FA will not launch

This is for troubleshooting of problems with the FAF client and Forged Alliance game.

Moderator: PhilipJFry

FA will not launch

Postby Caranthir » 19 Mar 2012, 03:28

I have the retail version of FA (I recently activated it on steam also) and I cannot launch the game. when I attempt to, the process starts, but then stops a few seconds afterwards. I had this problem with it since installing it on my new computer a few days ago (I had it a year ago, but got a new comp and never got around to FA), and nothing I tried could fix it. However, when I activated it and downloaded it from Steam, the game runs fine IF I launch it through steam. It will not launch through FAF for (I suspect) the same reason it wouldn't launch on its own, but I have no clue what is causing it.
Caranthir

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Re: FA will not launch

Postby thygrrr » 19 Mar 2012, 09:53

Your retail install seems to have issues. So, you could maxbe just point your FAF to your steam install of the game. If you go to settings->game path in the FAF client, you can usually even select your steam copy straight from the drop-down-box; if not, you can manually browse for it (steam/steamapps/common/...)
I waited ten years for Supreme Commander (1997-2007)
and have not a single day felt disappointed with it!

thygrrr
Contributor

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Caranthir » 19 Mar 2012, 23:03

I have tried that, but for some reason it wont work. If I manually click the exe or the game in steam it launches, but FAF wont launch it properly. I did notice that the steam version exe is called supremecommander.exe while retail FA's is forgedalliance.exe Could that be the problem?
Caranthir

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby thygrrr » 19 Mar 2012, 23:17

No.

Can you send me your logs? Open FAF, select BETA and use report a bug to send me your logs.
I waited ten years for Supreme Commander (1997-2007)
and have not a single day felt disappointed with it!

thygrrr
Contributor

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Return to Tech Support