Phantom types

Moderators: Duck_42, mead

Phantom types

Postby noobymcnoobcake » 19 Oct 2012, 23:14

I think the game could be a lot more interesting with different types of phantoms. At 7 mins in you chose number as normal and at 8 mins you chose what phantom you want to be, if you are one. This option could be disbles if you want to play normal phantom.

There should never be a "this is best" option. Different types would fit different factions, playstyles and stratergy

Vampire
-This phantom receives a % mass cost of everything he kills. once he starts rolling people over and having a huge eco boost he can get nasty. Gets 100k of mass storage instead of 50k and an extra 50% power generation to compensate for huge mas influx. No other income boost.

- I could see this type of phantom being very dangerous an early alwhassa

Speed/rush phantom
-This phantom gets a 25% damage and speed boost to all units. All his units also build 25% faster Also applies to nukes... Be sure to scout. He could take down the first player with ease and once he got an island he gonna be hard to stop. He only gets a mass boost for the first 10 mins after assignment. After that he has to rely on islands he has to produce income.

- I could see this type of phantom being very dangerous with a Cybran destroyer rush

Eco
-This phantom gets a nice advantage (like current) to economy. He has a menu where he can "donate" a contant % of his income to other players to make them look like a phantom. Bonus goes up as game goes on starts at say 20% of innos income and goes up at say 2% every 3 mins? so he has to be spotted and stopped as quickly as possible.

-This phantom could convince everyone to kill an inno with mass donations and build up an unstoppable navy and roll over the rest.

So. Anyone like it?
noobymcnoobcake
Evaluator

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Phantom types

Postby NotAsian » 05 Nov 2012, 01:24

I like it.
Not much more I can say other than sounds hard.
Intentions for modification of next season of ladder
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2030
very minor and feels like a waste.
NotAsian
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: NotAsian

Re: Phantom types

Postby Grim Tuesday » 24 Nov 2012, 21:19

It's definitely an interesting idea but the types of phantom should be a bit more subtle. For example, with the speed one it's obscenely easy to spot him, just look around to see who's units are moving faster than everyone elses at eight minutes. You have to make that bonus one that can be activated when they break. But on the other hand, then there is no way to tell who they are at all, since until they break, they are just as normal as everyone else.

Another issue arises with Vampire: It's an exponential bonus so once they get started you have to stop them and any mass you throw at them to stop them only makes them stronger, thus making the only way to stop them some sort of long range arty/nukes etc... This would just increase turtling.

I love the idea of the phantom donating resources to an inno to make them seem like a phantom, it would add an interesting metagame of "Phantom is donating me resources that's why I have 4 czars!" "Oh yeah sure he is, go get him boys"
Grim Tuesday
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: GrimTuesday

Return to Phantom-X