it.

the tiny command ship you start with just drops off your acu and can be upgraded to be armed with missiles and the like, next theres the t3 artillery which is a satellite bombardment thing.

all aircraft for the nomads are officially spacecraft too.

outside of the playable game, the nomads know space combat very well and have several large fleets, since they do live in space.

the vanilla factions also do space. we know this for example because procyon was glassed when a uef commander got bored of fighting vs guerilla warfare and just nuked the whole thing. the thing is that teleporting is so much more efficient there's no point in going into orbit in the first place, but it does happen, we see a spaceships in the opening cutscenes of fa and the vanilla trailer, indeed the large quantum gateways are all in space.

i dont know about this pa thing so cant make judgements who would win but i would say if the pa boys use space travel to move around from system to system fa factions would win on mobility. also black sun can blow up 10 planets at once so thats not so bad either.

regardless, both of these universes throw the concept of reality out of the window, starting with the existence of ftl so im not sure it really matters xD
Exotic_Retard
Contributor

Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 626 times
FAF User Name: Exotic_Retard

Postby ympale » 20 Feb 2017, 20:22

Exotic_Retard wrote:having written a bunch of the background for the nomads
, those guys do have orbital, and lots of it.

Whoa! Actually, I've been looking for a comprehensive lore on Nomads or their story, maybe even a fanfic...

Exotic_Retard wrote:the tiny command ship you start with just drops off your acu and can be upgraded to be armed with missiles and the like, next theres the t3 artillery which is a satellite bombardment thing.

Outside of the actual gameplay, how should the command ship and T3 arty satellites interact with the Novax, for example? In that regard, how does Nomad SCU's work, I mean, are they manned, since unlike other factions, the pilot cannot be gated in.

Exotic_Retard wrote:all aircraft for the nomads are officially spacecraft too.

OK, this detail in particular, if it was to reflect in gameplay where orbital exists, would be somewhat imbalanced. Unless there was a limitation in the fact that the aircraft couldn't actually on it's own achieve escape velocity on most planets (which would also explain the gameplay).

Exotic_Retard wrote:outside of the playable game, the nomads know space combat very well and have several large fleets, since they do live in space.

the vanilla factions also do space. we know this for example because procyon was glassed when a uef commander got bored of fighting vs guerilla warfare and just nuked the whole thing. the thing is that teleporting is so much more efficient there's no point in going into orbit in the first place, but it does happen, we see a spaceships in the opening cutscenes of fa and the vanilla trailer, indeed the large quantum gateways are all in space.

I also though that vanilla has orbital/space, however, it isn't featured in the game because in-universe, it would simply be highly impractical. We know that the civilian buildings can't be built in the normal game, and in the campaign, the ACU needs schematics which justifies unlocking of new units.

Exotic_Retard wrote:i dont know about this pa thing so cant make judgements who would win but i would say if the pa boys use space travel to move around from system to system fa factions would win on mobility. also black sun can blow up 10 planets at once so thats not so bad either.

Simply put, PA, at least the vanilla faction (MLA) lacks quantum gates and related tech. They do have teleporter gates, but they are interplanetary, working in the scope of solar systems. The Commander is brought in a module, and in the galactic war, warp is mentioned, so, I think that yes, they would lose on mobility speed-wise, but they aren't tied to the quantum gate network unlike the SupCom factions.

Black Sun is pretty much useless without quantum network, and PA has these numerous anihillaser planets, which work like toned down Black Suns limited to the solar system.

However, there is a mod with the remotely SupCom-like gate-in effect, so, the Legion, since it is supposed to be the technologically superior faction compared to the spammier, more mobile vanilla MLA, might actually have quantum gates...

Exotic_Retard wrote:regardless, both of these universes throw the concept of reality out of the window, starting with the existence of ftl so im not sure it really matters xD

I'd say they are just really advanced :P
ympale

Return to Off-Topic