Game tabs out when clicking certain part of the screen

This is for troubleshooting of problems with the FAF client and Forged Alliance game.

Moderator: PhilipJFry

Game tabs out when clicking certain part of the screen

Postby codepants » 23 Apr 2020, 00:58

When I have multiple units selected and I click on the icon to build a radar, the game often (but doesn't always) tabs out (that is, it minimizes as if I had hit alt+tab).

I can tab back in, but a few seconds of gameplay are lost. This hasn't cost me a game yet, just annoying, but I'm sure there will be a point where something critical is going on elsewhere on the map when I try and build a radar. :)

I am using two screens (I keep one zoomed out as my tactical view, but don't interact with it otherwise), so maybe that has something to do with it.

This has been happening about once a game since I last came back, which was about two weeks ago. It doesn't happen every time. I made a test game just now and it happened right away -- built three engies, clicked on the radar, got tabbed out -- but I couldn't get it to happen again, no matter what combination of engies or the shift key or building other things I tried to do. It has happened multiple times in a row before (up to 3, if I remember correctly), which can very annoying.

Dxdiag attached.

If it is two-screen related I'll deal, I'd rather have two screens, but it sure would be nice to have fixed.

Thanks.
Attachments
codepantsdxdiag042220.txt
(83.87 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Last edited by codepants on 02 May 2020, 17:22, edited 1 time in total.
codepants
Priest

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 54 times
FAF User Name: codepants

Re: Game tabs out when clicking on radar build icon

Postby codepants » 26 Apr 2020, 03:54

It's probably too soon to bump, but to add some info, it is now happening (or maybe had always been happening and I just didn't realize) with single engies selected. I've reverted to using hotkeys to build radars, so hooray for workarounds, but I would still like the ability to use my mouse, too.
codepants
Priest

Re: Game tabs out when clicking on radar build icon

Postby codepants » 02 May 2020, 17:22

More information: I've also noticed it happening when I click in that general area on the screen, even when not building a radar. So it appears that it's simply clicking there under certain circumstances that will cause the game to tab out.

I'm guessing this is a system issue and not necessarily specific to FAF, though it hasn't happened in any other games or full-screen applications. I've started a general online search (non-FAF-specific) to no avail. I have gone through the rigamarole of updating my drivers, etc. etc. No change.

Understanding that this probably isn't something being wrong with FAF, I'd still appreciate any ideas ya'll have, since it is impacting my FAF experience.

Thanks.
codepants
Priest

Re: Game tabs out when clicking certain part of the screen

Postby Rowey » 02 May 2020, 17:26

are you running the game in full screen mode ? and i see you mention dual screen and im asume you have it so you can see the map on the other screen ?
Rowey
Contributor

Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 71 times
FAF User Name: Rowey

Postby codepants » 14 May 2020, 19:26

Rowey wrote:are you running the game in full screen mode ? and i see you mention dual screen and im asume you have it so you can see the map on the other screen ?

Both true.
codepants
Priest

Postby Rowey » 15 May 2020, 13:01

running the game in full screen can cause alot of unforseen issuses i would sudjest droping it down to windows mode. if you are still wanting the dual screen aspect you can uses the "Dual Screen" mod in the vault witch will also alow you do what you are now all you have to do is streach the game windows over the 2 displays
Rowey
Contributor

Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 71 times
FAF User Name: Rowey

Postby codepants » 16 May 2020, 21:07

I'll give this a shot when I can -- hopefully within the next few days here -- and report back. Thank you for the suggestion.
codepants
Priest

Postby codepants » 18 May 2020, 16:41

My screens are two different sizes and the bigger one (which I usually use as my UI, with the smaller my "map screen") doesn't use the whole screen with the Dual Screen mod. Advice?

I also found this: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=2739
—where it seems some have had success going borderless windowed with dual screens. Will give that a shot as well and report back.

While I'm at it: without 3rd party software is it possible to go borderless windowed? The border really ruins immersion.
codepants
Priest

Return to Tech Support