checkmated by the installer

This is for troubleshooting of problems with the FAF client and Forged Alliance game.

Moderator: PhilipJFry

checkmated by the installer

Postby TA4Life » 22 Oct 2011, 20:08

With every new updated I used to uninstall FAF and reinstall from an old install file (12mb), which would go through updates and eventually get me to the latest version.

Installing from an old installation leads to a successful update of FA, however the FAF lobby says cannot connect to central server.(I put the new .lib file into the FA lobby folder)

If I attempt to install from a new installation file (20 mb) I can connect to FAF and get it to a functioning form so I can chat, however my FA cannot be updated, I get the your game is neither 3599 or 3603 error.

Am I fucked or dumbass or both?
TA4Life

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times

Re: checkmated by the installer

Postby Ze_PilOt » 22 Oct 2011, 20:40

TA4Life wrote:With every new updated I used to uninstall FAF and reinstall from an old install file (12mb), which would go through updates and eventually get me to the latest version.

Installing from an old installation leads to a successful update of FA, however the FAF lobby says cannot connect to central server.(I put the new .lib file into the FA lobby folder)

If I attempt to install from a new installation file (20 mb) I can connect to FAF and get it to a functioning form so I can chat, however my FA cannot be updated, I get the your game is neither 3599 or 3603 error.

Am I fucked or dumbass or both?

You really shoudn't do that.

Take the .lib as described here : http://www.faforever.com/?page_id=2
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby TA4Life » 22 Oct 2011, 20:43

http://www.faforever.com/faf/faLobby.lib
is this link broken?

I downloaded a new lib file about a week ago. It is 2,418 kb. Is that the wrong one.

Unfortunately I always had to go through that process, the only way to get FAF to work for me and now with the new installer it seems that loop hole has been closed.
TA4Life

Postby Ze_PilOt » 22 Oct 2011, 20:53

TA4Life wrote:http://www.faforever.com/faf/faLobby.lib
is this link broken?

I downloaded a new lib file about a week ago. It is 2,418 kb. Is that the wrong one.

Unfortunately I always had to go through that process, the only way to get FAF to work for me and now with the new installer it seems that loop hole has been closed.

No, the link works. Otherwise nobody would be able to update.
It will always hold the latest version possible, and it's (almost) the only file that change on every version.
If you really want to update manually (but again, it's really really not a good idea), you should only update that file.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby TA4Life » 22 Oct 2011, 21:01

Now the link suddenly works.

However this new .lib file prevents FAF from starting. All I see is the splash screen with no errors.

Seems I have to reinstall from the new installer just to get into chat.

Any ideas on how to trick the new updater into not thinking I don't have either 3599 or 3603 would be appreciated.
TA4Life

Postby Ze_PilOt » 22 Oct 2011, 21:05

The updater doesn't check FA on start.

But the question is : why are you doing this manually ?

If you run FAF from a protected folder, then it can't auto-update.

Chances are that it's the case, and so it can't download the new FAInstaller, leading to that hanging.

So, try to run it as admin, or place FAF on a no-protected folder.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby TA4Life » 22 Oct 2011, 21:20

I got XP, running as admin and the folder is not protected.
The FAF lobby can update with no problems.

The problem is the FA updater, it can't realize that I have the game.

What I don't understand is why I used to do this "manually" and suddenly that is no longer an option.

"manually" - reinstalling FAF, so that it could update FA properly
TA4Life

Postby Ze_PilOt » 22 Oct 2011, 23:09

Updating manually FA was never a supported option, not even an option.
If you were able to do it, it was because of a loophole, fixed now. The reason for that is that I can't distribute .exe and dll files, that was the case before. Also the new patching system should download way less datas (about 500ko in the worst case scenario - 24ko in the best - against about 5.5 mb before)

FAInstaller detect that you are in the right folder by checking if there is a /bin folder in the one given, then check if there a gamedata folder.

So you must be in ../Forged alliance/, not in ../Forged alliance/bin or whatever. The dialog will re-open if you didn't select the right folder, so there is no problem to keep trying different things.

FAInstaller is not tied to FAF Lobby. Re-installing FAF lobby shouldn't do anything special to FAInstaller - except that you will overwrite the new one with the old one, and the old one is not functional now.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Postby TA4Life » 23 Oct 2011, 00:44

I have ran out of ideas. I'll wait for the next update, maybe it will fix itself.

As long as they got setons on gpgnet, I can get my fix.
TA4Life

Postby Ze_PilOt » 23 Oct 2011, 01:13

The updater won't change from now.

Can you describe your problem with more details ?
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Next

Return to Tech Support