Ranked broken?

This is for troubleshooting of problems with the FAF client and Forged Alliance game.

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Re: Ranked broken?

Postby Tiptushi » 14 Mar 2012, 09:26

Ze_PilOt wrote:Yes, that's exactly why it was planned to be removed :)

I see, there is indeed possiblity to abuse it too. I didn't of course mean thats only thing I do in ranked, just when i have agreed to play someone. I play vs random ppls too.

Anyways, if thats disabled, maybe it would be then nice to have some other way to challenge someone?

It's really annoying if I just played game vs someone, then want rematch and no way to make certain to be matched up vs him. No motivation to play random person when willing to rematch and I know my last game opp too is willing to play. (if im here advised to just quit, then it would be ofc easier to be able to cancel the game before it even started :P)
Tiptushi
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times

Postby Ze_PilOt » 14 Mar 2012, 09:49

Open an enhancement ticket.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby thygrrr » 14 Mar 2012, 09:58

Tiptushi wrote:Oh noes! I always thought its very nice feature to have, easy to cancel random matchups with it when im intending to play vs someone I know.

Umm, I think that's not the intended purpose. :)

In fact, I think it'd lock them in an endless "connecting" screen.

The coming milestone will have arranged game functionality, Challenges are also a possibility, I added it to the list of considered features.
I waited ten years for Supreme Commander (1997-2007)
and have not a single day felt disappointed with it!

thygrrr
Contributor

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Tiptushi » 14 Mar 2012, 10:11

thygrrr wrote:
Tiptushi wrote:Oh noes! I always thought its very nice feature to have, easy to cancel random matchups with it when im intending to play vs someone I know.

Umm, I think that's not the intended purpose. :)

In fact, I think it'd lock them in an endless "connecting" screen.

Well, thats how its been used by most ppls i know... Cause there has not been "challenge" - button, its worked kinda backwards, play random opp and cancel till u get man youre looking for ;)

thygrrr wrote:The coming milestone will have arranged game functionality, Challenges are also a possibility, I added it to the list of considered features.

Cool
Tiptushi
Crusader

Postby SpinDrah » 15 Mar 2012, 12:04

Tiptushi wrote:
thygrrr wrote:
Ze_PilOt wrote:It was for debug. Not sure if it's removed from the lobby.

It's been removed. It launches more quickly than you can read on most computers anyway.

Oh noes! I always thought its very nice feature to have, easy to cancel random matchups with it when im intending to play vs someone I know.

LOL You should NEVER be able to cancel a ranked game, If you cancel a ranked game you should lose the points. How does it make sense to be able to pick who you fight in ranked? If you want to play a certain person play custom.

I'm glad this is removed, Now i don't have to wait for 2 or 3 Chickens to cancel when i try and play ranked.
SpinDrah

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Kryo » 15 Mar 2012, 12:28

SpinDrah wrote:

LOL You should NEVER be able to cancel a ranked game, If you cancel a ranked game you should lose the points. How does it make sense to be able to pick who you fight in ranked? If you want to play a certain person play custom.

I'm glad this is removed, Now i don't have to wait for 2 or 3 Chickens to cancel when i try and play ranked.

what Tiptushi means is, that he wants also arranged matchs. Which is good, and should be in FAF, and probably will be as thygrrr posted.
Kryo
Evaluator

FAF User Name: Kryo

Postby Ze_PilOt » 15 Mar 2012, 12:32

I must be a proper function, not a abuse of a debug message.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby Tiptushi » 15 Mar 2012, 12:52

Kryo wrote:what Tiptushi means is, that he wants also arranged matchs. Which is good, and should be in FAF, and probably will be as thygrrr posted.

Yep, heavy emphasis on word "also". Not arranged games only, but also them, ALSO, also.

SpinDrah wrote:

I understand your point. Theoretically I agree with it, just want to add little practical point of view. There is other side of coin too, often called realism:

I dont see it as "forcing ppls to play everyone instead of their friends" I see it more like "saving few minutes of everyones time when either one is completly unmotivated to play his game out".

Because if some guy who doesnt want to play vs me, gets matched up with me, he is gona quit / go afk / boil around / do whatever else than play game seriously anyways. It's not what I'm personally looking for in ranked games. This happened to me just while ago today and it happens often.
Tiptushi
Crusader

Postby thygrrr » 15 Mar 2012, 13:57

I have three ideas in my head:
  • Challenges as the first stage of tournaments (a challenge is basically a 2 player tournament with a very straightforward schedule)
  • standard 1v1 ladder
  • anonymous ladder (you don't SEE against who you're playing, preferrably not even in game - each player can choose to reveal their identity in chat, but you don't need to be honest)
I waited ten years for Supreme Commander (1997-2007)
and have not a single day felt disappointed with it!

thygrrr
Contributor

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby SpinDrah » 15 Mar 2012, 15:55

Well challenge should be every other game at most, i really dont like the idea of people picking every ranked game they play, it would/could break ranked.
SpinDrah

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Support