real off-topic and off-world

Talk about anything not related to FA or FAF here !

real off-topic and off-world

Postby Masyaka » 05 Aug 2016, 20:29

just write here whatever you want.
Masyaka
Priest

Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 5 times
FAF User Name: Rok-Weiler

Re: real off-topic and off-world

Postby Nepty » 05 Aug 2016, 20:44

I find it odd after 30+ years the 'Battle of Endor' is still the best space battle in movie history:

The Serenity battle was pretty cool too. I'm sure I watched that scene over 40 times. Never gets old:
Original join Date: August 21, 2012 | Original FAF account: Cybrankiller | Highest skill rating: 1780
Favorite map: Vale of Isis | Favorite faction: UEF | Favorite opponent: Anaryl | Favorite pro: Chosen
Nepty

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 56 times
FAF User Name: Sapphire

Postby D4E_Omit » 05 Aug 2016, 21:07

The most tension ive felt in space battles is from Battlestar Galactica. By far. Very, very far.
Sometimes, I just feel like I want to eat pancakes.
D4E_Omit

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 21 times
FAF User Name: D4E_Omit

Postby Gorton » 05 Aug 2016, 21:16

I'm getting my men.

*SLAM*
"who is this guy, he didnt play gpg or what?" - RA_ZLO

*FAF Moderator*
Gorton
Councillor - Moderation

Has liked: 1067 times
Been liked: 455 times
FAF User Name: Gorton

Postby Hawkei » 05 Aug 2016, 21:17

Nah, I think that Babyon 5 had some of the best Battle sequences. For one thing, they actually tried simulate the physics of a zero gravity and zero atmosphere environment. Star Wars has this annoying tendency to model space fighters as though they were flying in an atmosphere.

Last edited by Hawkei on 05 Aug 2016, 21:22, edited 1 time in total.
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 182 times
FAF User Name: Firewall

Postby Gorton » 05 Aug 2016, 21:19

Hawkei wrote:Nah, I think that Babyon 5 had some of the best Battle sequences. For one thing, they actually tried simulate the physics of a zero gravity and zero atmosphere environment. Star Wars has this annoying tendency to model space fighters as though they were flying in an atmosphere.

Take a look at BSG fighters.

*FAF Moderator*
Gorton
Councillor - Moderation

Postby Nepty » 05 Aug 2016, 21:52

Yes yes yes. I'm going to watch all of BSG. I never had time to get into it, I have time now :D

Babylon 5 is my favorite sci-fi of all time. Starfuries fighters use excellent physics and micro thrusters to preform like a 'real' space fighter. Severed Dreams, no surrender no retreat, and Endgame are my favorite episodes. The End game episode had me scared near the end. The Global Orbital Defense (GOD) particle beams could destroy 40% of the Earth's surface. The final satellite could have destroyed half the United States in a single shot! (Correction: most of the Eastern seaboard everything from Florida to Maine).

Of course the end of season 5 made many grown people cry... I couldn't hold it back, I tried too.
Last edited by Nepty on 05 Aug 2016, 22:24, edited 1 time in total.
Original join Date: August 21, 2012 | Original FAF account: Cybrankiller | Highest skill rating: 1780
Favorite map: Vale of Isis | Favorite faction: UEF | Favorite opponent: Anaryl | Favorite pro: Chosen
Nepty

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 56 times
FAF User Name: Sapphire

Postby Blackheart » 05 Aug 2016, 21:53

Go to gym
Blackheart
Priest

Has liked: 294 times
Been liked: 299 times
FAF User Name: various

Postby Hawkei » 05 Aug 2016, 21:54

BSG fighters do look nice, and the battle scenes I saw did have some real space physics. The differences I can see is that the fighter doctrines are essentially different. The BSG Viper has a forward firing gun combined with centrally located engines. It is capable of high forward thrust, but much less capable of the high turn rates which the BF5 Starfury is capable of. the Starfury can turn to face any direction above, below, left, right, or behind, within one second (according to BF5 lore).

The BSG fighter would be best suited for high speed orbital type strafing runs. But when it comes to turning to face the target, and firing quickly the Starfury, with it's off axis mounted engines, is able to generate superior torque and turn it's guns to where it needs to be facing much faster. The Starfury operates much more like a floating space turret.

Also... Ender's Game had pretty good visuals. I'm really surprised that no one tried to turn Ender's Game into an actual RTS game. Because that would be cool :)
Last edited by Hawkei on 05 Aug 2016, 22:30, edited 1 time in total.
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 182 times
FAF User Name: Firewall

Postby Gorton » 05 Aug 2016, 22:00

The fighters is bsg just rotate themselves with small thrusters and immediately fire the main engines in the direction they want to go, turning literally in their own space. I would think that's a given for any "real" space ship...

Dunno what you mean by centrally mounted engines btw

*FAF Moderator*
Gorton
Councillor - Moderation

Next

Return to Off-Topic