Titans the extention to PA just released

Talk about anything not related to FA or FAF here !

Re: Titans the extention to PA just released

Postby Combo » 19 Aug 2015, 18:57

Planetary Annihilation on Steam -- Rating: 6/10 - ‎12,145 reviews

Planetary Annihilation: TITANS on Steam -- Rating: 9/10 - ‎202 reviews (one day post release)

This clearly isn't the flawed PA game that disappointed people a year ago. This is shaping up to be an RTS worthy of our attention imho

Combo

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: theCombo

Postby Legion Darrath » 19 Aug 2015, 19:30

You can't compare a 6/10 rating to a 9/10 rating when the 6 is the result of twelve THOUSAND people and the 9 is from a meager 200.
Legion Darrath
Evaluator

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 117 times
FAF User Name: Legion_Darrath

Postby JaggedAppliance » 19 Aug 2015, 19:41

And steam reviews don't mean much at all.
"and remember, u are a noob, u don’t have any rights to disagree" - Destructor

My Youtube channel with casts > https://www.youtube.com/c/jaggedappliance
My Twitch > https://www.twitch.tv/jaggedappliance
JaggedAppliance
Councillor - Balance

Has liked: 734 times
Been liked: 313 times
FAF User Name: JaggedAppliance

Postby Cuddles » 19 Aug 2015, 19:53

If you can get Luxy to stream a BH vs petric game on this I will buy it.
Turinturambar defended very valiantly
Cuddles
Contributor

Has liked: 132 times
Been liked: 118 times
FAF User Name: Scoot

Postby Combo » 19 Aug 2015, 21:19

Legion Darrath wrote:You can't compare a 6/10 rating to a 9/10 rating when the 6 is the result of twelve THOUSAND people and the 9 is from a meager 200.

I'm pretty sure in a month or so the rating will still be high. I say this because I've been playing it quite a bit and think it's great!
Combo

Postby Combo » 19 Aug 2015, 21:40

A late game on Seton's usually ends up as ASF spam + T3pgen/mass fab spam with the game typically ending with a t3 strat bomber snipe or a cybran acu laser snipe.

PA: Titans really shines here imho. I've played quite a few games now and have already seen: -

-- Players winning the game by stealthily building the T3 Halley(s) on an asteroid and changing its trajectory to destroy a planet (having first removed the ACU to a different planet)

-- Players building five T3 Catalyst structures (need huge eco for this) on the death star to activate its laser and shoot down planets

-- An epic drop of t2 land unit spam onto an enemy's base through an orbital experimental transporter

-- Bad scouting allowing one player to build a T4 (Atlas) on an enemy's planet using orbital fabricators

-- A player developing enormous eco by dominating the orbital fight around a gas planet and constructing multiple orbital oil and gas rigs (+36 mass and +9000 energy each).

Plus some familiar gameplay we've seen in FA, like nuclear missiles and snipes of the nuclear defense structures, strat bomber snipes, and loser ACUs hiding somewhere instead of accepting defeat (instead of hiding under the sea, they can leave to another planet or asteroid etc). Basically it's a lot of fun.
Combo

Postby Combo » 19 Aug 2015, 21:54

Actually I went through a 'Seton's phase' and played exclusively Seton's for months on end in 1600+ only games. What I described is accurate at high level play -- it's literally decided by ASF spam and typically ends with a strat snipe or acu cybran snipe. Yes it's a lot of fun and it's epic, but I think PA:titans has a lot of appeal for FA players.
Combo

Postby Valki » 19 Aug 2015, 22:28

I backed PA, just after the kickstarter - I definitely paid my idiot tax.

But I learned two important things:
  1. Spherical worlds don't work for RTS games that involve individual unit control.
  2. Don't support kickstarters, or early access, and pre-order with caution. - It disrupts the games market.

I am genuinely happy about "funding research into the RTS genre". We didn't know whether or not spherical worlds would work, and now, we do. All future RTS developers will now know that they shouldn't try that, and I am happy to have paid a part of that knowledge.

However, I don't feel that Uber really cared.
The game I played during the Alpha was pretty much the game I played 1 month ago when a friend enthusiastically announced he bought PA. (his enthusiasm lasted a good 3 games btw) The games user interface was slightly improved, I definitely noticed some things went better. Moving around the world, however, was the same nightmare.
The orbital play was kinda nice... Retreating to another planet when losing on the current planet was kinda nice. Unit spam was the same uninspiring chaos.

All in all, I find that Supreme Commander 2 was a better attempt at a successor to Forged Alliance. SC2 was better especially in intention, but even in execution compared to PA.

I am somewhat interested in PA:TITANS I must admit, but I don't feel pressured by the "2 months 66% discount", I believe it will go for 80% or 90% discount at a steam sale soon enough.
(Also, for €12, I'd rather buy Supreme Commander 2)
Valki

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 27 times
FAF User Name: Valki

Postby Combo » 19 Aug 2015, 23:14

Spherical worlds work just fine in an RTS. They've been done before in games like Populous and they work well in PA and add strategic depth. No more hiding in an artificial corner, you have to take care of defenses 360 degrees. Flat maps contribute to the kind of late game stalemates and 2-3 hour long games that make everyone tired!

Positive reviews for Titans outnumber negative ones 4:1. The negative reviews are predominantly kickstart backers who have grievances against Uber etc. i.e. nothing to do with this game.
Combo

Postby Valki » 19 Aug 2015, 23:38

Populous is more of a buildings and god-game than a swarms of unit game like PA. Avenues of attack are very limited compared to PA. Setons clutch would be just another brawler map if the 'air slot' player could be attacked in the back, the separated oceans have also contributed vastly to the unique gameplay of setons clutch.

@Combo:
However, what are you trying to do? Are you trying to convince everyone that despite their disappointing experience with PA they in fact like the game?
Valki

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 27 times
FAF User Name: Valki

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic