FAF 2 - the sequel of your dreams

Talk about anything not related to FA or FAF here !

Re: FAF 2 - the sequel of your dreams

Postby AdmiralZeech » 12 Aug 2016, 14:12

Hawkei wrote:Well the HQ system works perfectly until the HQ gets sniped. As most players prefer to save resources and often don't have inbuilt redundancy to deal with this scenario. The problem exists when I have already upgraded all the available factories down the support factory path and they are incapable of upgrading into a HQ. So it is required to build an engineer (if I don't have one), build a T1 factory, and then take right through the HQ upgrades. What I'd like to do instead is have the option to select the nearest support factory, and tell it to upgrade into it's HQ equivalent.

The penalty in game for loosing a HQ is very high. Such that I am often tempted to have a T3 HQ in addition to the T3 HQ. Simply so that I can recover from the HQ snipe faster.

As for the Build Power upgrade concept. With T2B2, T3B2, and T3B3 factories. The idea is simply to internalise the assisting engineers within the factory as a single unit. Disadvantage is that you are still paying for the Tech every time you build a factory - and this is necessary because every factory is self contained for tech access. But with the BP upgrades it would work out to be mass effective. As every T3B3 factory would be equivalent to having a T3 HQ and 30 T1 engineers assisting it. Saving unit camp, and making games easier on computer resources. Not to mention providing powerful adjacency bonuses as well.

You think of it as a negative, but I think that's the beauty of the HQ system - it should be painful to lose your HQ, and it should be tempting to have a backup in place. Having difficult choices like this is a good thing.

As for builtin engineers, an old idea I had was the ability to "dock" engineers into factories, just like planes can dock into carriers. The engineer assists the factory it's docked into, but also takes some damage if the factory is attacked.

Rather than build power being built into the factory, a modular system like this means to can adjust your buildpower between factories if required.
AdmiralZeech
Priest

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 62 times

Postby Armed_&_Overclocked » 12 Aug 2016, 18:39

Personally for me i think FAF is mostly fine the way it is.

If it were me some of the items i would focus on are.
A. optimization for higher end hardware such as multi threaded performance and SLI support.
B. A graphical update that allows you to have a beautiful game on the highest settings, but a playable and visually decent looking game on the lower settings.
C. Some new experimental obviously.
D. An upgrade system apart from the tech system. Where you spend resources researching "upgrades" that add to existing units. Similar to sup com 2, but there would still be a tiered tech system.
E. Mercenaries- Some maps would have Mercs you could hire. They would have a combination of unique units that aren't available from any of the factions; while also having standard faction units that have been "enhanced".
F. Transports that are more intuitive and don't take forever to load.

That's about all i can think of at this moment.
Armed_&_Overclocked

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Thunderpup

Postby Exotic_Retard » 12 Aug 2016, 19:43

what balance related thread would be complete without some terrorism?

eh, you knew this was coming anyway <3

http://equilibrium.x10host.com/changelog/

what would we do differently from what im doing now?

-well, first there would be even more testing,
-then we would start implementing things that fix buggy stuff like intel blips
-pathfinding would be improved, which would actually need a serious rebalance of units
-even more tech level compression (check out range rework branch on our github)
-most units would get some unique feature and whatnot, so each one really is different
-perfect english.

tldr - what we are doing now, but more

enjoy, we know you want it <3
Exotic_Retard
Contributor

Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 626 times
FAF User Name: Exotic_Retard

Postby zeroAPM » 12 Aug 2016, 21:43

It may be a completely different game at this point but w/e:

Warzone 2100 on steroids meets FAF.
You have a large list of components and you slap them together to create a unit, much more in-depth than Warzone though. Engines, chassis, additional armor, locomotion systems, weapons, additional components like radar or stealth, AIs thatcan be programmed via a simple to understand graphical environment and command and communication modules to have higher tier AI module equipped units lead a bunch of dumb slave units.
More and better stuff leads to higher costs, possibly locking the unit to t2, 3 or even exp status.

You also have a limited amount of unit slots (similar to FAF) so you can't slap every kind of unit and the kitchen sink on your "unit deck"
Once in combat units cannot be altered so remember to not overspecialize.

But it will never happen.
zeroAPM
Priest

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 52 times
FAF User Name: Impressingbutton

Postby AdmiralZeech » 13 Aug 2016, 06:15

Exotic_Retard wrote:what balance related thread would be complete without some terrorism?

tldr - what we are doing now, but more

enjoy, we know you want it <3

Will the Billy not exploding bug be fixed soon? :)
AdmiralZeech
Priest

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 62 times

Postby Hawkei » 13 Aug 2016, 08:02

Exotic_Retard wrote:what balance related thread would be complete without some terrorism?

You mean like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yJCNNwHUOE
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 182 times
FAF User Name: Firewall

Postby Masyaka » 14 Aug 2016, 08:21

Make game use all the cores instead of one, would help poor people with i9 processors or super-poor poop
Masyaka
Priest

Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 5 times
FAF User Name: Rok-Weiler

Postby Exotic_Retard » 22 Aug 2016, 12:29

AdmiralZeech wrote:Will the Billy not exploding bug be fixed soon? :)
https://github.com/Ithilis/Equilibrium/commit/3020609b6e45a50aaa859864f83df2eb29025837

fixed (equilibrium) in equilibirum : )
sorry for the slow response, i got black from holiday this morning so yeah

as always, if you have any more thoughts/suggestions/complaints/rage we would be happy to discuss them with you < 3
Exotic_Retard
Contributor

Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 626 times
FAF User Name: Exotic_Retard

Postby Lieutenant Lich » 22 Sep 2016, 00:26

I always get a 2nd HQ just for backup whenever I save up enough resources. Engy mod does not need fixing, although it would be convenient to allow support factories to upgrade into HQs at the cost of HQ - Support fac.
Don't complain about that which you aren't willing to change.

My mod:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=12864
Lieutenant Lich
Evaluator

Has liked: 992 times
Been liked: 818 times

Postby vongratz » 22 Sep 2016, 11:20

Not new units only for fun....... BUT We can have packs with special units for Naval war,an Overlord pack,based in a improved Asdrubalvect landing one way individual boats , an armoured pack for huge tank battles etc Let our imagination fly
vongratz

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 9 times

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic