Sorian integration issue:

This is for troubleshooting of problems with the FAF client and Forged Alliance game.

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Re: Sorian integration issue:

Postby Ze_PilOt » 20 Dec 2011, 11:26

Can you send your datapath.lua file here ? (the actual file, not only what it contains).

So I can make the current updater works with it, until I deploy next version of the updater.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby AwarE » 20 Dec 2011, 15:59

i edited the SupComDataPath.lua to remove those coremax lines. I uninstalled all the FAF stuff, then reinstalled. no luck same as before... is it possible to download an updated SupComDataPath.lua ?
AwarE
Priest

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 14 times
FAF User Name: AwarE

Postby Ze_PilOt » 20 Dec 2011, 16:22

I've asked you to give me your supcomDataPath.lua. Now it's too late.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby AwarE » 21 Dec 2011, 01:02

Sorry for all the fuss... my problem is solved. :D
Thanks for your help.

I used the other FAFinstaller.exe here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23847082/FAFInstaller.zip

roj
AwarE
Priest

Postby AwarE » 21 Dec 2011, 10:25

Back to the subject of this thread…Co-Op games

Great work with 3610 --- TeamPlay workz -- a majic combination with sorian --- brilliant

This may only be one small step for FAF, but it is truly a massive leap for improved Co-Op gameplay against AI.

I am seeing about +3 difference in game speed compared to 3599 on the same map

i'll upload some TeamPlay maps to the FAF vault for net Co-Op play.
AwarE
Priest

Postby Ze_PilOt » 21 Dec 2011, 10:34

You mean that you can 3610 is faster than 3599 ?

Would be nice to have some kind of benchmark for advertising :)
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby AwarE » 22 Dec 2011, 06:00

Well I use screen shots from testers to show console ‘available game speed’ at 1hr, 1hr10, 1hr20, 1hr30 as a standard that was meant to stay above –2 on the slowest quad. Now we are seeing speeds above normal game speed on slow quads and +4 on i7s.

The point is that Epic class Co-Op Internet based games [rather than LAN Party/Skirmish games] were plagued by slowdowns in the past when either:
- too many players were on the human team,
- too many AIs were selected,
- too many different factions were involved,
- too big a map
- the unit count was beyond realistic [say 2000]
- the AI was not teamed sharing resources

Many maps don’t have FA markers and many maps that do have advanced AI markers are incomplete or poorly placed. For example; some maps that say they have FA markers do not have Hover markers linked from land to ocean properly. Other maps are just totally unsuited for AI Co-Op matches mainly because there is not sufficient build room for the AI main base.

Selecting the wrong AI was another major issue… here people select a land AI on a water map, an Air AI when Air is restricted or a water AI when there is no water.

Sorian AI has very much improved the slowdown issue if the correct [tested] AI is selected. I have made many Co-Op maps that rely on Sorian’s brilliant non-cheating Turtle AI to provide a fast paced Epic online match. I know you will never see a slowdown if you follow the TeamPlay setup guide for each map, I have tested all my maps before release, some for 20hrs on 3599.[all Quads – 1000unit max]

Now FAF has been inspired to integrate Sorian in 3610 we have even faster games and the AI will play smarter with the increased CPU headroom. Black-Ops units/balance mods compatibility would improve the AI further.

Thanks again for the work that went into making 3610
roj
AwarE
Priest

Postby Operon » 26 Dec 2011, 01:44

FunkOff wrote:I did not integrate the lobby enhancement mod because we were already using moritz's lobby mod... and it didn't really occur to me, because I don't play skirmish and don't know anybody who does, to implement LEM's features because I was unaware of them. I noted the ability to search for maps that have AI markers, but I couldn't get that to work right in the UI so scrapped that idea.

Lastly, Aware, I'm 100% certain you can play 3610 with Sorian AI. You may have to scroll down in the in-game lobby to select them, depending on your screen resolution, but they are definitely there.

My friends and I have been using 3603 beta w/Sorian/LEM/Cheat Options over Hamachi to get around the LAN only issue. Normally I wouldn't bother with pressing an issue that doesn't affect the majority of the FAF userbase, but the changes and improvements you guys have made are fantastic. Especially exciting are the reports in this thread of performance improvements in Co-Op play which we REALLY want, but with LEM so the games can be tailored to just the edge of survivability.

Rather than gripe about it, is there anyway we can help you guys integrate LEM? Some of us have LUA coding experience, but I couldn't find a FAQ outlining the organization of this project on the website. Definitely willing to help out work wise or financially within reason if there is any possibility of this being completed. Thanks!
Operon

Been liked: 0 time

Postby AwarE » 26 Dec 2011, 05:46

Operon:... games can be tailored to just the edge of survivability.

lol yes yes spot-on :idea:
AwarE
Priest

Postby AwarE » 26 Dec 2011, 11:17

@ Operon… we must get together for a Co-Op game some time… you seem to like the same type of ‘on the edge’ play that I try to create on my maps.

I would like to add to some of your points because my experience has been slightly different.

AI randomization --- I thought like that was related to the accuracy of Long Range Cannons… so that they were less accurate [by up to 20%] until veteran.

What you say is true for Land Expansion Plants.
Lets look at a land/naval map…
I have found the control for Naval Expansion useful to control the amount of Shipyards the AI builds. In this case it is a matter of ensuring AI does not build too many and then upgrade them all to T3 and start building T3 ships. This can cripple the AI early on unless it has a good mass economy established. Because I play against teamed AI, I find that each AI could build 3 shipyards at each expansion marker so 6 naval expansions could produce 18 shipyards. My method to control this on some maps has been to provide only a limited number of ‘Naval Markers’ near the main base, then other markers well up the map so that the AI concentrates on its land units and defense before building a T3 navy.
If the map has no land-link then more naval expansions is good. If the map has a land-link it is best for the mapmaker to limit AI shipyard markers. Otherwise limiting naval expansions to 3 was used as an alternative if the AI stalled attempting to build too much navy. Note: on some land-link maps, that have water, the navy is not much of a threat due to landform and land forces are much more effective for the AI attack.

For priority of importance of lobby enhancements you mentioned, I would rate:

1. Set a numerical multiplier for the AI's income
2. Set a numerical multiplier for the AI's build speed
3. Ability for the AI to have a controlled number of land and naval expansion bases
4. Randomization function which made the AI act a bit more "human"[20%]
5. Customization of several AI behaviors - Omni Radar, civilians, pre-built dase
6. Ability to fill out empty slots with AIs

I could add at high priority…
The lobby’s ability to set unit restrictions, that stayed locked in from one game to the next.
roj
AwarE
Priest

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Support