Titans the extention to PA just released

Talk about anything not related to FA or FAF here !

Re: Planetary Annihilation: TITANS

Postby Combo » 19 Aug 2015, 02:35

I've been playing for the last few hours and honestly think they have nailed it. I'm saying this as a guy who played Total Annihilation to death and core contingency, waited years for a worth successor (Supcom & FA) and bought both on the day of release. Played those to death on GPGnet and FAF!

I didn't like the looks of PA which has an average review of 6/10 on steam, but imho Titans is exactly the kind of "spiritual successor" to FA I've been waiting for. It's a lot of fun, huge amount of possibility, and really feels like an RTS worthy of 2015 and the TA/FA lineage. Average review on steam is 9/10 already...
Combo

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: theCombo

Re: Titans the extention to PA just released

Postby Morax » 19 Aug 2015, 03:08

Still cumbersome as hell to play and I sincerely doubt this will make me enjoy it.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby speed2 » 19 Aug 2015, 04:53

briang wrote:Yay, units that are scaled even worse than the current ones. The best are the battleships that take up like 5% of an entire planet.

You misstyped" little asteroid"
speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

Postby Col_Walter_Kurtz » 19 Aug 2015, 11:15

LOL
Col_Walter_Kurtz
Priest

Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 45 times
FAF User Name: Apocalypse_Now

Postby Legion Darrath » 19 Aug 2015, 12:17

Stuart98 wrote:SupCom wasn't an amazing game until FA came out, and SupCom owners didn't get a discount on FA.

Titans is the Forged Alliance of PA. I don't see why all of you are complaining.

The difference is that PA is an unfinished game regardless of what Uber claims. PA: Titans is bullshit, it's 90% the exact same game with some extra units thrown in and balance changes. FA added an entire new faction, PA doesn't even HAVE factions. They act like having more handbuilt maps instead of mostly generated ones is the most amazing change ever but this is what pretty much every RTS does anyway... As a backer I'm getting the new PA for free and they're damn right in giving it to backers for free or there'd be even more outrage. As it stands people just happened to have picked up PA have to rebuy the same bloody game so they can have some extra units and they have to be grateful they are getting a discount if Uber is to be believed. It's 3 years after the kickstarter and they still haven't delivered on their promises but have decided they can release a standalone expansion (aka rerelease their game to get rid of early negative reviews now that they have added more content that they promised to have in the initial release in the first place).

They promised even better modding support than SupCom but then made decisions that made certain mods either impossible or hard to do. They use a similar category system in unit blueprints like in SupCom but while you can mod in any category you like in SupCom and use that to your advantage in making, say, a new faction they decided it would be better if the available categories where hardcoded into the engine. Seriously. Modding in a new category last time I tried completely crashed the game... That is just stupid.

Oh and backers rewards that were supposed to be delivered 3 years ago but they only started shipping out last month, casually mentioning that international backers may have to pay extra in custom fees after they already payed extra on the kickstarter specifically for international shipping and the costs involved... Backers at the 1000$ level that were supposed to get a custom commander not getting their commander because the devs at Uber didn't like their opinions, labelled them as trolls and used that as an excuse to not deliver their rewards which is a very scumbag thing to do.

That is part of why people complain but doesn't even begin to scratch the surface in terms of balance, how the "expansion" splits the already tiny playerbase, scale, etc.

EDIT: Combo's thread on the same subject merged with this one.
Legion Darrath
Evaluator

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 117 times
FAF User Name: Legion_Darrath

Postby tatsu » 19 Aug 2015, 13:01

RaptorJesus wrote:Oh, you got laughed out of Aeolus so you came to the forums. :lol:

errr????

I'm hoping you don't mean me because that would mean false assumptions on all points.

I've yet to post anything about this on Aeolus still.

and this was the second to last forum i posted this piece of news on in my list of forums and by then it had been some 4-5 hours since the release and I'd been playing and posting elsewhere alot :/

have you ever heard the expression "you're not the center of the world"?
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 1952 times
Been liked: 171 times
FAF User Name: tatsu

Postby tatsu » 19 Aug 2015, 13:04

Combo wrote: but imho Titans is exactly the kind of "spiritual successor" to FA I've been waiting for.

now let's not get too happy here.

yes Titans is PA's FA

but no Titans is by no means the spiritual successor to FA. PA has had it's chance and for all the good Titans did I still much prefer FA by about a thousand times.
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Postby tatsu » 19 Aug 2015, 13:06

Legion Darrath wrote:The difference is that PA is an unfinished game regardless of what Uber claims. PA: Titans is bullshit, it's 90% the exact same game with some extra units thrown in and balance changes. FA added an entire new faction, PA doesn't even HAVE factions. They act like having more handbuilt maps instead of mostly generated ones is the most amazing change ever but this is what pretty much every RTS does anyway... As a backer I'm getting the new PA for free and they're damn right in giving it to backers for free or there'd be even more outrage. As it stands people just happened to have picked up PA have to rebuy the same bloody game so they can have some extra units and they have to be grateful they are getting a discount if Uber is to be believed. It's 3 years after the kickstarter and they still haven't delivered on their promises but have decided they can release a standalone expansion (aka rerelease their game to get rid of early negative reviews now that they have added more content that they promised to have in the initial release in the first place).

They promised even better modding support than SupCom but then made decisions that made certain mods either impossible or hard to do. They use a similar category system in unit blueprints like in SupCom but while you can mod in any category you like in SupCom and use that to your advantage in making, say, a new faction they decided it would be better if the available categories where hardcoded into the engine. Seriously. Modding in a new category last time I tried completely crashed the game... That is just stupid.

Oh and backers rewards that were supposed to be delivered 3 years ago but they only started shipping out last month, casually mentioning that international backers may have to pay extra in custom fees after they already payed extra on the kickstarter specifically for international shipping and the costs involved... Backers at the 1000$ level that were supposed to get a custom commander not getting their commander because the devs at Uber didn't like their opinions, labelled them as trolls and used that as an excuse to not deliver their rewards which is a very scumbag thing to do.

That is part of why people complain but doesn't even begin to scratch the surface in terms of balance, how the "expansion" splits the already tiny playerbase, scale, etc.

yes.

yes to all of this.

You'll read my threads on uber forum and see that I've only ever been campaigning for all of this.
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Postby Cuddles » 19 Aug 2015, 13:40

PA is PA, FA is FA.

PA added some content and is selling it as a new game.

/end topic
Turinturambar defended very valiantly
Cuddles
Contributor

Has liked: 132 times
Been liked: 118 times
FAF User Name: Scoot

Postby justmakenewgame » 19 Aug 2015, 14:28

/end PA
better colors for FA - forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5434&start=30#p106723
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3--CgLvJGpk