real off-topic and off-world

Talk about anything not related to FA or FAF here !

Re: real off-topic and off-world

Postby Hawkei » 05 Aug 2016, 22:50

Gorton wrote:The fighters is bsg just rotate themselves with small thrusters and immediately fire the main engines in the direction they want to go, turning literally in their own space. I would think that's a given for any "real" space ship...

Dunno what you mean by centrally mounted engines btw

The Viper engines (or thrusters if you prefer that term) are those three primary thrusters located to the rear of the ship. Because the distance between them is small they cannot easily be used for attitude control. So some other auxiliary steering thrusters, or a gyro system would be required. With the BF5 Starfury the main engines are spaced apart on nacelles in an X shaped configuration. Meaning that attitude control can be achieved by thrust vectoring the main engines.

The Viper concept does work; but only when, "the direction you want to go", is also the direction you want to be firing.
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 182 times
FAF User Name: Firewall

Postby Gorton » 05 Aug 2016, 23:00

Hawkei, space.
It's space.
Think about that for a second, and realise that there is nothing stopping you from firing an engine sideways (even a tiny one) to turn , as there is no medium.
There's no real need for a turning engine.

Secondly, iirc starfuries also fire forwards. Not sure where you're going with that.
"who is this guy, he didnt play gpg or what?" - RA_ZLO

*FAF Moderator*
Gorton
Councillor - Moderation

Has liked: 1067 times
Been liked: 455 times
FAF User Name: Gorton

Postby Nepty » 06 Aug 2016, 00:06

Gorton wrote:Hawkei, space.
It's space.
Think about that for a second, and realise that there is nothing stopping you from firing an engine sideways (even a tiny one) to turn , as there is no medium.
There's no real need for a turning engine.

Secondly, iirc starfuries also fire forwards. Not sure where you're going with that.

Okay okay I'll explain.
Starfury can do insane maneuvers:

IE: it can immediately 180 turn and kill the target that was chasing it. A 180 turn without leaving position or current moving direction.

A starfury also evaded a pursuing target by just moving straight upwards and letting the target pass under it. It was an instant upward move without changing its facing.

One of the best fighters in sci-fi history.
Original join Date: August 21, 2012 | Original FAF account: Cybrankiller | Highest skill rating: 1780
Favorite map: Vale of Isis | Favorite faction: UEF | Favorite opponent: Anaryl | Favorite pro: Chosen
Nepty

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 56 times
FAF User Name: Sapphire

Postby Gorton » 06 Aug 2016, 00:48

That's exactly what the viper does, and what any ship can do given it has side thrusters (or more accurately, thrusters spaced around the hull, to allow turning in many directions).
Hence, moveable engines are pointless. If babylon 5 is showing you that those moving engines at the back are somehow causing them to do 180 flips (It's been far too long, I don't remember) it's bollocks :D

*FAF Moderator*
Gorton
Councillor - Moderation

Postby Nepty » 06 Aug 2016, 00:58

Cool cool. I can't wait to see how 40 vipers go against 6000 cylon raiders and a base star. I'm starting BSG tonight :)
Nepty

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 56 times
FAF User Name: Sapphire

Postby Hawkei » 06 Aug 2016, 06:37

Actually the engines on a Starfury don't move. Because they are mounted on pylons away from the centre of mass this means that (for example) activating the pro-grade thrusters on the ports side along with the retro-grade thrusters on the starboard side would cause the craft to spin.

One problem which I see with the Viper concept is that it has no retro-grade thrusters, and is using RCS thrusters to turn. This creates two problems, the first being (theoretically) a slower rate of turn. The second problem would be the need to turn completely about and use main thrusters for retrograde thrust. Something which almost every space franchise (including Star Wars) has never picked up on. The problem is seen in a lot of the battles where Viper pilots die - simply because they are closing too fast with their opponent, but can't slow down without breaking off their attack... and Viper pilots seem to have this suicidal tendency to shoot at stuff even though it means running into things ;)

The Starfury

The Viper
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

Location: A rather obscure planet in a small cluster of stars on the outer edge of the Milky Way Galaxy

Postby Masyaka » 06 Aug 2016, 08:19

Nepty wrote:
IE: it can immediately 180 turn and kill the target that was chasing it. A 180 turn without leaving position or current moving direction.
One of the best fighters in sci-fi history.

smells airmicro
Masyaka
Priest

Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 5 times
FAF User Name: Rok-Weiler

Postby Gorton » 06 Aug 2016, 14:10

Hawkei wrote:Actually the engines on a Starfury don't move. Because they are mounted on pylons away from the centre of mass this means that (for example) activating the pro-grade thrusters on the ports side along with the retro-grade thrusters on the starboard side would cause the craft to spin.

