Titans the extention to PA just released

Talk about anything not related to FA or FAF here !

Re: Titans the extention to PA just released

Postby Combo » 19 Aug 2015, 23:56

I'm saying that whatever bad experiences are associated with PA, put them aside and try PA: Titans. It has come a LONG WAY from that initial release that seared negative memories for many ks backers.
Combo

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: theCombo

Postby Legion Darrath » 19 Aug 2015, 23:59

The very fact that PA: Titans exists and isn't just an update is another negative memory.
Legion Darrath
Evaluator

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 117 times
FAF User Name: Legion_Darrath

Postby Zoram » 20 Aug 2015, 00:29

Combo wrote:Spherical worlds work just fine in an RTS. They've been done before in games like Populous and they work well in PA and add strategic depth. No more hiding in an artificial corner, you have to take care of defenses 360 degrees. Flat maps contribute to the kind of late game stalemates and 2-3 hour long games that make everyone tired!

Positive reviews for Titans outnumber negative ones 4:1. The negative reviews are predominantly kickstart backers who have grievances against Uber etc. i.e. nothing to do with this game.

Maybe they improved the UI but last time I tried the spherical worlds just gave me headaches. Move around a bit and north is not pointing in the same direction anymore, which made (for me) finding my way around my worlds a massive pain. I found no obvious way to reset the view so that I can find my stuff without losing it.

Yes I know there was probably a key binding for that, but keyboard shortcuts shouldn't be known before your first game to do basic tasks. (did they finally add an iddle engineer tooltip, or do you still have to press a key).

PA's UI gave me memories of installing hard core linux distros 15 years ago and browsing their forum to find out how to plug a mouse or mount a drive, who needs icons and plug&play when you can open a console and type shit ....

All the fans of PA ask others to treat the game as if it was a freeware developped by buddies in a garage. I'm sorry but the launch price wasn't that far to that of a AAA game (until they were forced to cut the price), and I just never saw a commercial product so unfinished. I still can't get over the "solo campaign", the broken AI (I had several skirmishes where the AI actually literrally stood there) and the fan made tutorials ....

Not ready to make a leap of faith and assume that now it's a finished product ... just have to pay again.
Zoram
Priest

Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 111 times
FAF User Name: zoram

Postby tatsu » 20 Aug 2015, 02:57

Legion Darrath wrote:The very fact that PA: Titans exists and isn't just an update is another negative memory.

well it is.

... for kickstarters. many FAF players had high hopes for PA and were kickstaters wern't they?

anywho no need to get all hot about this topic. I was merely sharing the news.

I personally ain't all that enthusiatic about it.

It's really a lot of good news in one package we'd been waiting to the point of loosing hope on. but it ain't FA big in terms of a package.

it's mostly a big "yes" to experimentals a relief on balance and a glory hour for many many modders on PA who's mods have been made vanilla.

but if any of ya'll are interested I just completed my titans mod for supcom icons : https://forums.uberent.com/threads/rel- ... d-d.69647/

and Cola_colin just "completed" his minimap mod : https://forums.uberent.com/threads/rel- ... map.68808/

more steps in this direction and heck you might even see a FA UEF race mod and factions mod, ect...
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 1952 times
Been liked: 171 times
FAF User Name: tatsu

Postby Combo » 20 Aug 2015, 03:23

Maybe they improved the UI but last time I tried the spherical worlds just gave me headaches. Move around a bit and north is not pointing in the same direction anymore, which made (for me) finding my way around my worlds a massive pain. I found no obvious way to reset the view so that I can find my stuff without losing it.

Press N to align north. There's also an option in the settings to force it to always look north, but most disable it as different angles can help you to see different strategies on the map. Honestly if something like this put you off PA you really need to take a look at PAT -- a huge amount of work has gone into it and Uber says their UI team have been swamped over the last year implementing all the changes. It shows!
Combo

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: theCombo

Previous

Return to Off-Topic