real off-topic and off-world

Talk about anything not related to FA or FAF here !

Re: real off-topic and off-world

Postby AdmiralZeech » 12 Aug 2016, 05:32

On the subject of TV space battles, just wanted to mention some anime: Legend of the Galactic Heroes, and Starship Operators.

The first one (a very old anime, but a classic) is a long series full of political intrigue and large scale space fleet battles. I really love this kind of stuff, detailed depictions of strategies and tactics, pitting commander against commander, etc.

The second is a really interesting take on space ship to ship combat (and then throw in a bunch of teenage girls.... ). Rather than using aircraft or naval as a basis, instead this show embraces the idea that space ships can use innovative and unknown technologies and tactics. It becomes a cat and mouse game, "Enemy ship detected! What kind of weapon do they have? How will they attack?"

I mention anime because I don't think these sorts of tropes appear in english-language film/TV very much. English-language media seems to be more action oriented, with amazing feats from a single heroic pilot or captain winning the day, where the fleet is just a backdrop pew-pewing each other uselessly.

Asian fiction & myths historically have a lot more "tactician heroes", which might be why you can get away with anime where a large part of the show is diagrams explaining why Admiral X was incredibly brilliant and did this incredibly innovative formation that totally caught the enemy offguard etc etc.
AdmiralZeech
Priest

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 62 times

Postby Nepty » 28 Aug 2016, 22:12

I don't like Reebok anymore. I'm never buying their shoes again. Guess why. Just look below.

Original join Date: August 21, 2012 | Original FAF account: Cybrankiller | Highest skill rating: 1780
Favorite map: Vale of Isis | Favorite faction: UEF | Favorite opponent: Anaryl | Favorite pro: Chosen
Nepty

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 56 times
FAF User Name: Sapphire

Postby NapSpan » 29 Aug 2016, 02:15

Nepty wrote:I don't like Reebok anymore. I'm never buying their shoes again. Guess why. Just look below.

I told it somewhere, they are everywhere, pls nerf.
We have "Continentals" so moving shit around must be important.
NapSpan

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 61 times
FAF User Name: NapSpan

Postby Hawkei » 29 Aug 2016, 06:22

AdmiralZeech wrote:I mention anime because I don't think these sorts of tropes appear in english-language film/TV very much. English-language media seems to be more action oriented, with amazing feats from a single heroic pilot or captain winning the day, where the fleet is just a backdrop pew-pewing each other uselessly.

Asian fiction & myths historically have a lot more "tactician heroes", which might be why you can get away with anime where a large part of the show is diagrams explaining why Admiral X was incredibly brilliant and did this incredibly innovative formation that totally caught the enemy offguard etc etc.

That would be because the western ideal of a "hero" includes some measure of self-sacrifice. While western film does have the masterful tactician as a trope. Who can sway the final outcomes with their brilliance. Western film tends to glamorise the achieving of one's ends, for the greater good, through personal sacrifice.
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 182 times
FAF User Name: Firewall

Postby Spearhead » 29 Aug 2016, 12:13

TheKoopa wrote:Just play Space Engineers )

All Space engineers like games show what SE should've really been like (Empyrion galactic survival, planet nomads, etc..) they arent exactly space engis but they definitly what it shouldve been like if the devs wouldnt focus on graphics which is what mostly ruins the game because no one i know can run SE in a planet with more than 50 fps
Spearhead

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Spearhead1

Postby TheKoopa » 31 Aug 2016, 18:01

Well give them a break, they are only in the beta phase which is mostly bug squashing. Besides the fact I have a $100 gpu and run the game at a nice 60 fps (ofc it gets nice and hot so after a while I have to stop..)
Feather: I am usually pretty good in judging people's abilities, intelligence and motives

Evildrew: Just because I didnt choose you for my team last year doesnt give you the right to be all bitchy and negative about my proposal
TheKoopa
Contributor

Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Gently-

Previous

Return to Off-Topic