[SOLVED] Maps / mods / replay directories broken? [SOLVED]

This is for troubleshooting of problems with the FAF client and Forged Alliance game.

Moderator: PhilipJFry

[SOLVED] Maps / mods / replay directories broken?

Postby RoC » 20 Apr 2020, 21:22

[Updated with more information]
Find the logs attached to my most recent answer below.

Long story short:
* I once had my "Documents" Folder synced with OneDrive. The folder of the files directory was:
C:\\Users\[Username]\OneDrive\Documents\MyGames\Gas Powered Games\Supreme Commander Forged Alliance\maps... \mods... etc.

* Then I had OneDrive to end this sync of my documents folder which put the folder back where he orgininally is located under Windows 10:
C:\Users\[Username]\Documents\MyGames\Gas Powered Games\Supreme Commander Forged Alliance\maps... \mods

* All the files (maps, mods) are in place in the new directory (the second one which is not synced with OneDrive).

Now this is what happens:

1) When I join a game, it downloads the mods / maps as usual. Maps are fine, but if a mod is included, it will give me an error screen (see my last post below).

2) The client puts the maps/mods which were downloaded in the OLD C:\\Users\[Username]\OneDrive\Documents\MyGames\Gas Powered Games\Supreme Commander Forged Alliance\maps... \mods folder on OneDrive. Fine. The files are there. Still it keeps saying the message from 1)

3) The client does not seem to save replays anymore at all - at least not in tany of the above directories, and also not under C:\\ProgramData\FAForever\...

I already re-installed the Client, I deleted the old files, I had all the files in BOTH places at the same time, I copied all the files into the ProgramData\FAForever directory...nothing worked at all.

What can I do?
Last edited by RoC on 25 Apr 2020, 15:19, edited 2 times in total.
RoC
Crusader

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: RoC

Re: Maps / mods / replay directories broken?

Postby RoC » 21 Apr 2020, 19:29

In the meantime I digged into the topic myself.
While I don't have a full solution yet, I could reproduce some of that weirdness.

1) Downlord's FAF Client stores all assets (maps, mods) under the GPG-associated folder which is c:\Users\[Username]\Documents\My Games\Gas Powered Games\Supreme Commander Forged Alliance\maps...\mods etc.

2) The legacy client (which I used until approx. a year ago) stored the same under C:\ProgramData\FAForever\... (the replays however are still stored there under ...\replays)

3) When Microsoft OneDrive (without asking for it) started to change the mapping of my \Documents\ folder from c:\Users\[Username]\Documents\ to c:\Users\[Username]\OneDrive\Documents\... it physically moved the files to the OneDrive location, BUT created file links using the VSS service which virtually also pointed back to the old c:\Users\[Username]\Documents\ - everything worked fine, I didn't even notice it for a year or so.

4) When I finally found out that OneDrive had started to sync my Desktop to the cloud (WTF?) I reversed that and stopping that "backup" (that is how M$ calls it!) didn't actually roll back the changes, but only changed the system parameter for the Documents folder (which now pointed to VSS links to the original files). That somehow messed it up.

My preliminary solution (which works) is to move the MyGames\Gas Powered Games\Supreme Commander Forged Alliance\... Folder out of the c:\Users\[Username]\Documents\ location back to the c:\Users\[Username]\OneDrive\Documents\ location. That works for the moment, however it is highly unsatisfying.

Besides that my OneDrive is itching arount with non-existent OneNote files etc etc.... What a mess.

Hope this helps some folks in a while.
RoC
Crusader

Postby ZLO_RD » 21 Apr 2020, 22:38

in faf settings there is an option to use other directory
Attachments
Screenshot_15.png
Screenshot_15.png (43.83 KiB) Viewed 839 times
http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus
http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd
TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI"
ZLO_RD
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 400 times
FAF User Name: ZLO

Postby RoC » 22 Apr 2020, 22:19

Sure that this one isn't for the FAF client?
RoC
Crusader

Postby RoC » 25 Apr 2020, 00:57

Find more here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17449&p=183567#p183567 - it seems to be the same problem.
Find the logs attached.

Long story short:
* I once had my "Documents" Folder synced with OneDrive. The folder of the files directory was:
C:\\Users\[Username]\OneDrive\Documents\MyGames\Gas Powered Games\Supreme Commander Forged Alliance\maps... \mods... etc.

* Then I had OneDrive to end this sync of my documents folder which put the folder back where he orgininally is located under Windows 10:
C:\Users\[Username]\Documents\MyGames\Gas Powered Games\Supreme Commander Forged Alliance\maps... \mods

* All the files (maps, mods) are in place in the new directory (the second one which is not synced with OneDrive).

Now this is what happens:

1) When I join a game, it downloads the mods / maps as usual. Maps are fine, but if a mod is included, it will give me that screen:
2020-04-25_30_Screenshot.png
2020-04-25_30_Screenshot.png (143.2 KiB) Viewed 769 times

2) The client puts the maps/mods which were downloaded in the OLD C:\\Users\[Username]\OneDrive\Documents\MyGames\Gas Powered Games\Supreme Commander Forged Alliance\maps... \mods folder on OneDrive. Fine. The files are there. Still it keeps saying the message from 1)

3) The client does not seem to save replays anymore at all - at least not in tany of the above directories, and also not under C:\\ProgramData\FAForever\...

I already re-installed the Client, I deleted the old files, I had all the files in BOTH places at the same time, I copied all the files into the ProgramData\FAForever directory...nothing worked at all.

What can I do?
Attachments
game.log
(32.82 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
downlords-faf-client.log
(3.04 MiB) Downloaded 5 times
RoC
Crusader

Re: Maps / mods / replay directories broken?  [SOLVED]