Can Blackops work without FAF?

Forum for Blackops Featured Mods.

Moderators: ExavierMacbeth, lt_hawkeye, OrangeKNight

Can Blackops work without FAF?

Postby amin » 20 Feb 2017, 21:18

So thats my question ¨Can Blackops work without FAF¨ ? is there an alternative version that doesnt need FAF to work, is someone doing that or nothing. Thanks
amin

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: amin

Re: Can Blackops work without FAF?

Postby Reactive » 22 Feb 2017, 21:07

I play with all the Blackops mods on my Steam version (which is actually just ported from the original disc). My cousin also uses Steam for FA and it works just as fine for him as well. You may need to download the original files (from these forums) though and to then manually place them in the mods folder yourself, as when I first tried from the Vault I could never get Blackops to work properly. But no, you don't need to use FAF to play with the mod.
Reactive

Has liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: Reactive25

Postby amin » 22 Feb 2017, 22:53

Do you mean the last version 12v of the black ops? Because I Downloaded and put it in the mods folder but the ACU it just doesnt appear, and cant creat anything, and the ui is like mess up, y downloaded from https://github.com/aeoncleanse/Mods and from Forged Alliance Forever, but I do not use it because it cant save the skirmish so just use the iriginal game and activate the mod but cant build anything. If you know where you downloaded the other please give the link. Sorry for my english Im from argentina.
amin

Has liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: amin

Postby IceDreamer » 23 Feb 2017, 16:47

The latest version is compatible only with FAF. Best just to start a skirmish game on here, else you're missing out on both up to date BlackOps itself, as well as the thousands of bugfixes in FAF.
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby IceDreamer » 23 Feb 2017, 16:47

The latest version is compatible only with FAF. Best just to start a skirmish game on here, else you're missing out on both up to date BlackOps itself, as well as the thousands of bugfixes in FAF.
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Postby Tanksy » 25 Feb 2017, 01:05

I have some archived older versions of BlackOps, and they all work fine without FAF. Not too sure about the latest version, currently I use V6 or V5.2 depending on if I'm running with friends or not. I could take a look at the changes to the latest version on the GitHub and see about combining them (So they work without the FAF "DRM"), although I don't think there's really that many drastic changes -- probably just unit balance.
Tanksy

Been liked: 14 times

Postby IceDreamer » 25 Feb 2017, 02:24

It's not a DRM as such, more that the owner wants to keep track of where his assets are being distributed, and make sure the BlackOps codebase is being reliably maintained.

Just get your friends on FAF, they don't know what they're missing :)
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Postby Tanksy » 25 Feb 2017, 04:55

My friends and I have all used FAF before, which is partly why we don't anymore. I respect that there's still an active community for the game but I don't like the way FAF itself plays and how some of the members of the community behave and value themselves/FAF. These are my opinions, and I'm not saying that FAF is crap, but it's just not my sort of thing. I'm only really on the forums for the modding.
Tanksy

Postby speed2 » 25 Feb 2017, 11:13

Then you need to remember that you are on FAF forum where we're making mods working with FAF and you're asking for mod that would work with game version we don't support with mods we make ^^ So you're kinda on the wrong place.
speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

Postby Tanksy » 26 Feb 2017, 22:49

Yes, but I'm also on the only place outside of my group of friends where mods for supreme commander are even discussed. If a mod can be made to work for anyone outside of the special FAF-only group, then I'm all for it because it makes mods look less like an exclusive thing for exclusive people.

As it stands now, FAF is widely regarded as an exclusive group -- You have mods and maps and functionality specifically tailored to your version of the game, which isn't the version that a lot of people are playing. This means up-to-date mods almost don't exist outside of FAF and there's plenty of people who don't want to be forced into playing your ruleset.
Tanksy

Next

Return to Blackops