Any medical-background people that can answer question?

Talk about anything not related to FA or FAF here !

Any medical-background people that can answer question?

Postby Morax » 31 Jul 2015, 14:55

So I found out now for the 2nd check-up in a row that I am now fairly vitamin-D deficient. The blood test in the states uses a scale of 30-100 IUs. Last year I was 13/100, started taking a 2,000 IU supplement, and one year later it's still only 20/100 (pretty bad).

I've actually noticed fatigue and as part of that many things like work and exercise has been tough. From this community's perspective, that also includes starting to become completely incapable of playing 1v1 as well as I did before. I've noticed myself having a lot of trouble keeping up mid-to-late game because concentration is tough.

Anyone ever experience this and know how to fix it? There are like not natural food sources, I get outside for at least 30 mins a day, and the supplement... Maybe there is something else in the mix.

It sucks and I'm trying to find a real solution.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help. If you have heard from your doc or anyone that your vit D may be low, TAKE IT VERY SERIOUSLY. It doesn't get a huge attention like cancer (not trying to be funny) but it will make life miserable if left unchecked.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Re: Any medical-background people that can answer question?

Postby fluffycake » 01 Aug 2015, 20:47

Hello Morax,

Does your 2000 IU supplement contain vitamin D3 (Cholecalciferol) or D2 (Ergocalciferol)?

Both compounds are converted to the active/usable form of the vitamin within the body (calcitriol) within the body, but some research studies purport the notion that D3 is converted with a higher degree of efficiency.

If you don't mind me asking - are your PTH (Parathyroid Hormone) levels normal? Hormonal issues can potentially contribute to vitamin D deficiency.

Hope you get well soon.

Sources:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9771862

https://labtestsonline.org/understandin ... tab/sample

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK24/
fluffycake

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: fluffycake

Postby drdeath » 03 Aug 2015, 04:44

Morax wrote:So I found out now for the 2nd check-up in a row that I am now fairly vitamin-D deficient. The blood test in the states uses a scale of 30-100 IUs. Last year I was 13/100, started taking a 2,000 IU supplement, and one year later it's still only 20/100 (pretty bad).

I've actually noticed fatigue and as part of that many things like work and exercise has been tough. From this community's perspective, that also includes starting to become completely incapable of playing 1v1 as well as I did before. I've noticed myself having a lot of trouble keeping up mid-to-late game because concentration is tough.

Anyone ever experience this and know how to fix it? There are like not natural food sources, I get outside for at least 30 mins a day, and the supplement... Maybe there is something else in the mix.

It sucks and I'm trying to find a real solution.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help. If you have heard from your doc or anyone that your vit D may be low, TAKE IT VERY SERIOUSLY. It doesn't get a huge attention like cancer (not trying to be funny) but it will make life miserable if left unchecked.

Have you discussed the above with your GP? Several of the above doesn't make sense to me. (Also, i'm certain that your blood work Vit-D came with ng/ml ranges and not IU's, otherwise even with a 100IU you would basically be boneless chicken)

First of, fatigue is not a symptom of vitamin D deficiency. The immediate concern is bone health and in the long term, with severe vitamin D deficiency, you can see some muscle weakness. Without seeing you I cant be sure but i'm 99% certain that you have not developed severe bone manifestations with your previous or current vitamin D levels. It is surprisingly difficult to get severe symptoms from vitamin D deficiency in the western world. Which brings me to the second point, your vitamin D levels are not alarmingly low, have a guideline:

"The majority of healthy adults with vitamin D deficiency (serum 25[OH]D <20 ng/mL but >10 ng/mL) do not require any additional evaluation. Patients with serum 25(OH)D levels <10 ng/mL are at risk for developing osteomalacia. In such patients, we measure serum calcium, phosphorus, alkaline phosphatase, parathyroid hormone, electrolytes, blood urea nitrogen (BUN), creatinine, and tissue transglutaminase antibodies (to assess for celiac disease). Radiographs are necessary in certain settings, such as the presence of bone pain. "

There is some discussion on what is the best vitamin D level, but in general a level of 13 warrants supplementation if your a high risk person (e.g. a black elderly frail woman). Your new level of 20 is perfectly adequate.

The conclusion is that vitamin D (and diet in general) is almost certainly not the reason for your fatigue. It is impossible for me to diagnose you without actually seeing you as there are a myriad of possibilities. If you feel that it severely interferes with your daily activities then go see a doc. The only other advice that I can give you is the advice I even give to cancer patients because it helps mostly everyone: get your lifestyle in order.

Take care in getting a routine that involves regular scheduled 6-8 hours of sleep, moderate to heavy exercise three or more times a week ( start weightlifting, lookup starting strength) and if your overweight (and don't have cancer) than losing weight through caloric restriction is a good idea. All of this might seem like a cop-out, but even if your doc finds a possible other underlying diagnosis, these will help you a lot with fatigue.
drdeath
Contributor

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: DrDeath

Postby Morax » 04 Aug 2015, 14:52

I may just be too demanding on myself. I'm 29 years old, get up at 6:30 am, work until about 5 PM, gym from 530-630 or 7, and etc.

Thyroid is in good health, my actual reading was 20 ng/mL - good catch. The recommended supplementation of 2,000 IU D3 was started last year and it did raise, which is good. I also live in New England where the sun is not shining so well and we're stuck indoors due to brutal winters for nearly three-five months.

I think the traditional symptoms are not too concerning but A LOT of new research shows that there is a link to allergies, sleep apnea, depression, etc:

http://www.medicinenet.com/vitamin_d_de ... /page5.htm

I'm insanely active as I run a lot of those mud, obstacle races and train like crazy. It may be me just not getting enough sleep (although I do get the 6-8 hrs) considering my level of activity.

Thanks for the responses, folks.

M&M Discord Channel

Morax

Postby Col_Walter_Kurtz » 04 Aug 2015, 15:35

Well, aside from physical fitness and healthy nutrition, you also need a fresh mind. Get hot girls, travel, enjoy new and unexpected stuff. It's easy to become a work-eat-sleep-repeat robot. That kills your energy and motivation sooner or later.

Medical issues aside, I can't really comment on that. I deliberately ignored the tile.
Col_Walter_Kurtz
Priest

Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 45 times
FAF User Name: Apocalypse_Now

Postby Morax » 03 Nov 2015, 23:47

Update: Levels back to normal after dosing vitamin-D and increased sun exposure.

Results: much more alert, awake, social, knocked 10 secs off per mile in running, added 50 lbs to bench, stopped sucking at FaF

Legit serious about all those claims. It's a fucking killer to lack this vitamin...

M&M Discord Channel

Morax

Postby Morax » 15 Aug 2016, 20:44

I know this is an older thread but I just wanted to follow up since there have been dramatic improvements in my energy level and health:

1) Vitamin D 2,000 IU for a year, daily, minimal misses
2) 30+ minutes sunlight contact daily
3) Less alcohol

Way more awake, have seen huge improvements in reaction time (good for FAF), can run off 7-8 hrs sleep rather 8-10, legit improved running/lifting ability, overall way happier.

If anyone is suffering from a deficiency don't let it go unattended; it will hurt you in all ways.

M&M Discord Channel

Morax

Return to Off-Topic