Postby Resin_Smoker » 17 May 2015, 11:15

more to come
Resin_Smoker
Evaluator

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 106 times

Re: Under Construction

Postby Archesel » 09 Jun 2015, 15:19

This is a great mod. But now, it seems that the last link to 4DC v0.8 are broken (http://www.mediafire.com/?1bqnib4q79hvwlz). Is this uploaded somewhere else?
Archesel

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Resin_Smoker » 30 Sep 2015, 12:43

Archesel wrote:This is a great mod. But now, it seems that the last link to 4DC v0.8 are broken (http://www.mediafire.com/?1bqnib4q79hvwlz). Is this uploaded somewhere else?

@Archesel
It will most likely remain so...

While I still have all the files, the community is no longer conducive for modding / modders. IMO it hasn't been for a long time really.
To be blunt, it's the seasoned players / admins in FAF that are too afraid that something may be changed in "games balance" despite 4DC being just a mod.
Knowing this, I'm not going to burn the time required to update a mod that no-one really wants.
Please be aware that, I'm not talking about handful of 4DC players out there but the community in general.

Just take a look at the amount of new, non-UI mods that are currently available and you'll see what i mean.
Most all of the major mods are several years old and may not of been updated in about as long. Nothing of note has been created / released in years as most all of the skilled modders have long since abandoned FA / FAF. Then there is the issue of the ladder... Why would anyone play a mod that's not going to help them rank up?
All the above is why i opted to nuke 4DC several months back, prompting a ban from one of the site Admins.

Now if Sheeo / Icedreamer want to add 4DC into FAF, they're welcome to do so as I'm sure they have a copy of it laying around somewhere.

Cheers,

Resin
Resin_Smoker
Evaluator

Postby NewForumAccount » 01 Oct 2015, 23:40

The FAF forums are very bad for modders, pretty much all are exclusivly on moddb.
Total Mayhem for example is active again, but even though its got its own thread here burnie222 only posts there,
since feedback-options and exposure on this site are very bad unless you post in general discussions.
("Recent Forum Posts" for some reason shows faf-balance and nomads forum links, which are inaccessible for most users, but doesn't show mod/map-forum posts).
NewForumAccount

Been liked: 15 times

Postby S_SoulReaver » 17 Oct 2015, 04:14

It would be really nice to have on each mod forum section a nice explanation of the mod, I really miss that.
S_SoulReaver

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 6 times
FAF User Name: S_SoulReaver

Postby Resin_Smoker » 17 Oct 2015, 19:20

NewForumAccount wrote:The FAF forums are very bad for modders, pretty much all are exclusivly on moddb.
Total Mayhem for example is active again, but even though its got its own thread here burnie222 only posts there,
since feedback-options and exposure on this site are very bad unless you post in general discussions.
("Recent Forum Posts" for some reason shows faf-balance and nomads forum links, which are inaccessible for most users, but doesn't show mod/map-forum posts).

TM is there I assume as he doesn't have to compete with the negative climate FAF ranked players have created. This gives him the breathing room to be creative without having to tiptoe around numerous balence issues.

If burnie222 is the guy I'm thinking of, the he's a rampant plagiarist with no respect for the works of the original authors. Last time I checked (I think) he was involved with the Homeworld community and was one of the major contributors here as well. Naturally his releases are all works from other authors, republished under his name, with maybe a handful of changes.

If we are speaking about the same guy, I'd be weary of "his" releases to say the least.

Resin
Resin_Smoker
Evaluator

Postby Resin_Smoker » 17 Oct 2015, 20:57

Sorry it's not burnie222 but Beghins. Anyway it's been a long while but I do remember the rather nasty disscussion with him in the old GPG forums.
Resin_Smoker
Evaluator

Postby Resin_Smoker » 03 Nov 2015, 23:40

NewForumAccount wrote:The FAF forums are very bad for modders, pretty much all are exclusivly on moddb.

Problem is that most players will update their copies of FA to FAF. In many cases this would require the modder to update their files to ensure basic compatibility. Now being that FAF is updated every so often this would require the mods to keep pace with the FAF updates. Being that most of the original authors are no longer around, their is little to no chance that a mod will ever be updated considering the complexity and time required.

Odds are thatTotal Mayhem's work may no longer be FAF comparable if he's doing anything other the basic unit additions. (I.E. editing core game scripts / functions) it's very likely to be only 100% compatible with FA release 3599. Now I could be wrong but it's likely to be correct considering all the above.

Resin
Resin_Smoker
Evaluator

Postby stuartpierce » 16 Nov 2015, 19:44

I love 4DC, but I can't make it work under Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 with Nvidia. I've tried it on 2 different PCs, one with a GTX 680 one with a GTX 970. It plays fine for about 5 minutes, then the screen begins to flash like a strobe light. :( I really miss this mod.
stuartpierce

Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: stuarpierce

Postby Resin_Smoker » 15 Dec 2015, 00:57

stuartpierce wrote:I love 4DC, but I can't make it work under Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 with Nvidia. I've tried it on 2 different PCs, one with a GTX 680 one with a GTX 970. It plays fine for about 5 minutes, then the screen begins to flash like a strobe light. :( I really miss this mod.

In the DMS files there's a shader file that needs to be removed as it's no longer compatible with FAF. Can't recall offhand what it's called but it's one of the first files / folders you'll see along side DMS main files.

Edit: It's called Mesh.fx

It's also possible that the shaders Domino created have been integrated into FAF. If that's the case removing the Mesh.fx shouldn't hurt anything in 4DC.

Resin
Resin_Smoker
Evaluator

Return to 4DC