so...why FA and not supcom 2

Talk about anything not related to FA or FAF here !

so...why FA and not supcom 2

Postby Riser » 13 Aug 2015, 20:19

this question has been bothering me since i've been first introduced to FAF,when i first head of the franchise,i rushed to google and watched a couple of montages of supcom 2 and i just was blown away by all the badass effects and particles and giant robots,then i scrolled down the comments,and started reading the comments calling it a "plastic version of FA" and saying"this is nothing compared to FA"so i was like:alright!forged alliance it is!and went on and downloaded FA,and started playing and honestly i was truly disappointed,sure...i went on and did my research and realized that FA was superior in terms of scale,economy,and strategy,hell...a regular game FAF would take up to 4 hours while a SC2 game would end in less than an hour ,but come on!look at all the new things it has,better physics,better unit AI,advanced maps(platforms and bridges instead of just open fields,but they're just smaller than in FA)more advanced and badass experimentals(which is what actually got me obsessed about the game:king kriptor,universal clossus,megalith II,kraken,and Cybranasaurus Rex,nothing can be as cool as a fire breathing giant dinosaur :D ),the battles just FEEL more powerful in SC2 if you know what i mean.
all SC2 needed is a scale mod,an economy mod,a balance mod,and voilà!!you have a perfect RTS!(i know you guys are gonna say SC2 have less units,but the seraphim are just way OP and doesn't fit the game's theme,i'm glad they're gone)but you guys just went on making graphic updates,bug fixes,AI fixes and adding new units,but the truth is,SC2 had all that!all you had to do was putting effort in bringing the good stuff from FA,now i would be happy if you guys proved me wrong,because i would be really sad to know that SC2 was neglected while it deserved what's better.
Riser
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: Riser

Re: so...why FA and not supcom 2

Postby Zoram » 13 Aug 2015, 21:05

could you please use paragraphs, this is just painful to read.

If you like sc2 better .... just play it ?
I bought it, finished the campaign, and didn't like it.

I didn't find the graphics more advanced, I disliked the toy/manga-ish design immensely compared to the design of SC1.
I disliked the map, I didn't find them more advanced at all, just silly looking. Man made plaform with mass deposits on them ? That just looks stupid.

I'm sure it had many qualities, but I don't really care, it's a game, if I haev to force myself to do something, I might actually go do something productive, not push myself to like a game ....

And any game who "just" needs half a dozen mods .... well, it's a pretty bad start. Had the same feeling with PA. Launch the first tutorial, made by a fan, and the first advice is to go download 1.a mod vault, 2. mods to make the UI actually usable. f*** you, if I buy a burger I don't ask other customers for ketchup, I expect to pay for a finished product.
Zoram
Priest

Has liked: 91 times
Been liked: 111 times
FAF User Name: zoram

Postby Gerfand » 14 Aug 2015, 01:41

basicly SupCom 2 is a SC2 like game, even Chris was making SupCom 2 w/ this in mind

but if you want we have a Mod that make SupCom 2 like FA

http://www.moddb.com/mods/revamp-mod
Gerfand

Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 7 times

Postby belatedcube » 14 Aug 2015, 02:35

Most of us (or me at least...) don't like supcom 2 because it took away a lot of what we liked about fa. The only unique features that supcom 2 has which both vanilla and fa have is strategic zoom. It changed the teching system to what is close to a new resource. Flux economy got removed. The scale is a lot smaller, and from what I have seen the experimentals have been dumbed down a lot.

Also something that really annoys me is that it has lower graphics than fa, and a console port to hold it down.
[BC]Totaltuna: always look before you tab
belatedcube

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 14 times
FAF User Name: belatedcube1021

Postby Reaper Zwei » 14 Aug 2015, 04:06

Riser wrote:this question has been bothering me since i've been first introduced to FAF,when i first head of the franchise,i rushed to google and watched a couple of montages of supcom 2 and i just was blown away by all the badass effects and particles and giant robots,then i scrolled down the comments,and started reading the comments calling it a "plastic version of FA" and saying"this is nothing compared to FA"so i was like:alright!forged alliance it is!and went on and downloaded FA,and started playing and honestly i was truly disappointed,sure...i went on and did my research and realized that FA was superior in terms of scale,economy,and strategy,hell...a regular game FAF would take up to 4 hours while a SC2 game would end in less than an hour ,but come on!look at all the new things it has,better physics,better unit AI,advanced maps(platforms and bridges instead of just open fields,but they're just smaller than in FA)more advanced and badass experimentals(which is what actually got me obsessed about the game:king kriptor,universal clossus,megalith II,kraken,and Cybranasaurus Rex,nothing can be as cool as a fire breathing giant dinosaur :D ),the battles just FEEL more powerful in SC2 if you know what i mean.
all SC2 needed is a scale mod,an economy mod,a balance mod,and voilà!!you have a perfect RTS!(i know you guys are gonna say SC2 have less units,but the seraphim are just way OP and doesn't fit the game's theme,i'm glad they're gone)but you guys just went on making graphic updates,bug fixes,AI fixes and adding new units,but the truth is,SC2 had all that!all you had to do was putting effort in bringing the good stuff from FA,now i would be happy if you guys proved me wrong,because i would be really sad to know that SC2 was neglected while it deserved what's better.

The things you listed as needing to go into supcom 2 to make it better, FA already had. So why would we go to the trouble of adding those things to another game when we already had them? As for the things that you think were better in supcom 2 than fa only better unit AI or pathing is better. the rest are merely opinions. And honestly the maps werent just small with all those bridges and platforms they had a lot less playable space. I mean I remember one map being 4 platforms on the center of each edge of the map with walkways going to and meeting in the center of the map(looked like one big plus sign). That's so much wasted space its not even funny.
Reaper Zwei
Priest

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 18 times
FAF User Name: Reaper_Zwei

Postby Riser » 14 Aug 2015, 13:31

belatedcube wrote:Most of us (or me at least...) don't like supcom 2 because it took away a lot of what we liked about fa. The only unique features that supcom 2 has which both vanilla and fa have is strategic zoom. It changed the teching system to what is close to a new resource. Flux economy got removed. The scale is a lot smaller, and from what I have seen the experimentals have been dumbed down a lot.

Also something that really annoys me is that it has lower graphics than fa, and a console port to hold it down.

seriously?i really thought the graphics were better and the experimentals were overpowered!besides in some maps the strategic zoom was enough to show the whole map,i guess that prove how small they are :/

The things you listed as needing to go into supcom 2 to make it better, FA already had. So why would we go to the trouble of adding those things to another game when we already had them? As for the things that you think were better in supcom 2 than fa only better unit AI or pathing is better. the rest are merely opinions. And honestly the maps werent just small with all those bridges and platforms they had a lot less playable space. I mean I remember one map being 4 platforms on the center of each edge of the map with walkways going to and meeting in the center of the map(looked like one big plus sign). That's so much wasted space its not even funny.

i guess they meant to oblige the players to focus and air units?

basicly SupCom 2 is a SC2 like game, even Chris was making SupCom 2 w/ this in mind

but if you want we have a Mod that make SupCom 2 like FA

http://www.moddb.com/mods/revamp-mod

i already knew about that mod,which actually made me wondering what it takes to have a baby of the two games.

-well i guess i won't ever know what you guys mean if i don't play the two games and compare them myself one day,thank you for your explanations :)
Riser
Crusader

Postby Deering » 14 Aug 2015, 15:10

I thought that 2.5 minutes to build heavy artillery was dumb. Such a downgrade from stuff like the original 300 minutes for mavor in vanilla or still really long time in FA. Also stuff like aeon unlock tac missiles at 3 tech points. Uef get tac defence at 7 points.

Also stuff like titans and loyalists being the normal units. What happened to Percy and brick? They were so much better.

And aeons names were pretty dumb. Airnomo? Weedoboth? I mean. Come on. Surely you can think of something better
Deering
Evaluator

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 41 times
FAF User Name: Deering

Postby Col_Walter_Kurtz » 14 Aug 2015, 15:53

To answer the OP: because Supcom 2 is an abomination that should not carry the Supcom name. It's weak and bad.
Col_Walter_Kurtz
Priest

Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 45 times
FAF User Name: Apocalypse_Now

Postby vongratz » 14 Aug 2015, 16:24

Col_Walter_Kurtz wrote:To answer the OP: because Supcom 2 is an abomination that should not carry the Supcom name. It's weak and bad.

A very nice definition lol lol lol
:lol: :lol: :lol:
vongratz

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 9 times

Postby Riser » 16 Aug 2015, 18:04

well i'll say again,i can't judge the game until i play it,and until i play it i will assume it's a really nice game.cheers! :mrgreen:
Riser
Crusader

Next

Return to Off-Topic