One problem which I see with the Viper concept is that it has no retro-grade thrusters, and is using RCS thrusters to turn. This creates two problems, the first being (theoretically) a slower rate of turn. The second problem would be the need to turn completely about and use main thrusters for retrograde thrust. Something which almost every space franchise (including Star Wars) has never picked up on. The problem is seen in a lot of the battles where Viper pilots die - simply because they are closing too fast with their opponent, but can't slow down without breaking off their attack... and Viper pilots seem to have this suicidal tendency to shoot at stuff even though it means running into things ;)

Right, thanks for the clarification, from an earlier post I got that impression somewhere
I'm aware that having thrusters on opposite sides of the wings helps turning speed, but the same effect is caused by having a thruster fire left at the back of the viper, and at the front fire right. I'm also going to go out on a limb here and say that the starfury requires significantly more thrust to move, as it has more mass.

Aside from that, if you were already moving significantly fast, I don't think a starfury could in fact turn and accelerate in a different direction (without pivoting the main engines into use) - I googled it quickly and all the fans say it can, yet when I go find video clips, the fighters turn themselves (very nicely, i'll admit) to the back engines. That's pretty reasonable, and as to why - those smaller engines on the wings are certainly not going to be able to provide enough thrust to counter the velocity they've already achieved due to those larger engines along the back, unless they're not going very fast.
Probably a fundamental difference in what the writers thought was required to fight - in bsg they moved fast, in babylon5, not so much

I'm done, btw . I'd rather leave the theorycrafting battles to people who care

Also, I really want more good scifi shows (

*FAF Moderator*
Gorton
Councillor - Moderation

Postby TheKoopa » 06 Aug 2016, 15:11

Just play Space Engineers )
Feather: I am usually pretty good in judging people's abilities, intelligence and motives

Evildrew: Just because I didnt choose you for my team last year doesnt give you the right to be all bitchy and negative about my proposal
TheKoopa
Contributor

Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Gently-

Postby Hawkei » 07 Aug 2016, 12:40

Gorton wrote:Right, thanks for the clarification, from an earlier post I got that impression somewhere
I'm aware that having thrusters on opposite sides of the wings helps turning speed, but the same effect is caused by having a thruster fire left at the back of the viper, and at the front fire right. I'm also going to go out on a limb here and say that the starfury requires significantly more thrust to move, as it has more mass.

Aside from that, if you were already moving significantly fast, I don't think a starfury could in fact turn and accelerate in a different direction (without pivoting the main engines into use) - I googled it quickly and all the fans say it can, yet when I go find video clips, the fighters turn themselves (very nicely, i'll admit) to the back engines. That's pretty reasonable, and as to why - those smaller engines on the wings are certainly not going to be able to provide enough thrust to counter the velocity they've already achieved due to those larger engines along the back, unless they're not going very fast.
Probably a fundamental difference in what the writers thought was required to fight - in bsg they moved fast, in babylon5, not so much

I'm done, btw . I'd rather leave the theorycrafting battles to people who care

Also, I really want more good scifi shows (

I appreciate the sentiment. No point arguing about things which are the subject of personal opinions. ;) The BSG Viper is a nice looking craft and I wont say otherwise.

Though when it comes to space manoeuvre this is where Newtonian physics comes into effect.

1. An object will remain in constant motion until acted upon by a force.
2. That force is equal to the mass of an object multiplied by its acceleration.
3. For every force there is an equal and opposite reaction force.

So what this means is that when a spaceship turns it's thrusters off it will not stop, but it will continue with precisely the same speed and heading indefinitely - until acted upon by another force. So it can continue moving in one direction while pointing it's nose somewhere else and both the Viper and Starfury have this capability.

Now there is also another tradeoff for the spacecraft designer, which is that to achieve the best acceleration you need a high thrust to weight ratio, and this means you need to be carrying a minimum of dead weight. The problem with the Viper is that it is using a completely different set of thrusters for attitude control, and when it is accelerating in a straight line, those attitude thrusters are doing nothing. They are dead weight - and this poses a problem for the Viper designer... If they make the RCS engines too small the craft will not turn fast enough. If they make them too big then they will be carrying a lot of excess weight... Unlike a civilian spacecraft, military ones need fast turn rates and therefore powerful turning engines.

The B5 Starfury gets around this problem by using the main engines for both attitude control and forward thrust... The downside of the Starfury is that by moving the engines away from the centre of mass like this the designers have also increased the Mass Moment of Inertia (just like a flywheel). So that the craft now needs more torque to generate the same amount of spin. They have also increased the stresses on the airframe which means that the structure is probably heavier than the Viper.

Turning arguments aside, there is one critical difference between the Viper and the Starfury. The Starfury is capable of thrusting in any direction without the need for rotation. This includes the ability to apply retro-thrust. The Viper is only capable of thrusting in the same direction which it is shooting. For it to apply retro-thrust, or thrust in any other direction, this means coming about - which would likely mean that it cannot fire. In is a big disadvantage in manoeuvring combat.

One looks like a race car, with small silhouette and high speed . The other is blocky, turns on a dime and has more manoeuvring options. Impossible to say how these two fictional craft would actually perform...
Hawkei
Supreme Commander

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic