Idea for phantom x

Moderators: Duck_42, mead

Re: Idea for phantom x

Postby mead » 13 Jul 2012, 20:28

Harpagon wrote:Phantom X is pretty balanced, phantons wins 50% of time. The only gameplay troubles I see are :

This is untrue in more ways than one. Ideally with a phantom:inno ratio of 1:2, phantoms should only win a third of the time. Secondly, at least for games with reveal, the phantom win percentage is a lot higher than 50%. If both phants work together, a phantom victory is by far the most likely outcome. This should change. Accomplishing this could be as simple as tweaking the resource bonus table for 2 or more phantoms; other more complicated solutions that add features to the game have been discussed above.
mead

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: mead

Postby Harpagon » 14 Jul 2012, 12:14

First I think the 50% ratio is true. And if it is not, it is because the probabilty to have a total noob as ally or a guy who dropps out is highter on the inno's side than in the phantom side. Not because of the bonus itself. And probably phantom players are still used to the old phantom N without reveal and then not used to counter fast rushs from phantoms. I think only the early air t4 rush is OP since the new veterancy system (but that is an other topic).
Harpagon
Crusader

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Duck_42 » 14 Jul 2012, 19:04

Harpagon wrote:players are still used to the old phantom N without reveal and then not used to counter fast rushs from phantoms.

Agreed. Phantoms get maximum resources from breaking with all innocents early on. Good players know how to leverage that bonus and can usully make quick work of one innocents per Phantom. Good players also know if they don't break, the only way to maintain any real advantage is to spend the phantom bonus somewhere (eco/army/nukes/etc). Usually they end up blowing their cover without really establishing a significant advantage, and so, they lose in the end. This is why the short game strategy is currently preferred by good Phantoms.

I'd propose two changes to address this.

a. Decrease the amount of bonus that a Phantom gets for breaking with innocents (not much, probably only 1-2%)
b. To encourage a longer view strategy on the Phantom's part, give Phantoms some sort of significanly increased mass and energy storage (100,000? mass, 500,000? energy) after assignment. This would allow them to hide more easily and it would allow the Phantoms to save up resources for later on.
Duck_42

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 18 times
FAF User Name: Duck_42

Postby Commlink » 14 Jul 2012, 20:28

I Think the storage increase would work wonders like miracle grow on phantoms making them much easier to spot, i would be more open to an aggressive strat knowing i had mass and energy in the bank when it counts.
Commlink
Crusader

Postby Duck_42 » 15 Jul 2012, 06:30

After Zep pushes out Phantom-X update 5 (hopefully that will happen 7/15), I'm going to start working on a version with some of the ideas from this thread. Since these changes may affect the overall Phantom game balance, we're going to need to play test them before the changes are finalized and released.

I'll build the test version into a map (probably Roanoke) so that I can publish it to the vault and we can play test it more easily (and with other people). I'll let you all know when it's ready and we can set up some times to test it.
Duck_42

Postby Harpagon » 15 Jul 2012, 14:06

Duck_42 wrote:a. Decrease the amount of bonus that a Phantom gets for breaking with innocents (not much, probably only 1-2%)

Yes that could work or at least I dont see negative effects. Though, as the t4 rush is by far the most used way by phantoms, I have an other 2 in 1 solution : nerf the t4 rush by deleting all the veterancy system, innos could have a chance to stop the early t4 with land def , it would also have the interest to balance factions a little bit more.
Harpagon
Crusader

Postby Commlink » 15 Jul 2012, 15:38

I mean this in the most respectful way thats to do with FA, not phantom X duck already said his not touching that stuff. Phantom is always an addition to the original gameplay meaning that pros , noobs , medium players can all enjoy having fun without having to read a manual on any new units in the game or changes.

What your discussing is no longer about phantom X ideas and is about away to rebalanced FA just for phantom X. This was never my intention when i started this post it was for ideas to improve the fun aspects and new features that could be introduced.

O and check out replay number 208744
File attached

i was innocent my rating 1053k vs phantom who was VIP, next door his rating is 1.9k and he tries to rush exp bomber and breaks early, this is how u stop them :).

And Hara stop hijacking my thread mate, you created your own please use that :).
Attachments
208744-Commlink.fafreplay
replay me vs phantom
(267.82 KiB) Downloaded 185 times
Commlink
Crusader

Postby Harpagon » 16 Jul 2012, 02:49

Sorry, I thought it has its place in the topic, just saying a way to solve the problems you sayed (nerfed t4 = longer games).

And concerning the replay, that was.. luck. Vip was not scouting, had not his acu in water and did not used his asf, 3 big mistakes.
Harpagon
Crusader

Postby Commlink » 19 Jul 2012, 04:04

ok just finished making a 9 player phantom map that built for the new paladin feature its called lavawar and is on the map vault. Its 20x20 and based on the island idea of roanke :).
Commlink
Crusader

Postby Duck_42 » 19 Jul 2012, 04:51

Cool.
Duck_42

Previous